Lt. Commander
Remove star clusters. What??? Seriously, listen. The current star cluster missions are really just random "patrols". Your not discovering anything new, your just patrolling already known sectors and fighting bad guys or scanning anomalies. So until a "real" exploration revamp is done, how about removing the clusters and letting every planetary system be a doorway into a random mission like the star clusters.

They would work the same way as the clusters, with the sector block determining the types of NPCs you would encounter. At least that would be more visually appealing than flying around in circles inside an empty box.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
This would require time to implement and give us nothing new. It would also remove all of the anomalies to scan in the Clusters. Then of course there are the accolades associated with each Cluster that would be lost.

I'm seeing a lot of loss and no gain in this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
This would require time to implement and give us nothing new. It would also remove all of the anomalies to scan in the Clusters. Then of course there are the accolades associated with each Cluster that would be lost.

I'm seeing a lot of loss and no gain in this idea.
Anomalies could possibly randomly spawn in sector space, which could make travel more interesting. The accolades could be adjusted to apply to the sector block location. But your right, all of that would take some time. Which is why I never claimed this was a priority
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
If you spawned anomalies in sector space, they would have to be at a very high density to support the larger number of people in each sector block. I fear that an appropriate density would make the sector block look very cluttered, and so therefore you'd probably also need to greatly increase the size of each sector block to spread things out a bit. Which then throws off things like travel time, and possibly even technical limitations.

Unfortunately I thinkI have to agree with Happy's comment that it would require quite a bit of work to implement correctly, and ultimately not really provide anything new. A better use of resources would be a ground-up rethink of the whole exploration mechanic, carried out simultaneously with a total revamp of sector space/the galaxy map.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I actually kind of like this idea. But I think if they're going to spend some time on it, why not just spend the time on actually doing the revamp they've been promising since...what?....last June?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
"A better use of resources would be a ground-up rethink of the whole exploration mechanic, carried out simultaneously with a total revamp of sector space/the galaxy map./"

This is really what I want to happen. I would add navigational computer course plotting and make the game world alot larger as it should have been. You should not be manually "steering" your ship around and having it stop because of dialog popup. Its not inline with the IP and its clumsy and not fun and just seems like a really bad game mechanic and design. The ship should be stationary with a warping starfield with parts of the UI segmented for Long reange and short range sensors, communications etc. Your camera can still pan around your awesome ship.
Long range sensors scanning should be picking up unknow hidden systems ,ships, resource rich asteroids belts, enemies, friendlies,anomolies, black holes,etc. when your long range sensors pick up something of interest you have time to read the info and decide if you want to go there. and if you do you plot a course there even if its a simple click. This may not sound like a big deal to some but I think it would make the game (especially) traveling more fun and more trekish while still being able to remain combat heavy for hard core mmo gamers. If I want to go kill enemy ships I can still do that. If I want to explore unknown areas I can do that. If I want to kill everyone I meet cause there azzhats then I can do that. If I want to establish relations with a new race I can do that. If I make them mad they can shoot at me. etc etc etc. If you drop out of warp in between systems you are in open space map. Maybe each map should have metadata with its location within the game and coordinates can be generated so you can have someone meet you there instanced or not. I am rambling now but these kinds of things get me excited about the game again.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Returning after about a year and a half, it boggles my mind that foundry missions havenīt been made part of the mission rotation in the star clusters.

By Spocks smelly beard, hire a couple of players as a "foundry council" (or jut give them free lifetime subs) and make them decide on which missions are good enough to be added.

Jeez.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Returning after about a year and a half, it boggles my mind that foundry missions havenīt been made part of the mission rotation in the star clusters.

Jeez.
The developers should work with foundry authors to make this happen. We need actual exploration, which means mystery. Cryptic cannot deliver but I bet the foundry can. Cryptic can even pay the authors a bonus (either in game or real money) for the best missions and maybe pay authors to come up with a dialog and storyboard.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
The system may be weak but tearing it down just to rebuild the same exact system in a different place is nonsense.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
The system may be weak but tearing it down just to rebuild the same exact system in a different place is nonsense.
In reality, I'm not talking about rebuilding anything, simply relocating it. Basically when you fly up to a planetary system you get the same option as you would when you fly up to a system in a star cluster. If you click it you get a random mission. Thats not really rebuilding anything, just making it look better.