Lt. Commander
# 41
12-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider
First I'll go on record that I like the change and fully support it.

I will say that again even though it was explained fully, some people cannot picture it. I understand that you are not "losing" any skill points in the “space area” and in fact may be slightly better off with the new system, however the people complaining that “why cannot I spend all my skill points the way I want to” tell me people do not necessarily understand the new structure.

So, in my opinion, please consider a small change.

Space skill points and ground skill points.

With two pools of points, people will see that there really is no big change to space, and they are free to not assign and leave unused any ground skill points they wish, since they do not use them.

This also mirrors the reason they have the points….. skills acquired through experience. A captain that has lived through a hundred space battle gains experience with space battles… not ground conflicts. As you level, you should also EARN the points separately. If you’ve avoided ground battles, you may be an admiral in space, but only the skill of an ensign on ground.
love this idea. we should get the same amount of points we do now for space and also for ground.
Lt. Commander
# 42 Space dictatorship
12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Why is the concept of keeping seperate the ground and space leveling so difficult for those in cryptic to grasp the concept of?? First off, my earned skill points are MY OWN, I put in the time necessary to collect them, and PAID A LIFETIME SUB for the opportunity, Don't try and tell me that I HAVE to spend a certain amount on something that I don't want to spend them on and stop being so DAM STINGY with the cost of re-leveling everytime you guys think you make it better under this concept, YOU DON"T. And if the current skill leveling form is implemented live, STO will NOT be receiving any more of my time, effort, or money, but Star Wars will. You guys at Cryptic have dropped the ball on this one. Pick it up and fix it so I can enjoy my lifetime sub again or c-ya's around!
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Man i need to load up tribble and try these out.
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider
This also mirrors the reason they have the points….. skills acquired through experience. A captain that has lived through a hundred space battle gains experience with space battles… not ground conflicts. As you level, you should also EARN the points separately. If you’ve avoided ground battles, you may be an admiral in space, but only the skill of an ensign on ground.
I think people get it but the problem remains that they may never decide to beam down off their ship as it were or fight much on ground, as they have four BOFFS for that task of staying alive & killing ground enemies.

Yet players will find that they have all these points at the RA and VC level that are going unused because those points are locked to ground skills. Lost potential is the thing that is angering so many.
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleranceissuicide
Why is the concept of keeping seperate the ground and space leveling so difficult for those in cryptic to grasp the concept of?? First off, my earned skill points are MY OWN, I put in the time necessary to collect them, and PAID A LIFETIME SUB for the opportunity, Don't try and tell me that I HAVE to spend a certain amount on something that I don't want to spend them on and stop being so DAM STINGY with the cost of re-leveling everytime you guys think you make it better under this concept, YOU DON"T.
I don't think its difficult for them to understand; you are already restricted into where you can put the points; you can't put 10 points into any skill, you can only buy level 2 skills until a certain amount has been spent on level 1, nor can you reduce level one skills below that level, this is just another restriction. In this case they are saying that proprtionally you have to spend some on ground to be a rounded starship captain; and that's a factor of game balance, if that is unacceptable to you, i think you will find similiar problems (in different shapes) on any MMO or frankly any game that you play.

To my knowledge there is no cost to "re-level" a character when it is forced on you like this, it is FREE, if you want to plan it first nip over to Redshirt or Tribble... and test them there. If you are an LTS you get 400 CP a month, which is the same as a respec every month if you really need it, and to be honest you need to respec less often under then new skill system...
Lt. Commander
please read below, sorry for the repeat post..
Lt. Commander
i have a nice idea, why not raise the skill point cap? you already made changes twice now that drew back down on the experience, and now we have to endure yet another? do you have some sort of theory there that the more difficult you make game play the more people will love it and come in droves to relish the wondrous pleasure of dissapointment and utter despair or at the very least unending frustration of not accomplishing goals? i have a prediction, (and i think already those that are subscribe to the above theory or something like it are not wanting to really read this post) I think that after a long while perhaps even a year and MANY many complaints, perhaps a pre-setup cap of people leaving the game with this or a similar complaint you will either yet again revamp all skills and or some similar frustrating method of re-tooling skills or simply raise the cap level ENOUGH to allow maybe not an all out lev to the top, but better than it was before this nonsense started to get people back in the game or at least the people you have left to actually enjoy it well enough to play more often. I applaud you, you wanted to make more money, you found a viable way to do it,DONT KILL THE GOOSE THAT LAYS THE GOLDEN EGGS.

A long time back I left a game called Eve. That game held a lot of promise but the developers decided to let a bunch of gate ganking pirates or ninjas ruin the experience for a lot of people, in plain language, the game got too frustrating to play. a couple of years later and after a loss of a lot of players they finally got the message and made it a place for both pirates and civies to enjoy. they are now getting more payers, and after this i suspect at least one more from this game. please check my record before you dismiss my letter, you'll find i spend a good amount of money here on a regular basis, from the start, not just when you changed the format to ftp. all this could probably be said simply, -when a game becomes too easy, or TOO HARD, or too frustrating, it is no longer a game.
if you really read this devs, thanks for your time, if not dont worry, i will pobably not be posting again.
Lt. Commander
Please totally disregard the last post. Instead of waiting and trying it out to see, I am guilty of being a "whiner".
I learned a valuable lesson and am not too proud to admit it. That said, Grats to you STO Dev team, and Cryptic. It must have been a very math intensive grueling job to straighten out the skill system AND get FTP out on time. Yup, I tested my ship and space, I was one of those who invested about 90% points in ship. I was prepared for the worst, but to my surprise a LOT more balance was achieved tween what abilities should do too, not just a ground revamp but a space one as well. Yeah, till I adjust the skills, choose BO's and change tactics, my ship is a bit more "fragile". But it packs a very powerful punch. (I'm a tac in a ill bug). But that's not all.....I also get a much stronger ground setup too. Something I think my fellow teammates in stf's will appreciate instead of cursing, moaning and finally leaving me totally alone (last ground stf's I did) in the stf.
Kudos to you guys, and.... I'll be much more patient next time.
Gojored