Lt. Commander
# 11
01-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS84 View Post
Begging your pardon, but in what way exactly do you believe them to be different, other than the letters used?
well considering that GMT and UTC are NOT the same, being Military time (which does not always change the same way as GMT and other timezones as it is used on Military and Naval Vessels)

because a lot of companies use UTC instead of GMT (as UTC is actually GMT/GMT-1) and as most Euro servers are based in France/Germany, then UTC is more central to be used (although there are a few companies that have servers in Ireland)

but hey, I'm used to the time difference and compared to EST (GMT+5) its only an hour and barely noticeable a difference

EDIT: typoes

EDIT 2: info for those that want to learn something new and interesting
Quote:
UTC is used by international shortwave broadcasters in their broadcast and program schedules. Ham radio operators, shortwave listeners, the military, and utility radio services are also big users of UTC. All of the times and dates found here at DXing.com at UTC unless otherwise indicated.

Greenwich mean time was based upon the time at the zero degree meridian that crossed through Greenwich, England. GMT became a world time and date standard because it was used by Britain's Royal Navy and merchant fleet during the nineteenth century. Today, UTC uses precise atomic clocks, shortwave time signals, and satellites to ensure that UTC remains a reliable, accurate standard for scientific and navigational purposes. Despite the improvements in accuracy, however, the same principles used in GMT have been carried over into UTC.

UTC uses a 24-hour system of time notation. "1:00 a.m." in UTC is expressed as 0100, pronounced "zero one hundred." Fifteen minutes after 0100 is expressed as 0115; thirty-eight minutes after 0100 is 0138 (usually pronounced "zero one thirty-eight"). The time one minute after 0159 is 0200. The time one minute after 1259 is 1300 (pronounced "thirteen hundred"). This continues until 2359. One minute later is 0000 ("zero hundred"), and the start of a new UTC day.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-05-2012, 05:16 AM
UTC and GMT are the same for half of the year until the UK goes on to BST timezone.
If you if you think I am wrong check your computers clock timezone and look at London,UK and it will say UTC+0 if you are use windows 7 and should say it on vista as well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-05-2012, 05:49 AM
... anyway, would be nice if they would adjust the times now. Been incorrect for the past 3 downtimes. Logged off an hour early the first time this week. I am guessing they are using the same calculation when it was PST, needs to be +8 now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate_wars View Post
UTC and GMT are the same for half of the year until the UK goes on to BST timezone.
If you if you think I am wrong check your computers clock timezone and look at London,UK and it will say UTC+0 if you are use windows 7 and should say it on vista as well.
when UK "goes" to BST timezone GMT remains GMT. UK will just be GMT +1 during summer thats why its called BST. So GMT and UTC are always the same.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Patch is up...server down tho.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
3 hours for the maintenance this is long
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Draven
3 hours for the maintenance this is long
better to have an extra hour scheduled incase its needed than have an emergency hour come up after the window is closed.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I am just worried if i will be able to continue my mission where the maintenece dropped me out
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivil View Post
I am just worried if i will be able to continue my mission where the maintenece dropped me out
Nope...never works that way....that's why ya have to pay attention to those global admin warning of the server coming down that they broadcast at 30 min then 15, 10 and 5 min.
You'll have to restart.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I just hopped on to buy some stuff at the C-Store. However, it appears that the C-Store will be unavailable until the maintenance is done, by which time the sale will be over. Cool!
Closed Thread