Roll tide! Go 'bama!
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Roll tide! Go 'bama!
You better believe it!

As for the whole volunteer mod things, just give all Cryptic employees the power to be mods. At least that way there is still accountability and we know some of them like to hang out here after hours.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
You better believe it!

As for the whole volunteer mod things, just give all Cryptic employees the power to be mods. At least that way there is still accountability and we know some of them like to hang out here after hours.
Some of them might not want to, and I couldn't blame them lol
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
people from the community who are interested to submit a community ticket from our support site, with the subject “Community Moderator Application”.
Ok, I went to the Support page, what should be the Category *Community/Forum Issues?

Issue Summary * “Community Moderator Application”?
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
That would be my guess.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM

I understand and agree that there will be a need for many more moderators very soon. I even believe this process should've begun weeks ago considering F2P is here in ten days.

I've been for Cryptic on some issues and against them on others. I've tried (not always successfully) to argue logically and dispassionately. For the most part, people who fall on the opposite side of an issue have argued their point with me in a very respectful manner. There's been playful "jabs" meant to lighten the mood and I've never taken any of those personally, as I hope none of mine ever were.

Sorry for the long winded preface, but here's my point; There are ALWAYS people who come in to every thread to insult anyone who's opinion is different from theirs. This is not isolated to one side, there are the "Cryptic can do no right" crowd, and the "Cryptic can do no wrong" crowd. My biggest concern is this; I doubt Cryptic would choose moderators from the "Cryptic sucks" crowd and I don't think they should, but I do believe that the "Cryptic is God" crowd has a good shot of becoming moderators. They never say anything negative about Cryptic, and they definitely have the mindset that would motivate them to volunteer for a payless "job" with Cryptic.

I'm fearful that if this is the pool from which the new moderators will come, that the forums will quickly become deserted, that anyone who dares to disagree with some change or marketing scheme (red boxes), will get banned for speaking out. I'm not trying to imply that this is what Cryptic wants, I'm just saying it's a worry of mine.

I honestly believe that it is important for the community to ALWAYS be able to voice their opinion of Cryptic or STO - for OR against - and NOT be picked on for that opinion. EVERYONE here contributes to the life of STO and the success or failure of Cryptic, EVERYONE here deserves to communicate their opinions to Cryptic - fanboys and nay-sayers alike. Some trolls not withstanding, this is currently how it is, I hope the new batch of volunter moderators doesn't change it.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the length.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Just what we DON"T need. There's already been enough hate between the community and the overmoderation AS-IS <.<. I've never, once, been to a forum where community moderators has been good.

I mean, honestly, is PWI/Cryptic so cheap they can't afford to pay a few people minimum wage to moderate the forums..?
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, speaking for myself, I'd be happy to take up the banner and dish out infractions for things like fowl language or blatant abuse of other forum users who exercise their right to state their opinion. Extreme measures against extreme trollishness.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

I'm fearful that if this is the pool from which the new moderators will come, that the forums will quickly become deserted, that anyone who dares to disagree with some change or marketing scheme (red boxes), will get banned for speaking out. I'm not trying to imply that this is what Cryptic wants, I'm just saying it's a worry of mine.

I have this same fear as well, as I have seen this exact thing happen elsewhere and it became worse the more it went on.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Patton
I have this same fear as well, as I have seen this exact thing happen elsewhere and it became worse the more it went on.
Any moderator worth his salt will only dish out infractions if the person truly deserves it. Not only that, they'll defend forum users who have been unjustly threatened with an infraction.

If any one moderator thinks someone deserves an infraction, I hope it goes to the rest of the team to see what they think.

That's why I suggest some kind of Star Trek loyalty test before hiring anybody.
Closed Thread