Lt. Commander
# 1 C-Store Point Cards
12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I've started to become more and more stringent with how I use my credit card on the internet. With a lot of companies getting hacked lately, and even my XBOX Live account getting hacked I've moved to using game cards for game time and store purchases.

I've never seen a Star Trek Online game card or C-Store point card in any of the stores, I was wondering with F2P coming, if any would be made available?

I know Perfect World has cards available for their other games, is there any chance that buying these cards could be used to purchase C-Store points in the future?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Have a great holiday!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.startrekonline.com/crypticpointscards

What are Virtual Cryptic Points Cards?

Virtual Cryptic Points Cards allow you to purchase Cryptic Points - the currency used across Cryptic's online game catalogue, including Champions Online: Free for All and Star Trek Online - for yourself or for your friends. When you purchase a Virtual Cryptic Points Card, you'll receive a special code you can redeem. Just redeem this code to collect your Points, or send it to a friend for him to redeem!
How do I share my Virtual Cryptic Points Cards?

After you purchase a Virtual Cryptic Points Card, you'll receive a special code in your user dashboard. Just send this code to a friend to redeem, and he will have those Tokens credited to his account. Simple as that!

500 = $6.25 USD
1000 = $12.50 USD
1500 = $18.75 USD
2000 = $25.00 USD
5000 = $62.50 USD
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Hmm, I may not have explained the issue well enough.

I'm not looking just for blocks of C-Store points. The virtual cards do nothing except let me transfer C-Store points to someone else.

I'm looking for a way to purchase C-Store points (Other than the Dilithium Exchange) without having to provide my credit card information over the internet. I don't have a whole lot of faith in the security of many companies anymore, as I've already have to cancel one card becuase of fradulet activity resulting from an account hack.

The virtual cards still require me to provide my credit card information, which will then be stored in Cryptic's databse, which has potential to be hacked, and thus stolen.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrunner View Post
Hmm, I may not have explained the issue well enough.

I'm not looking just for blocks of C-Store points. The virtual cards do nothing except let me transfer C-Store points to someone else.

I'm looking for a way to purchase C-Store points (Other than the Dilithium Exchange) without having to provide my credit card information over the internet. I don't have a whole lot of faith in the security of many companies anymore, as I've already have to cancel one card becuase of fradulet activity resulting from an account hack.

The virtual cards still require me to provide my credit card information, which will then be stored in Cryptic's databse, which has potential to be hacked, and thus stolen.
No you explained very well. I actually just skimmed your question. Sorry about that!

Quote:
That is not how I read it (although I have never purchased one) but from what I see you purchase it and then get a code and it can either be transferred as a gift or you can use it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic
Clicking the Virtual Cryptic Point Card option will open new page where you can select the amount of Cryptic Points you would like to purchase. You will be prompted for the payment method that you would like to use however these points will NOT be added to the account you are logged in with. The Virtual Cryptic Point Card option will generate a code that can be gifted. These Virtual Cryptic Point Card codes are listed on your user dashboard:
Do you have a problem with PayPal? I just checked and you can purchase through PayPal and I have been told that PayPal is safer than using a bank machine or an instant teller as far as security goes. Just an option.

Good luck staying off the grid if you can..
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Hmm I hadn't thought about paypal, but yes I do use it and could use it to purchase things here. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, better safe than sorry I think.

Though I did read somewhere that it is actually more likely that CC information is stolen from garbage b/c people do not shred the B/S solicitations they get in the mail than it is from purchasing goods online.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
Do you have a problem with PayPal? I just checked and you can purchase through PayPal and I have been told that PayPal is safer than using a bank machine or an instant teller as far as security goes. Just an option.
Just don't get caught up in any kind of dispute with them, because they are, in my experience, extremely resistant to resolving disputes in the customer's favor, even when documentation is supplied. I will grudgingly concede your security argument, however.

FWIW, my wife and I use a prepaid credit card for all our online activities and simply pre-fund it once or twice a month. It presents a hard limit to our liability (we can only lose what's on the card regardless of how helpful or unhelpful the financial institution is) and it insulates our accounts that actually *have* our names on them.

It requires a little bookkeeping and a bit of forethought ("Honey, did you buy MORE yarn from eBay? The card's got forty bucks less on it than I expected!"), but it also makes you think twice before making a purchase -- e.g. 'is there enough money on there for me to buy that?'
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
I've started to become more and more stringent with how I use my credit card on the internet. With a lot of companies getting hacked lately, and even my XBOX Live account getting hacked I've moved to using game cards for game time and store purchases....
Now this is a 'generic' issue with credit card purchases and the Internet in general. You should check with your financial institution and see if they offer 'pre-paid' credit-card accounts. These accounts have a card 'credit' equal to the inital balance, and for all intent and purposes, are 'disposable' credit card accounts. So when making credit card purchases on the Internet, the only risk you are taking is the current balance of the account, and nothing more...
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Now this is a 'generic' issue with credit card purchases and the Internet in general. You should check with your financial institution and see if they offer 'pre-paid' credit-card accounts. These accounts have a card 'credit' equal to the inital balance, and for all intent and purposes, are 'disposable' credit card accounts. So when making credit card purchases on the Internet, the only risk you are taking is the current balance of the account, and nothing more...
My wife and I do this for my mother; we periodically fund a prepaid VISA that my mother uses for prescriptions, etc. Most larger banks offer this service, and AMEX used to do it as well. However, I don't believe AMEX offers the service any longer. It's marketed toward parents of teens, parents of college students and also travelers. However, it also works great for seniors who are afraid to carry around credit or debit cards and who are leery of modern payment technology. My mom feels a lot safer knowing that she can only lose $400-$500 at a time (that's how much I normally put into the card when I fund it) if something untoward happens.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Hmm I hadn't thought about paypal, but yes I do use it and could use it to purchase things here. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, better safe than sorry I think.
I don't think you are being paranoid at all. I think we all rely on things that we may not understand and we just expect are regulated. I just figure that my life could not get any worse if I lost all my money lol
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I agree, Cryptic should make Point cards so i dont have to use my dad's credit card. If we want this to happen, we need allot of people with similar problems like yours and mines to reply to this thread. Then Cryptic will have to do this because of so many complaints.