Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You just need mission versions of the maps that are wired to use the right textures and ship trophies.
Solvable by just having ground based bridge maps that match each bridge type, but with the ready room blocked. Not like you will be running in there to check your trophies in the middle of being shot at. And I don't really think too many people will be complaining if their trophies in the recreation lounge don't show up if a squad of Hirogen decide to make their last stand there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The shows were more situated on the ships than on strange new worlds and the whole point is to advance story faster by using good, versatile sets.
Of course they were. And the shows were more dialog based than action based. In fact, I would say the shows were 90% dialog. But I guarantee you that if you make an MMO with 90% dialog missions that it wont attract a huge playerbase. And those missions definitely wont have any replay value.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Of course they were. And the shows were more dialog based than action based. In fact, I would say the shows were 90% dialog. But I guarantee you that if you make an MMO with 90% dialog missions that it wont attract a huge playerbase. And those missions definitely wont have any replay value.
Text adventure games had a huge playerbase, about twenty years ago. Could work if they had really good writers. Although that still might fail since it is possible that the average gamer has a short attention span.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
The thing is, Cryptic's output problem exists at all levels. It's not that they're spending too much time making art assets, or maps, or any one thing. They just simply can't produce on all level the amount required to get any kind of steady output going. Making some reusable interior maps won't solve that.

Also, having missions take place entirely on your ship interior doesn't make a big difference than if they made the same mission occur on one of their randomly generated ground maps. You'd still have to back it up with a strong story/writing and gameplay, both things that Cryptic also seem to lack.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't think a mission would have to take place entirely on your ship, necessarily. I mean, it would depend on the mission itself. But a lot of the best Trek episodes were a mix of going to a planet, then back to the ship, then back to the planet, etc. Why not have a tutorial mission where you actually tour your ship, meet the department heads actually IN their departments, and meet some of the more interesting members of your crew?

If I was a new player, I honestly wouldn't even know that there was a way to go to the interior of my ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Of course they were. And the shows were more dialog based than action based. In fact, I would say the shows were 90% dialog. But I guarantee you that if you make an MMO with 90% dialog missions that it wont attract a huge playerbase. And those missions definitely wont have any replay value.
Isn't that what the DOff system is?

I recall TOS having fistfights and shootouts on the ship almost every episode... Muchof TNG and Voyager did as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synther View Post
I don't think a mission would have to take place entirely on your ship, necessarily. I mean, it would depend on the mission itself. But a lot of the best Trek episodes were a mix of going to a planet, then back to the ship, then back to the planet, etc. Why not have a tutorial mission where you actually tour your ship, meet the department heads actually IN their departments, and meet some of the more interesting members of your crew?

If I was a new player, I honestly wouldn't even know that there was a way to go to the interior of my ship.
This as well. But it could pad content out and it's not like you can't routinely have shoot outs and brawls on your ship. Y'know, mutinies, boarding parties, Psi-1000 virus outbreaks, breaking up fights between dissenting groups, having text puzzles on your ship that lead to space battles, etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Until the interiors are made to actually resemble the show, I would rather not have Cryptic spend any more time on them. They're simply too distracting. They're fine for generic science-fiction, but they're not Star Trek... and if Cryptic puts even MORE time into the ones we currently have, then it'll be less likely that they'll ever get fixed.

I still, somehow, have hope. Hope that the interiors will be better crafted. Hope that the scale will be fixed. Hope that the layouts will feel like Federation vessels. Not much... but there's still a little.

Please Cryptic... make the interiors match the show. It's not that hard.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-12-2012, 01:18 AM
They don't have to fix all the bridge sets. You got good and accurate bridges like the Prometheus bridge sets and you got the horrendous ones like the Sovereign bridges.

The one thing I hate is the captain chair platforms being on a mountain than elevated. Sort of feels like I'm a lifeguard that's poolside, looking down.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Until the interiors are made to actually resemble the show, I would rather not have Cryptic spend any more time on them. They're simply too distracting. They're fine for generic science-fiction, but they're not Star Trek... and if Cryptic puts even MORE time into the ones we currently have, then it'll be less likely that they'll ever get fixed.

I still, somehow, have hope. Hope that the interiors will be better crafted. Hope that the scale will be fixed. Hope that the layouts will feel like Federation vessels. Not much... but there's still a little.

Please Cryptic... make the interiors match the show. It's not that hard.
We just got a new environmental artist. By folding the new interiors into the budget for the next FE after the current one, they could re-do interiors at the same time.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 AM.