Lt. Commander
# 21
01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Last time this happened to me, I had a router that was failing...

Some things worked fine, but random stuff just lagged/froze (ie, Starcraft2 worked fine, STO, I sometimes could log in, but if I did, my ship wouldnt move anywhere, and I had a ton of errors)

Check with your ISP to see if they can see issues on their end, or your router.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-08-2012, 10:13 AM
It's really getting to me now, Have spent 50 mins trying to load the Sol system and it's still stuck, Don't know what was in that update the other day but whatever it was it is ruining my game
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega273
I ran a trace and there are like 10 hops with a ping of 1000ms!

All through germany.

How do I force a different route?

Can I?
The launcher has a proxy setting that may help with this.

I don't think Cryptic has a setup like bigger MMOs such as WoW which has servers housed by companies like AT&T in multiple countries. I'm pretty sure that any users on other continents have to battle for bandwidth through undersea backbones with any other sort of traffic out there.

I work for a NY based company and we have basically a small copy of our company in the UK... the ping times between servers in the data centers are like around 100ms most of the time, but there are plenty of times where it's just terrible for no apparent reason.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
I ran a trace and there are like 10 hops with a ping of 1000ms!

All through germany.

How do I force a different route?

Can I?
You cant, you need to contect your ISP and he then contacts the backbone provider. As said its not cryptics fault but some routers in the backbone net are either overloaded or failing and thats why you get a bad ping... nothing cryptic can do.... of course you also could switch ISP.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Sadly I think you might be right.

But thats a pain because I don't speak Polish well.

Lt. Commander
# 26
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Seeing as the issue only appeared today.

What are the chances that one of the servers in the route fell over today and as its sunday, they are not in the office to fix it.

And all this will go away tomorrow?

(he says hopefully)

Rik
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
i have the same slow problem, can not enter to game... tracert and ping test in post:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ht=server+lags
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Seeing as the issue only appeared today.

What are the chances that one of the servers in the route fell over today and as its sunday, they are not in the office to fix it.

And all this will go away tomorrow?

(he says hopefully)

Rik
Trust me: No company in their right mind who run serves leaves them unattended... there is always someone keeping an eye on them...

Now if they act on it is a different story... But imagine if a server caught fire or somthing like that... no... someone is looking.

That said: It's doubtful that the error is Cryptic side... its somewhere between your PC and cryptic i belive... And before you dismiss it: I've been DC'ed every 20 mins today, and I am working under that assumption right now.