Lt. Commander
# 71
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think with TOR's budget, we'd have 5 factions, each with a unique FE series every week for a couple of years.
That's years away from happening, if it ever happens
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I love them both equally.

I love STO because I can make my character look exactly the way I want them to look, down to the colors of my uniform and the where my scar or tattoo is positioned. My ship is unique, the load out and crew is entirely unique, and I can choose what it looks like. I can name my new characters whatever the heck I want, without dealing with the "that name has already been taken" BS that, lets be honest, every game should be past at this day in age. My crew doesn't have the same name and looks different that the guy next to me. I like the 1 server to rule them all. But most importantly I love the space combat. No other game has made me feel more like Star Trek than this game. It is a great feeling to be able to take my starship to strange new worlds, and to shoot at new life.

I love TOR for the immersion of complete voiceover. The ground combat is fun, but I still need to sit down and program my mouse and keyboard for it. Playing as a Sith warrior, it really feels like a sequal to KOTOR series. My Twi'lek companion is even voiced by the girl who was Mission Vao, talk about flashbacks. The story so far is amazing, and I just plain love being evil to all the NPCs. The Crew mission system is fast and easy, with tangible rewards. Being able to mod weapons and armor is great, I just wish I could pick what they looked like. I have to say that I don't really get paying for new abilities with the same currency I use to buy armor and weapons. I enjoy getting to know my crew, and getting involved with their quest lines. No loading scenes once you get to a planet is brilliant. Have you been to the Dune Sea? You can see for miles.
*Edit: I just had to add that I hate TOR's character creator, 10 heads to choose from... ever heard of sliders people? I am either skinny as heck, mildly skinny, absurdly buff, or incredibly fat.*

Both games look beautiful, and each has their moments that you just need to stop and take everything in. They are completely different games, and I am addicted to them both. It is not always "this is better than that." We can all enjoy more than 1 game. I have friends in either game, who seem reluctant to play the other because they are bigger ST or SW fans. I guess I am lucky because I enjoy both universes equally (you can tell by my characters... Darth Maul in STO and Locutus of Sith in TOR)
I get where those types are coming from, I can't stand playing WOW for the same reason... no matter how good everyone tells me it is, I just don't like the fantasy genre.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Even considering how paltry the launch was--over a similar dev time, it's surprising how much Cryptic did with far less than Bioware (granted, Bioware had much more expensive marketing).

I really enjoy SWTOR and feel it's more rewarding to explore but, ultimately, STO has a stronger DOFF system and Space Combat--how that happened is a mystery to me.
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor View Post
...ultimately, STO has a stronger DOFF system
Seeing as the DOff system is supposed to be a mini-game hook and time-sink, I don't consider that surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor View Post
...and Space Combat--how that happened is a mystery to me.
Well, that's not really a mystery to me since technically Space Combat in STO is basically a Flying Superhero from CO that is wearing a space-ship costume instead of a mask and cape. Cryptic had that type of gameplay already nailed back in the day with CoH/V actually.

Lt. Commander
# 75
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Even considering how paltry the launch was--over a similar dev time, it's surprising how much Cryptic did with far less than Bioware (granted, Bioware had much more expensive marketing).

I really enjoy SWTOR and feel it's more rewarding to explore but, ultimately, STO has a stronger DOFF system and Space Combat--how that happened is a mystery to me.
You know, I remember how I found stumbled onto STO in development. I didn't know if it was a game or a fan club. I think Startrek.com and the magazine had folded at that time and I was just searching for something, anything, Trek to hold onto. Definitely less hype than TOR's marketing, and there is still a steady flow of new Star Wars for us. Star Wars has always had a seemingly easy time of marketing compared to Trek. Maybe because it's creator is a still living rich guy who can afford to have his hands in everything. You can tell he takes the time to research what he invests SW into, well besides Robot Chicken. We have a SW tv show now, and the 2nd release of the prequels around the corner followed by the 3rd release of the original trilogy.
Last I checked, the next ST film is set for 2014, right? Anything else on the plate?
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
JJ Trek II was supposed to come out summer 2011 but Indiana Jones and James Bond has to dress up like cowboys and shoot at some aliens (the writers got roped into writing that instead). Currently the next Trek movie is supposed to come out summer 2012 last I checked.
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
May 17, 2013 is the current release date.
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
sto for me is a bit dated in terms of still no major content, tor is new and shiney with a lot going for it the missions have multiple outcomes and even effect later missions in the game.

i was surprised when i let a jedi padawan live later to be facing her again as acuser of murdering her master.

its this possible replayability that has me enjoying tor, sto on the other hand doesnt have this level of replayability. play 1 toon to end game and you have played them all to end game.

the lack of meaning ful content is also keeping me away from sto, the whole bridge officer system seems to be a bit of a smoke and mirror affair

they are both good games and i would say play what you enjoy but dont haunt a mmo you no longer play just because you can. move on accept the loses and enjoy whatever you are doing. remember this is meant to be a game not a job.

i still love startrek but tor is currently winning for the time being.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
And that is all she/he/it/Q wrote.

Q
Closed Thread