Lt. Commander
# 11
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Did you do this before or after they raised the skill point cap today?
They upped it again today? Well, then, last time I was on was yesterday using my test point stipend to do some tests and argue about the weapon power cap, so no, I guess it wasn't.

Depending on how much, then, it wouldn't take much of a cap increase from what I tested to universally increase my ship's capabilities and still get those big ground gains compared to the current holodeck version.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
They upped it again today? Well, then, last time I was on was yesterday using my test point stipend to do some tests and argue about the weapon power cap, so no, I guess it wasn't.

Depending on how much, then, it wouldn't take much of a cap increase from what I tested to universally increase my ship's capabilities and still get those big ground gains compared to the current holodeck version.
I don't believe it was changed today, yesterday it was though.
The only thing I noticed today was I had all the points available instead of being a little short. I may have missed it (it's past 0330AM) but I didn't notice any changes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:

Maybe I have my days mixed up. :-)

As near as I can tell, space build players shouldn't have to sacrifice hardly anything and ground, even with fewer points, is mostly a win because the new skills are substantially more powerful in a few respects.
Lt. Commander
# 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
I'm assuming you haven't been on tribble and tried it out? You should wait till tomorrow, spend your skill points, and see where your skills stand. If you still don't like it, then come back and yell at them all you want. :p
No, I haven't tried it on tribble. Need to upgrade the ol hard drive on my laptop. Running a 60GB SSD.

Quote:
The trick is to dump ground points into lower tier stuff. If you do that, you end up losing a bit from space in tiers 1 and 2 relative to the current holodeck system, but in the current system you have to max all your tier 1 space skills to 9 to avoid ground entirely in tier 1, so your loss is mitigated by dropping filler and lowering less important skills to 6 - losing 7-9 isn't all that significant in most skills.

Tier 2, the loss from space is a bit more noticeable, but it's also something I was able to mitigate. The space side of the split tree isn't the same tree we have currently - there are changes, some skills moved, some new skills, and some rolled together or removed.

Tier 3 seemed pretty much a wash. Hit my ground cap, got everything I used to have in space, and even had a bit of leftover before tier 4.

If you use up your ground cap in lower tiers, you actually end up with MORE skill levels worth of points in tiers 4 and 5 than the current system, and even if you don't, you can put about 6 levels worth of points into ground tier 5 and still get the exact same tier 5 space spread you can do on live right now.

My net changes from Holodeck: Same damage, same healing, some loss in hull and shield health (still higher than S4, though), but a bit better defensive stats to offset that loss... and I also loose almost no power from my weapons, shields, and aux while at full impulse now. Ground, however, I made some substantial gains in many areas - I only had 6 in a low tier weapon damage skill before. Even if I never used it, I lost next to nothing to get it.
I will take you advice into account and try it out the new system.
Lt. Commander
# 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
I don't believe it was changed today, yesterday it was though.
Yeah, was just looking at the patch notes - my post is relevant to the current skill cap. The patch today just bumped people already at VA up to the cap. I went out and did it the hard way.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Maybe I have my days mixed up. :-)

As near as I can tell, space build players shouldn't have to sacrifice hardly anything and ground, even with fewer points, is mostly a win because the new skills are substantially more powerful in a few respects.
Not True...

Here is what I have lost in the new skill tree when trying to reproduce my "current" build on holodeck before the update.

I have lost 8 clicks in tier 1, 1 click in tier 2, 7 clicks in tier 4, and 9 clicks in tier 5. This equates to 53000 points that I have lost in space (that I can see right now).

and yet... I still have 66000 points to spend in ground, which i will never use because I hate ground completely and entirely.

I have lost something and gained nothing.

The math doesn't lie and I tried to reproduce my build exactly. in fact, I have nothing in tier 5 now and spent all 300K space skill points.