Lt. Commander
# 1 PWE/Cryptic Account Linking
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Will we be required to create a PWE account and link it to our Cryptic account in the future? As mentioned here.

I have to be honest. I don't consider myself a fan of PWE. They haven't earned my trust and I do not want to give them my personal information. I understand they now own you, Cryptic, so they probably already have access to all of my data, but I'd at least like to keep a semblance of illusion in this regard. I do not like the fact that you are now owned by a China based company. That is a country that does not respect civil liberties.

So if anyone at Cryptic could shed some light on this subject, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
No you wont have to create a Perfect World Account they just made it so people who already have Perfect World Accounts (new f2p players) can use those credentials to log in. Thats all. No need to worry. Also it was Perfect World USA that bought Cryptic it employs Americans.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah its just for people who have a PW account they can sign in like any of their other games without signing up to cryptics account system. Crytpic players are not effected.

Saying that. If they ever did merge account systems fully then i wont be using it as i have no intention of using anything from PW and only playing sto now because its not heavily involved with players playing the game or touching on the account system yet for cryptic players.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy74656 View Post
No you wont have to create a Perfect World Account they just made it so people who already have Perfect World Accounts (new f2p players) can use those credentials to log in. Thats all. No need to worry. Also it was Perfect World USA that bought Cryptic it employs Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
Yeah its just for people who have a PW account they can sign in like any of their other games without signing up to cryptics account system. Crytpic players are not effected.
I have read these statements in the forums from users, but what makes me skeptical is the second heading in the attached link.

Quote:
By linking your Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic accounts, you will enjoy a more streamlined process in accessing your information and logging into your favorite games. Doing so will also allow the friends you play with to find you more easily in other titles.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
PW makes games that are popular in the East, but they are in California. As opposed to Atari, PW can visit Cryptic without a passport.

As for linking your account, I would imagine Cryptic and PW shared each other's database and made it so you couldn't create a username on one that exists on the other.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Personally I think it is more to allow people currently registered with Perfect World to have an easier access to here. The linking option is just so us folks can have one less username/password combo to remember. Personally I have linked my accounts together and so far have found no ill effects. If my stipend day has changed because of it I dont know yet

Who knows later they may have promotions aimed at one login group or the other.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Maybe that's designed for people with accounts from both companies. I would imagine they might do it automatically for people with Cryptic accounts, like they did for Atari; I only ever used Cryptic's website for registration and such, but the account name/password was also converted to Atari (probably because STO support was on Atari's site) and now I have accounts with both companies.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Also it was Perfect World USA that bought Cryptic it employs Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
PW makes games that are popular in the East, but they are in California. As opposed to Atari, PW can visit Cryptic without a passport.
While I know this is true, there is still a larger truth. Perfect World, Inc. owns Perfect World Entertainment who now owns Cryptic Studios.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
I hope that is true, because they said the same thing when NCSoft took full control over City of Heroes and then later changed it so that you had to have a NCSoft account and launcher. That is unfortunately when I quit playing City of Heroes. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

I will never create a "game producer" account. If you try to force me to do so I will simply stop playing. That is all there is to it.

Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
While I know this is true, there is still a larger truth. Perfect World, Inc. owns Perfect World Entertainment who now owns Cryptic Studios.
You need to do a little more research. Just because some of the profit goes to the China-based company doesn't mean they have access to all of the info. In fact, US law may out and out prevent it (which is why you set up a subsidiary to begin with). Many companies work that way.