Lt. Commander
# 1 Why the jump?
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Why the jump in prices for items in the c store? isnt that less incentive for the player base to spend extra cash on the items? and what items are still unlocked account wide and which are for the character that buys them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Due to the way the game is going to be set up, subscriptions are pretty much a thing of the past. To recoup some of those losses, they need to increase the prices on C-Store items. After all, who in their right mind would pay for a subscription each month when they can get the same rewards as a regular subscriber by paying for one month, get their characters to max level, then not pay a subscription again. The only reason why there are gold members is due to lifetime subscribers.

I think ships and uniforms are account wide, but pets no longer are.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Since cryptic are selling digital goods I thought it would make more sense to drive up sales through volume instead of individual prices. Previously I had no trouble shelling out for 500 points at a go knowing I'd be able to pick and choose a few costumes and maybe even have a little left over to spend on some random trinket after a few purchases. At this rate at 440 points per costume and 320 for the cheapest bridge pack I simply feel no incentive to spend any money on anything cosmetic anymore (not even through Dilithium grinding. 150k+ for a new uniform? no thanks). Same goes for ships too. By linking ships to huge Dilithium costs and therefore monetizing it through the exchange, I'm less inclined to experiment with builds, which means the game is more likely to grow stale for me sooner (because lets admit, the end game grind doesn't otherwise offer a huge range of variety at this point), which in the end means leaving the game sooner out of boredom and less money for cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
After my little crack bender on a C-store spree for that Jem'hadar ship i never managed to get i really didn't see much point in buy c-points ever again. Knowing that costumes and such are going to be even more expensive than what they ever should be i think i'll delete my CC from the site all together. If they're not account wide, then they're not even worth the old price for things let alone the new higher prices.

Being too greedy and bad Government is what destroyed the Star Trek world in the first place, and with the way things are going, it will destroy STO as well.

EDIT: things still seem to be account wide, but i didn't see any indication on ships. Still though seeing the prices for stuff, even WITH a stippend, it just doesn't seem worth it. Costumes should be unisex so they're not charging us for 2 uniforms worth. ships i'll probably wait for a sale.

I honestly doubt that i'll spend any more money in the C-store ever again. It just doesn't seem worth it any more.