Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Is there open space pvp yet? if by open you mean instnaced via que format then yes.

Is there more then 8v8 or whatever it was on launch? there is 5v5 arena (sometimes as low as 3v3) and up to 10v10 cap and holds.

Is all pvp still instanced arena? see first anwser

Is there big 30 on 30 or 50 on 50 fleet battles yet? i dont think theres ever been anything more then 20.... and that was for pve events.

heres the awesomeness that has occured while all the sleepy people were gone-

(see what i did there?)
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-06-2012, 02:52 AM
well that was a waste of a X gig download..... thanks for the info, i was hoping cryptic was going to attempt to keep this IP alive (they are good guys actually i've met them) but i suppose it wasn't in the business model. Another MMO to the graveyard. But at least they got that bonus for finishing the game in the alotted time :0 Take it easy Star Trek friends, maybe one day........ one day........ hopefully CBS will get their head out of their *** and give this IP to a big budget company.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-06-2012, 05:51 AM
There have been many changes to PvP, including a whole slew of wunder-gimmick consoles.

Or did you mean good changes?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-06-2012, 07:01 AM
I hate to see PvP die like this... I had a lot of fun before. It was the best challenging part of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-06-2012, 07:06 AM
If you want PvP, I suggest Asheron's Call. Every other PvP follows the same model STO has. Or just make your own MMO, named "PVP all the time", with various weapons like chairs, pistols, howitzers, brass knuckles, nuclear warheads, magical ponies, machine guns, trebuchets, and land mines.

It could be the single most awesome PvP MMO ever.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadName62131
Since a email went out to a lot of people saying hey free to play! a lot of people are going to be coming in here asking about pvp, since its why a ton of people never bothered sticking around.

Is there open space pvp yet?

Is there more then 8v8 or whatever it was on launch?

Is all pvp still instanced arena?

Is there big 30 on 30 or 50 on 50 fleet battles yet?

thanks for your answers, and i haven't played since a month after launch.
Open PvP: No, not yet. It was on Tribble for a week then yanked down (due to glaring issues) and then never heard of again. One of the community reps (PWE_BranFlakes) said he'd look into getting an update for us on it, but that was ~4 weeks ago and we haven't gotten an update yet.

Match sizes: It's still a standard 5v5 (though some games will launch with 3v3 or 4v4), though you have the option of creating a private match (in which teams can even have mixed factions) for 10v10.

Instances: Yep, still instanced Arenas, except for Ker'rat (which is still broken).
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
There's no way around it, the Klingons have an advantage in pvp over almost any federation ship. This is because of cannons, fighters, and a number of other reasons. PVP is just pure garbage. You fly up to the guy and fire everything you've got. More than likely, the pro Klingon is going to sit on your hull and fire until he destroys you. I mean, there's nothing about PVP to like. Literally nothing. The queue can't even balance the teams correctly not just based on level, but based on ship or something. I returned to STO after a year and there's literally nothing new about the game that I like and the changes that they made have caused the game to get worse.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon760 View Post
There's no way around it, the Klingons have an advantage in pvp over almost any federation ship. This is because of cannons, fighters, and a number of other reasons. PVP is just pure garbage. You fly up to the guy and fire everything you've got. More than likely, the pro Klingon is going to sit on your hull and fire until he destroys you. I mean, there's nothing about PVP to like. Literally nothing. The queue can't even balance the teams correctly not just based on level, but based on ship or something. I returned to STO after a year and there's literally nothing new about the game that I like and the changes that they made have caused the game to get worse.
I'm pretty sure that was me. I built to test out the bonuses from a new KDF STF shield and see how tanky it can be. You were fighting against a sci brel w/over 10k shielding per side and high defense rating. Also, I had HE 1&3, TSS 1&3, epts1 (w/doff for +15 all power levels), brace for impact (w/2 green doffs for shield regen trigger), and 2 sci team II. In addition I had 3 items of the borg set. But, other than healing and a couple of sci skills (energy syphon 1, tb 1, gw3) the build doesn't bring much to a fight.

I've been popped in the arena plenty, but more often then not it takes a team effort, eg a game w/Pandas they won the match easily enough (and popped my build on more then one occassion). I've been in other matches where I'm tbr'd away from fights quite often. The point being there are some OP things, but unlike before they seem to be addressing them sooner than later (the shield is losing it's defensive bonus and in a testing phase on tribble) and it's no something a good team can't overcome.

As for the KDF advantage apparently you weren't around for TeamFaW which would auto target a cloaked ship and pop it before it could do anything, and it wasn't change for many months. Or the nearly year long time where the vast majority of the P2W consoles and ships were Fed. Or the KDF weapon given to Feds for months and OP, only to be nerfed shortly before the KDF had access to it. The Fed has had plenty of days in the sun, and there's a big increase in the effort to balance things (particular by a new dev Jeremy).