Lt. Commander
# 31
01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Don't need new meshes, sure. But that isn't how they're doing it. They're doing it like they've done all the others. New maps, new cutscenes, bells and whistles, the whole nine yards. You want to guess a realistic timeframe? You have to account for all that. Because that is what's realistic.
Thats why its important we tell them that those things arent necessary all the time. Whether they choose to listen or not is on them. Either way they will reap what they sow.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I'd be happy with a month on and two off - if it comes with the sort of content that accompanied the Devidian and Breen series (repeatable dailies, or new PVP, STF's that come with it)

Ultimatley new storylines are good, but so long as I'm geting new things to do I'm happy (and this will bring Free players back to spend C-Store money too!)

I don't need fancy new things with every episode, I'd be happy seeing episodes one to four being fairly plain telling a good story, and then seeing the finale having a 'mine enemy' or 'Colliseum' style time budget so that we get the wow factor at the end of a series.

MMO's don't always need cinematic story, they need lots of things to do - if you can get both, great, if you can't? Make sure players don't get bored
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I voted 5-6 months due to the EP saying that there would be 2 this year for certain, a third being iffy.
I find that realistic due that the fact that that is the reality of the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
I voted 5-6 months due to the EP saying that there would be 2 this year for certain, a third being iffy.
I find that realistic due that the fact that that is the reality of the situation.
You mean the temp EP who probably wont be here a year from now? Considering how different the things are that he is saying compared with Stahl, its not unlikely that there will be that same amount of difference between what the next says compared to D'Angelo.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-11-2012, 02:31 PM
May as well. For the record, I voted 3-4 months, because even considering everything I mentioned, it would seem to me that a team that's putting forth major effort should be able to manage around a four month down-time between FEs.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You mean the temp EP who probably wont be here a year from now? Considering how different the things are that he is saying compared with Stahl, its not unlikely that there will be that same amount of difference between what the next says compared to D'Angelo.
Yes, I mean the E.E.P.H. and i certainly agree with you that what he says is so differant than what Dan said, that when he does hand of the seat to whoever will be the "permanent", that the new EP will probably say something different. That is just something we will have to see.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
No they don't. They don't have to craft meshes for new locations or new items, code cutscenes, balance new items or powers, run anything past CBS...

What they do know how to do is utilize the hell out of a dumbed-down set of dev tools. Which isn't to devalue the missions, I'm sure there are masterpieces out there. I'm just saying, they have no idea what goes into a Featured Series episode.
  • I created foundry content (including a mission wich has been vote slightly below 4 by the players... and it is not even that good).
  • I made models (meshes) including textures for Bridge Commander, and scripts for expanding the game functionality.
  • Tested new elements for same (Including DS9FX and NanoFX)
  • Code webpages in PHP, and applications in Visual Basic.NET .

And with that expirience in my backpack (wich I am sure you are gonna dismiss as unrelated), I can tell you: 10 Episodes a year is WAY too little...

People create STUNNING enviroments using ONLY foundry assets (hence pre-existing meshes), and have people return to re-play their missions without the means to create special rewards to lure people back in

What counts, and seems to escape most, is the ability to make a catchy story with a surprise ending that keep the people engaged again and again...

All thoose things you are talking about... They are unnessacary. And IF (I stress IF) Cryptic really belive that they HAVE to create new enviroments, models, textures and loot every time they release a new episode, they will eventually fall to the ground... Hard...
Simply becasue they fail to understand a commercial rule: Never spend more than nessacary.

If they want to create new assets for a mission, that's fine... But it has to be a really epic grand mission that keeps people coming back for months... Otherwise it is not time well spend... it's time wasted.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I voted 1-2 months, but that's because I feel like the answer is somewhere between the first two options.

If we got quarterly featured episodes (which is to say, one series every three months, and certainly no longer) I would be happy, as there would always be something to look forward to on the horizon.

I honestly feel the question shouldnt be "how long", but "how many."

Sure, 6 series a year might have been overshooting the mark. But four, I'd hope, would be realistic.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Are we talking gaps between the last episode of one and the first episode of the next? or the time from the first ep to first ep? ie the time for one FE 'cycle' to complete.

Cause I voted based on the former.

Once Cryptic gets into the swing we should be able to do 5 and possibly 6 FE series a year. Assuming mutliply FEs are at different stages of development from initial concept to storyboarding to scripting to VOs to tech/shinies to Environment, equipment and character artists to finally publishing.

Of course that assumes smooth development process with relative easy approval with from CBS or other roadblocks that appear. There have been alot of road blocks with this Dominion FE series esp regarding the Ent-F, Season 4, changing owners, Free 2 play etc.

So I think they need to get back into rythym and once they can stream line the process again with then we should see a better flow of content.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willomally View Post
As I have stated on other threads one a quarter is the maximum realistic expectation given the size and resources of Cyptic.
I'm sorry, but that's just a load of crap. Some of the best Foundry missions are done by a single person in they're basement and they only do it on their free time when they're not at work. And some of these guys can crank out one to two in a month. Are you trying to have everyone believe that an entire division at a company who's sole purpose for existence is making games, and has access to much more advanced authoring tools, is unable to make more than one Featured Episode per quarter? You make it sound like the whole STO dev team is just D'Angelo and two other people.