Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11 Switching control
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Switching from ship to ship doesn't seem very "realistic". Personally I would put all my best weapons on the fleet ships while keeping the best armor/shields for myself. Acting as a command ship on the sidelines.

Given the limited selection of endgame gear it wouldn't take long before the fleet also had good armor/shields and my ship had good weapons.

The programming would be a massive undertaking though, Let's say you have a fleet of yourself and 4 ships (just like an away mission). You choose Exploration cruiser and Exploration refit, each with saucer sep mods and advanced tac with advanced tac refit each with MVAM mods. That give you a fleet of 10 ships plus yourself. When the MVAMs split, which one keeps the weapon loadout and which ones become pets? How do you issue orders, are you controlling all 10 ships or just the 4 "primary" ships and their pets follow them shooting randomly?

I would really love the idea, but I don't see it happening. I'm having fun just imagining it...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStreutker View Post
Switching from ship to ship doesn't seem very "realistic". Personally I would put all my best weapons on the fleet ships while keeping the best armor/shields for myself. Acting as a command ship on the sidelines.

Given the limited selection of endgame gear it wouldn't take long before the fleet also had good armor/shields and my ship had good weapons.

The programming would be a massive undertaking though, Let's say you have a fleet of yourself and 4 ships (just like an away mission). You choose Exploration cruiser and Exploration refit, each with saucer sep mods and advanced tac with advanced tac refit each with MVAM mods. That give you a fleet of 10 ships plus yourself. When the MVAMs split, which one keeps the weapon loadout and which ones become pets? How do you issue orders, are you controlling all 10 ships or just the 4 "primary" ships and their pets follow them shooting randomly?

I would really love the idea, but I don't see it happening. I'm having fun just imagining it...
im pretty sure the normal Exploration and Advanced Escort dont get the split them up modes. since i believe those ships sitll have the older "non-seperatable" skins.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
But you have the original Galaxy and then the Galaxy refit which came with a saucer separation module, that module can be use in either of them, the same with the Prometheus and the Prometheus refit, the MVAM is interchangeable. So a pair of Prometheus (creates 6 pets) and a pair of galaxies (creates 4 pets). Once C-store ships become single-use you'll have buy the refit twice to get two modules, but for 10 ships I'd be tempted...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
if we can use our own ships, you would have to keep those ships geared up or else they would just be cannon fodder.
And this is why I've made an effort to keep every ship in my drydock fully kitted with Purple MkXI gear.

...With a lack of content, outfitting ships actually became a hobby.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStreutker View Post
Once C-store ships become single-use you'll have buy the refit twice to get two modules, but for 10 ships I'd be tempted...
Ships are not becoming character unlocks. That has never been the plan, they are account wide unlocks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
Ships are not becoming character unlocks. That has never been the plan, they are account wide unlocks.
It was also explained by the Devs that each character cannot "own" more than one of each ship due to the coding implications.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
And this is why I've made an effort to keep every ship in my drydock fully kitted with Purple MkXI gear.

...With a lack of content, outfitting ships actually became a hobby.
LOL ,But one thing with STO you should know is that nothing come out on time and content is few and far between
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18 I was under the impression...
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
I thought if you pay for a ship, it is available one time to any character of the correct faction. Then if you discharge the ship, you have to pay for it again. If you can dismiss the same ship over and over you can get infinite modules by removing and then re-ordering the whole ship at dock.

The Galaxy and the Galaxy Refit are two separate ships, both are capable of mounting the saucer sep. module though. While I didn't try the Galaxy, I know that for a fact the MVAM works on both versions of the Prometheus. I did try that one.

So you buy a Galaxy refit, remove the module, buy another Galaxy refit. You now have two modules and one of those can be placed in your standard Galaxy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStreutker View Post
I thought if you pay for a ship, it is available one time to any character of the correct faction. Then if you discharge the ship, you have to pay for it again.
Nope. If you discharge a ship you've already paid for, you can reclaim it from the store, at any time, for free.

This is how I managed to get about ten sets of Quad Cannons for my escort fleet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 PM.