Lt. Commander
# 101
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Moderators report to and are a part of Marketing (MarCom). They are responsible for PR as well as rule enforcement and they use moderation to accomplish goals in both areas.

We've seen moderation used for PR motives here before. "Crackdown Style" moderation ended up being a detriment to the community and the overly strict moderator ended up relieved of their job. With "more boots on the ground" Marketing could attempt this again, except this time it won't be blatantly apparent on the Dev Tracker.

If Cryptic ends up using Player Moderators to white wash general negativity and hand out warnings en masse in attempts to control their image on the forums then this will backfire. We'll just have to see if this ends up being "Moderation to Protect Kids" or "PR Censorship & Image Control."
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
a poll? really so its all down to a vote for me contest, yeah, this is gonna go over well. This is getting worse by the day, Scrap this idea before you get yourself in a jam.
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
a poll? really so its all down to a vote for me contest, yeah, this is gonna go over well. This is getting worse by the day, Scrap this idea before you get yourself in a jam.
this, a popularity contest is something we don't need. Stormy, yes I'm back :p. its time for old man Butters to go on one of his walks down memory lane.

back in, I want to say mid 2009 there was a IRC channel that had gained a wide spread fallowing. nearly all the active members in the community, it was rather small and close knit at the time. ended up there; so much so that it kind of became the defacto link between Cryptic devs, Mostly Gozer, Awein ( the them Community Rep) and a few others.

now keep in mind that STO was still in its F&F stage, CB did not start for at least 6 months if not longer, its a little fuzzy as to the time line but that is not the point i am trying to make. now as the game and its community grew this channel became more and more popular. so much so that cryptic clamed it as "The Offical Star Trek Online IRC Channel" now before that the channel had been created and ran by one of the early fleets called All Out Assult. and as they had been running the channel so long cryptic just left them in charge.

the problems started soon after. as new people came along and clashed with the "old timers" arguments happen ( arguments! on the interwebs no way) and the mods, being the old timers were kicking the upstarts.

now this being the Official channel cryptic had to step in and moderate it themselves. a added responsibly to go restart negotiations with CBS, but that is a story for another time.

TLDR this is not the first time Cryptic has tried this

Moving forward.

in this the one thing cryptic should avoid is hiring well known 'personality's'

now i know that cryptic has hired form the community recently before, looking at you 'Tron' but let be say this there is a lot of differences in pay-grade. im not saying that a volunteer is less compentant or passionate than someone who is payed for there work but im talking about that fact that you need completely unbiased people working for you.

not to say that this is bad, no, ill timed, should have started a month ago. but i have seem to have go on and rambled.

TLDR, be wareiry of hiring forum 'personality's'

ps no I would not touch this job wiht a 39 1/2 poll :p
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Althought moderating each other somes good on paper, I'm not sure it would work in real life.... Add that these are unpaid positions just makes me think of the old saying "you get what you pay for", if you pay nothing you'll get nothing .....

That is my nickles worth of free advice.....
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-13-2012, 07:38 PM
i think this is a good idea as im an unemployed part time open univercity student studying for a physics degree (so i can make my own starship one day, maybe ill call her the phoenix or does that make me totally obsessed with all things star trek lol im geting distracted back to the point ) im allways looking to get a leg up in geting a fulltime job, as a volunteer the unemployed persion would have a refrance they could call upon when applying for a payed job in the real world and they would be able to put it on there cv.

i would like to do it but it's probably to late now

but on a good note we get new featured content soon after f2p lanch (not long now t-minus 3 days)

and then who knows what, it is star trek . any thing is possible

llap all faithful star trek fans
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Dont work for Cryptic for free. I made that mistake and just got screwed over.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Such a terrible idea; and since you are going through with this then there needs to be EXTREME penalties for favoritism and/or other less then honorable issues from community moderators. Extreme deterrence such as account deletion or loss of gameplay time will make sure only the worthwhile even apply for the position and make sure they stay in line.

Idea is bad to begin with, and if these people are supposed to be 'the best of the community' then they need to be held to a much higher standard.

ALSO LOL AT a poll to justify who will take a position. Absolutely worst idea ever, I'm sorry cryptic but popularity =/= good mod.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
This will not end well.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
There was a point system all this time!?

Oh...now half of what I've seen since here 2009 is starting to make sense... =D

On the plus side, at least I can say I ended well under par....!
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
The new Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies are now in effect. Please make sure to read through them thoroughly, and that you understand and abide by them going forward.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Closed Thread