Lt. Commander
# 11
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
While I can easily see your point, I wouldn't be a fan of removing anything in a content light game. Even if the content is as repeatitive as explors missions. There are accos also that some may be working on.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
While I can easily see your point, I wouldn't be a fan of removing anything in a content light game. Even if the content is as repeatitive as explors missions. There are accos also that some may be working on.
Dont worry, not talking about removing anything:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...39#post3944139
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
This is one thing I've considered for ship interiors.

No nebulas. You're in Sector Space. You hit an "Explore" button.

Boom, you're on your ship interior, complete with warp streaks outside the windows.

You have access to a set of DO assignments related to what used to be the nearest cluster.

You have minigames that unlock exploration missions.

When you stop exploring you return to Sector Space where you were or maybe get a choice of destinations at the end of the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
This would require time to implement and give us nothing new. It would also remove all of the anomalies to scan in the Clusters. Then of course there are the accolades associated with each Cluster that would be lost.

I'm seeing a lot of loss and no gain in this idea.
I agree.

Sorry but I can't support ya this time Nagus.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I'd rather see foundry authors that have consistent high reviews receive a new type of foundry slot..call it "explorations"

When an author creates an exploration slot mission it is linked to a player scanning a star cluster anomaly.

Instead of the standard kill 5 blah blah, there is a chance a player could trigger the foundry mission and get extra exp and dilithuim by completing it.

Authors would be charged with creating new species and civilizations for other players to discover, making exploration much more engaging because you never know what kind of mission might pop up.

Sure there would be a rating and reporting system to have in place to make sure those missions are the best they can be, but they would be a lot more interesting than what we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-11-2012, 11:52 PM
You'd also be removing access to the bet DOFF missions in the game... Exploration chains are probably one of the most sought after out of all of them.

Not seeing any particular benefit. Now if it were adding random, and simple, event missions to planetary systems then 'd be extremely supportive.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
Authors would be charged with creating new species and civilizations for other players to discover, making exploration much more engaging because you never know what kind of mission might pop up.
Precisely this!
Thanks for fleshing that out.

Also nothing wrong with keeping it in the theme of the current exploration zone either.
I have no idea if the foundry even offers all those "themed" alien mobs, but they should to allow bolstering the exploration zones this "quick´n dirty" (coding wise) way.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2012, 01:41 AM
I can see this working, the UGC element.

Picture this:

"New Worlds"

What you have here is a special KIND of Foundry mission. No faction specific assets are included. Enemy groups follow several new generic enemy faction types. Costumes are a special type that include, say, off-duty uniforms along with Orion, Nausicaan, and Gorn pieces. The big rule is, all new aliens. Heck, put all established alien races in the language filter.

Hence there's nothing wrong with these being "canon" because these HAVE TO hinge entirely on new worlds, new situations that don't build on anything established. Hence there's no need to separate them.

There are several mission types baked in.

For example, you have one with a "Kill 5 - Ground." The "Kill 5" cannot be removed from the timeline. The 5 enemies can be recostumed and can be placed on any ground map. You can add objectives or maps before or after. That includes any text you want or additional enemies. The mission, in turn, awards XP/dilithium as if it were a standard "Kill 5." In other words, the devs force the mission to include a feature and can therefore reward that feature. There can be any amount of added depth but only the template-required elements provide a reward.

Missions can be reported for typos or inability to complete. Enough reports will unpublish and tell the author to fix it. In turn, maybe the author gets a reward for every star rating:

1 Star = 10 Dilithium
2 Star = 20 Dilithium
3 Star = 40 Dilithium
4 Star = 80 Dilithium
5 Star = 160 Dilithium

Because players cannot choose which mission they receive, the system cannot be gamed by authors or their friends. Players exploring receive a random mission, you cannot seek out a specific one to "gift" the author a reward.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Also... These missions are faction agnostic and authors receive the following dialogue tags:

(Fed)(/Fed)
(Kli)(/Kli)

Text enclosed in these brackets will only be visible to these factions.

Additionally, you would have faction triggering of events and dialogue, which could allow for one faction to get dialogue options or events that the other faction would not.