Lt. Commander
# 1 New Ground Skills - Too Early
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I was just on Tribble testing the recent addition of the Driver Coil, and I have to say that I don't feel the new Ground skill system is ready yet.

With the new Driver Coil I found out that Normal Engines are actually faster than the MACO Engine, which is supposed to be faster. And the regular Engines with maximum skill is Warp 10, which you Trek Fans know what that means.

With Skills, I noticed that Science Team 3 is now trainable in Tier 5 skills while Commander level abilities are now in the Lower Tiers. While Engineering Team 3 and Tactical Team 3 are available in Tier 2.

Some skills aren't really worth investing in like Subsystem Repair and Inertial Dampeners.

And I have to also point out Science Captain's concerns that they are getting the short end of the stick in skill investment.

Thats why I'm posting this, its really not ready yet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
And the regular Engines with maximum skill is Warp 10, which you Trek Fans know what that means.

Its time to convince the Captain to give you a promotion???
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
And the regular Engines with maximum skill is Warp 10, which you Trek Fans know what that means.
That "Warp 10" is the "Floor 13" of the warp scale? We can go to warp 9.9999_ then skip over to Borg engines at warp 14, Quantum Slipstream at Warp 20... but yeah, Warp *10* - that's just out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Quote:
lalalalalalalalala *fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalaa I'm not listening lalalalala

Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
That "Warp 10" is the "Floor 13" of the warp scale? We can go to warp 9.9999_ then skip over to Borg engines at warp 14, Quantum Slipstream at Warp 20... but yeah, Warp *10* - that's just out.
At least Quantium Slipstream is a concept that supports faster than Warp 10 due to the manner in which it is accomplished. We do know what it means to reach Warp 10, and I do prefer when STO stays true to well-established canon. If Borg engines can go Warp 14, then they need to supply a technological reason for this that at least sounds feasible and doesn't break well-established canon.

I know some people don't care if STO breaks canon. However, I do, and so do many others. So yeah, that is out, absent an explanation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
At least Quantium Slipstream is a concept that supports faster than Warp 10 due to the manner in which it is accomplished. We do know what it means to reach Warp 10, and I do prefer when STO stays true to well-established canon. If Borg engines can go Warp 14, then they need to supply a technological reason for this that at least sounds feasible and doesn't break well-established canon.

I know some people don't care if STO breaks canon. However, I do, and so do many others. So yeah, that is out, absent an explanation.
Certainly a readjustment with regard to values would be nice but seeing ST broke it's own canon on numerous occasions then I'd hate to see a canon only game
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2012, 04:56 AM
The warp scale was readjusted. The new warp barrier is warp 25. :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
Certainly a readjustment with regard to values would be nice but seeing ST broke it's own canon on numerous occasions then I'd hate to see a canon only game
It most certainly did, just look at the Galaxy Dreadnaught in 'All good things' that goes at warp 13. I certainly don't see that particular ship in STO doing that. And in the original series of Star trek there was an episode where the enterprise was overloading it's engines and doing well over warp 10 at the time.

Don't really understand when people complain about cannon, when the cannon is mostly contradictory in the first place. It's only TV show and the wrtiers just make it up as they go along, i mean i think the only reference to a warp 10 barrier was introduced in rather badly written episode of Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2012, 07:32 AM
The reason warp 10 is unreachable is because, by the scale used in TNG, speed increased exponentially beyond warp 9.9 because of the way they calculated whole values in relation to the power levels present in the nacelles. Each full warp factor could be thought of as "shifting" to a higher "gear" like in a combustion engine, with each fractional warp factor being less "efficient" than the single whole value, for example warp 8.5 used more energy up than simply warp 9 due to how the engines were designed. Since there was no higher "gear" so to speak available than warp 9 the warp scale didn't take this into account and thus 10 was said to be infinite velocity. It's perfectly reasonable to say that technological advances in the intervening years added more "gears" to the engines and thus the warp scale would have be redone, perhaps on base 20 instead of 10, who knows...
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
actually...

http://www.allmystery.de/dateien/702...,Warptable.gif

Quote:
OH NOES!
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...eshold_469.jpg