Lt. Commander
# 1 How do you spend skill points
01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I am new here but whenever I try to spend skill points it does not work. I do not know if I am merely clicking on the wrong controls. Can anyone tell me how many skill points do lieutenants need to have to spend on skill points and how to spend them.

Thank you for your time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmasterjack88 View Post
I am new here but whenever I try to spend skill points it does not work. I do not know if I am merely clicking on the wrong controls. Can anyone tell me how many skill points do lieutenants need to have to spend on skill points and how to spend them.

Thank you for your time.
The STOWiki is the closest thing to a 'manual' for this game...

http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Skills
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
To spent skills points for your self or your Bridge Officers you use the Skills Windows. Hit 'K' to bring up your skills window. The skills that you have unlocked and have not maxed out to Rank 9, will have two arrows on either side of a bar graph at the bottom of a skills box. You click on the left arrow to decrease a rank. You click on the right arrow to increase the rank. At time you increase the rank of a skill, you are spending skill points.

When you click on a skill box, it will a Skill Detail windo to the right of the Skills window. At the bottom of the skills window, it gives the number of skill points each rank in a skill requires. For Lt Skills it's 1000 XP. he amount XP you have to spend is at the botton of the Skills window (Available: ####).

You can increase and/or decrease the ranks in your unlocked skills to your liking. However, you cannot decrease the ranks in a skill that you have previous purchased. After you have started adjusting your skills ranks, the Accept button will light up. Clicking on Accept will lock in your skills ranks settings and actually spend your Skills Points. The Reset button will clear all of your changes back to their previous values.

The only other proviso is that you much spend some skills points on Ground Skills. Those of the Tan colored skills on the bottom of the window. You may need to scroll down to see the Ground Skills. The split is nominal 80/20, but you have a big fudge factor how you spend your skills. If you run into a wall trying to increase space skills, you may need to spend some on ground skills to satisfy the XP split requirement.

Spending Skill Points on your Bridge Officers works exactly the same way. Except your expend Bridge Officers skill poins which is a separate pool.