Lt. Commander
I've seen a lot of shock over the reveal that most of what you get with a gold account, you keep after going silver. The thing is, I think gold memberships can be an effectively marketed sales tool.

First of all, I understand not wanting to downgrade characters on a gold account that goes silver. That cost returning players in Champions and can create negative PR.

Second, I see STAYING Gold as having a few perks:

- Autorefinement of dilithium. Nice perk but only really saves logging in for 5 minutes every day.
- Free ship tokens on promotion. Only worthwhile when leveling alts.
- Points stipend. Not really worth the full $15 a month.
- Vet rewards. Solid perk. But not really worth $10 a month for most players on the current reward schedule.

Now, with the old system, hundred day increments made sense because they didn't line up with 30 day subscription billing cycles and always encouraged people to stick around. They were an alternative reward schedule. In the new schema, they are the only substantial reward schedule.

My suggestion is, first of all, to take them from 100 day increments to 90 day increments. Second, it's to fill in the gaps so that every 30 days has a perk.

30 Days
???

60 Days
???

90 Days
Stalwart Accolade and Title
FREE Full Respec
FREE Costume Piece – Alternate Future Variant Badge
A 2% Skill Point and Officer Skill Point Boost

120 Days
???

150 Days
???

180 Days
Redoubtable Accolade and Title
FREE Extra Ship Slot
FREE Costume Piece – Special Veteran Uniform Option
A 3% Skill Point and Officer Skill Point Boost

210 Days
???

240 Days
???

270 Days
Dauntless Accolade and Title
FREE Character Slot
FREE Ship "Firework" emote
A 4% Skill Point and Officer Skill Point Boost

300 Days
???

330 Days
???

360 Days
Valiant Accolade and Title
FREE Full Respec
FREE Access to The Captain’s Table
FREE Vanity Ship – Captain’s Yacht
A 5% Skill Point and Officer Skill Point Boost

And so on. You could shuffle parts of existing rewards into new slots. You don't have to turn every 100 day into a multiple of 90. The 300 day could stay at 300 days. Not every feature has to be jawdropping. You could have more Winter event style scarves with new logos on them. You could have a free melee weapon and ranged weapon that level scale, with a slightly different skin, as rewards.

The point being, 100 day rewards made sense when the reward cycle was every 30 days.(I pay and I get content.)

I think, going forward, the whole system needs to be revised to give something unique every 30 days. You can cap itoff at 900 or 1200 days or whatever to limit your expense on lifetimes but there really should be a "cool stuff of the month club" feeling to gold membership if the perks are maintained when downgrading silver.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Lord knows Gold needs something to draw them in.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Coming up in the next patch:

Quote:
*'Career Officer' Title will be reworded as 'Sucker'
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Lord knows Gold needs something to draw them in.
Some of this stuff could be really simple and inexpensive to produce but hinge on exclusivity.

For example: take the surgeon's T-shirt. Put the text on it "Go Climb a Mountain" and you've got Kirk's shirt from "Final Frontier" and maybe the title "Frontiersman."

Take the winter scarves and in place of the Starfleet Academy logo, put Thomas' Odyssey class design team logo on it.

Have one that awards crafting blocks and the ability to craft TR-116 rifles at different marks.

Make one of them the Yesterday's Enterprise uniforms, which are just TNG uniforms with a curved out collar, black cuffs, and a phaser holster/belt.

Make one of the high end ones a TOS bridge covered in tribbles with an angry TOS Klingon on the viewscreen.

Make a bunch of them into transwarps for all the exploration clusters and one of them a transwarp cooldown reduction.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
As I have said many times before, it looks like the only reason why gold members exist is due to lifetime members. No lifetime subscription and the game would be F2P instead of Freemium. I would not be surprised if everyone, but lifetime members go Silver. That said, some incentive is required if Cryptic wants subscribers. Of course, our assumption is based on the idea that Cryptic wants subscribers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As I have said many times before, it looks like the only reason why gold members exist is due to lifetime members. No lifetime subscription and the game would be F2P instead of Freemium. I would not be surprised if everyone, but lifetime members go Silver. That said, some incentive is required if Cryptic wants subscribers. Of course, our assumption is based on the idea that Cryptic wants subscribers.
And as I have said before, you can generate NEW SALES without alienating totally free players by completely rethinking gold as a CLUB rather than as a subscription, modeled on toy company backed clubs like the Transformers Collector's Club and Matty Collector.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As I have said many times before, it looks like the only reason why gold members exist is due to lifetime members. No lifetime subscription and the game would be F2P instead of Freemium. I would not be surprised if everyone, but lifetime members go Silver.
This. With every move since announcing f2p up to now they've proven this assumption right again and again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
100 Days is about $50 of sub time. At 700 days you've only earned about $50 of "swag" if you add up every reward you've received from the Veteran Rewards program to that point, and that's for about $350 worth of sub time. So yeah, they could probably use a MASSIVE buff now that Veteran Rewards are the only real draw of a maintained subscription (since the stipend is only $4 a month, meaning you save $11 by not subscribing monthly, and at $4 a month you don't cover the $300 price tag of a Lifetime Subscription for 75 months, or a little over six years).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I think that if Gold accounts got an automatic discount of 25% to 50% on all C-Store purchases, with a varying discount per item and at Cryptic's discretion, the deal may seem much sweeter without too much work on Cryptic's behalf and without any changes to gameplay or existing systems. Accounting system excluded of course.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think that if Gold accounts got an automatic discount of 25% to 50% on all C-Store purchases, with a varying discount per item and at Cryptic's discretion, the deal may seem much sweeter without too much work on Cryptic's behalf and without any changes to gameplay or existing systems. Accounting system excluded of course.
That would be a done in one solution but it doesn't provide a cutoff point for costs on lifetime accounts.

I think an "exclusive of the month" whether baked into vet rewards or as an ongoing promotion provides them with a more sound cost-benefit analysis with a cap on what it costs them.