Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 91
01-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I've just read Stephen D'Angelos post and I think it really sounds like they have a realistic plan laid out.

For me, December was a huge success, with something new every week, and I just loved it. I think they are already bearing the fruits of their labours, and I bought my LTS on the back of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 92
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I really appreciate the openness on this. It is indeed disappointing that there won't be more eps per year, but there are ways of reconciling how things looked back when we were expecting tons of eps and now.

First of all, it's obvious DStahl was being optimistic. They had (relatively) just started making featured episodes, and he was projecting forwards before figuring out all the details necessary to make that happen. Perhaps he expected they would hit a stride and not spend months adding new tech for each series. But now, it's been said that each series will spend time to be stand-out quality, and every so many series a new social zone will be created. This particular path was perhaps not what Stahl was envisioning.

He may also have been expecting 'possible' hirings in the future. Perhaps the estimates included his best-case staff-up scenario. D'Angelo is looking less at what's theoretically possible and more on what Cryptic can do without sweeping changes. Perhaps they will speed up production in the future, but these estimates are a little more in-depth than Stahl's earlier prognostications, and so they take into account the realities the team has learned over the past months.

So yeah, disappointing, but I'm glad we have what looks like a more realistic expectation of coming content. I think 20 or so eps a year would be much better, but that is apparently a more long-term goal than we hoped. I think we should make it clear that we believe this is a direction Cryptic should work towards, but understand that it's more of a dream for the future than this next year.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 93
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
*reading between the lines mode ON*

available "Ingame Currencies":

1: Energy Credits (no way we will ever get anything usefull for EC ...if it isn't tradeable per exchange)
2: Gold Pressed Latinum (play DABO for Enterprise F?)
3: Dilithium ....which you can buy for C-Points per exchange.

...now which one of those 3 ingame currencies is most likely the one sdangelo is talking about here?
1. EC is for commodities and everyday consumables like hypos/regenerators/etc. I'd hardly say that it's not currently useful for anything. However, being that it's for small everyday things, I don't think this is likely.
2. GPL is/was meant for "novelty items". Fun stuff from playing dabo, nothing that effects actual gameplay (except now it's also used for some DOff assignments). Also unlikely for something like a flagship.
3. Dilithium is the most likely, and I have absolutely no problem with this, even after having spent a majority of my Dilithium to buy enough C-points to buy three ships during this sale. It sounds like you might though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Would you rather he spin everyone up and claim that there will be a new FE series every month and end up with only 2 or 3?

This is and has been the major difference between DStahl's stint as a EP and Sdangelo's current run as acting EP. Not that I don't love DStahl (b/c I do), but he's very much more of a "people person" type of producer (which is actually kind of an important trait to have for that role); and as a producer he was very effective at getting people motivated and excited and wanting to invest in something (through not only money and resources, but with emotion as well) before it's actually made.

They may very well have over eight or nine possible FE series ideas in "rough draft" form. But, where Stahl would go ahead and tell us that they have enough story content for every week of the year (because that's what it might look like) to get us all amped up and slavering Pavlovian-style, Sdangelo is looking at things from a more technical/engineering/practical standpoint. His background/experience as a CTO is telling him what falls within the realm of "more feasible" to put out within a given timeframe, and not to overpromise or even mention too many things that haven't been seriously worked on, because someone somewhere will hang onto something and make it an issue months down the line when plans inevitably change.

(Also, I really hate to put analogies of fictional characters to real people, but I feel that Sdangelo is Scotty to Dstahl's Kirk. He's just as capable and competent in the Captain's chair, but where Kirk will bluff with confidence and a smile to convince the opponent that the ship is more ready or powerful than it is, Scotty knows what the ship is actually capable of and will play it safe and on the down-low to surprise the opponent when they underestimate its capabilities... or give a "high estimate" for readiness so it comes out as a surprise when they're ready early or in "the nick of time")

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
Really sad thing is..
If they only do that many, it'll be better than they did the last year...
Two or Three times better! And seeing as how we're all still here (and we're just the forum-goers), I'm not sure it really matters how many they do. We'll eat up whatever they give us whenever they give it to us and hang around for the next batch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 94
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
*Head asplodes*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 95
01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
Would you rather he spin everyone up and claim that there will be a new FE series every month and end up with only 2 or 3?
No. Just like I wouldnt want the doctor to tell me I had 50 years to live if I only had 2 or 3. But that doesnt change the fact that the truth in this case absolutely sucks. That doesnt mean I'm blaming the doctor, just like it doesnt mean I'm blaming D'Angelo for delivering the message. But none of that changes the fact that it is still terrible news.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 96
01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past... and is smaller in some critical areas. Staffing up will take time. I didn't talk about the second half of 2012, because we hope to do a lot more once we have more staff... but it depends on a lot on how successful we are at finding the right people to hire.

I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, but I can't promise any date or details at this time. Once I have a more confident dev schedule, I'll share what I know. I don't want to share anything until I have an actual dev schedule that makes it very likely to happen.

I'm also sorry about how little came to the game in the middle of 2011. I can't do anything to change the past, though. I inherited the game as it was in late September, and I'm doing my best to bring you as all much as I can as quickly as I can.

I'm also trying to set realistic expectations with you all about what the team can do and plans to deliver. The STO dev team is amazing, and while they can't do everything that this forum crowd apparently wants, I think that 2012 is going to be a great year for the game.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 97
01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past... and is smaller in some critical areas. Staffing up will take time. I didn't talk about the second half of 2012, because we hope to do a lot more once we have more staff... but it depends on a lot on how successful we are at finding the right people to hire.
First up - thank you, Stephen, for speaking to us on this. If nothing else, that means a great deal to people.

Mid-to-Late 2011, a series of Dev posts made it quite clear that PWE was prepared to throw a lot of money and staff at STO to get the game up to speed. Add to that the advertisements for jobs on the Cryptic site (which I might add, were being actively promoted by community reps) and it's fairly easy to see where people got that impression.

Offhand, I can think of several notable examples where people have come on board with this game, including Captain Logan's '2IC', Jeremy, Brandon, and of course, Thomas.

And these are the ones I'm just rattling off at the top of my head.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 98
01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Stephen -

I think one reason people are at a loss is because when the featured episodes first began, the STO Team was able to produce 2 entire series within the span of only a couple of months. So when you say 2 or 3 for the entire year, I guess you could say that I'm surprised that YOU'RE surprised when we find that unusual. 2 or 3 a year is definitely not the pace the STO Team has been working on them.

Now, that being the case, I understand that there could be a good portion of the team working on other areas (hopefully Klingon content?)

Let's be honest with ourselves here. Not much happened in 2011 and a big hurdle you're going to forever be fighting is what looks like a 6 month period where the STO Team sat on their hands and seemingly did nothing. We will ALWAYS remember that, and wonder where all that work went to, and we'll ALWAYS expect you guys to "catch up" so to speak. Whether or not you can is moot -- the fact is, we EXPECT you to, and because of that you're in a tough spot.

However, let's get real here. For a very long time, STO has been COASTING on the fact that its the only major, recent Sci-FI MMORPG that isn't occupied by diehard cut throat players like EVE. STO has been sitting comfortably in that niche surviving off the genre -- now, you have The Old Republic, a bigger IP moving in. And I don't think I have to remind you that these aren't newcomers. They're big boy players and they're coming to play with big boy rules. They're bringin' it, they're going hard or going home. Cryptic has NO CHOICE but to do so as well, else you'll just never get ahead from where you are again. Do you think TOR is going to put out 2 pieces of content a year? I don't get that feeling.

We all appreciate your realism, so I hope you appreciate how we're equally real back to you: until we get a more complete picture of Cryptic's gameplan with STO, what we see here just isn't going to survive in the new dog eat dog world. Yes, you inherited what I'm sure is a nightmare and you're doing a very good job with it (hey, the Foundry is getting attention! Thank God!) but reality is reality. You're going up against CCP and EA. We can't play softball any longer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 99
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up.
People got the impressions they have from reading the dev tracker. Now, you might not be aware of the comments that were made before you took over as EP, and that is understandable. But you should also understand that people's impressions didnt come out of thin air, they came from what we were told. And unfortunately it sounds like much of what we were told before you came into the picture was nonsense. So I guess that sucks for both of us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 100
01-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
I mean honestly, we dont believe a word any dev makes anymore. Its just getting silly now
so take a 'wait and see' attitude, and don't bother with the game

now seriously, Cryptic's track record under atari and dstahl... it DOESN'T MATTER anymore. why? because now we're under D'Angelo and PW, who's plans and actual decisions are completely different

it's like blaming a person for a criminal past life; it's just not fair. Do they mean to lie to us? No, and why? They're real people with feelings, doing the jobs they love with a passion, even as they're doing things they must do (like the Bug grab bag, which has PW all over it, not Cryptic)

i realize there's feelings hurt, and skepticalness, and a whole lot of other stuff. but ultimately, giving the devs hell for something they didn't mean to do (changed promises)/were forced to do (Bug grab-bag, i suspect), it doesn't help at all.

/end rant
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM.