Lt. Commander
# 61
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Yea... I agree.
How many missions would you want per episode?
Lt. Commander
# 62 Bottle shows
01-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree with the sentiments here that FEs need not always have a bunch of amazing new maps and models.

Cryptic needs to take a cue from the way the Star Trek TV series worked around their limitations to stick to the expected production schedule. Trek couldn't produce big, beautiful new sets every week because they didn't have the budget for it, a.k.a. they had insufficient manpower to do it quickly. (Unionized labor is expensive!) It was much the same predicament as Cryptic has for producing lots of FEs.

So what did the TV producers do to maximize throughput while maintaining quality? They varied their episode budgets. Some special episodes would get a big budget, for big fancy sets and extra VFX, while the ones in between would be dialed back to save up money (and time) for the next big extravaganza. These cheaper episodes would take place mostly aboard-ship, where all the sets already existed, and they were called "bottle shows." They might commission a new alien mask from the makeup department or do a redress disguise on one of their standing sets to make it look like a Fed base or alien ship, but for the most part they would put all their effort into story and routine production rather than development of new assets.

The same principles could work for Cryptic's FE production. Their major time investment for new maps & models could be saved up for 2-3 big-budget extravaganzas, while the intervening episodes could be pared back to use less modeling/mapping effort and focus instead on clever and dramatic story content.

The Foundry consists entirely of such bottle shows, written by amateurs and semi-pros, and look how good some of those are!
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgery View Post
I agree with the sentiments here that FEs need not always have a bunch of amazing new maps and models.

Cryptic needs to take a cue from the way the Star Trek TV series worked around their limitations to stick to the expected production schedule. Trek couldn't produce big, beautiful new sets every week because they didn't have the budget for it, a.k.a. they had insufficient manpower to do it quickly. (Unionized labor is expensive!) It was much the same predicament as Cryptic has for producing lots of FEs.

So what did the TV producers do to maximize throughput while maintaining quality? They varied their episode budgets. Some special episodes would get a big budget, for big fancy sets and extra VFX, while the ones in between would be dialed back to save up money (and time) for the next big extravaganza. These cheaper episodes would take place mostly aboard-ship, where all the sets already existed, and they were called "bottle shows." They might commission a new alien mask from the makeup department or do a redress disguise on one of their standing sets to make it look like a Fed base or alien ship, but for the most part they would put all their effort into story and routine production rather than development of new assets.

The same principles could work for Cryptic's FE production. Their major time investment for new maps & models could be saved up for 2-3 big-budget extravaganzas, while the intervening episodes could be pared back to use less modeling/mapping effort and focus instead on clever and dramatic story content.

The Foundry consists entirely of such bottle shows, written by amateurs and semi-pros, and look how good some of those are!
Agreed.

And since a fair amount of players don't do the Foundry missions (It's rare for me, for example), PWE could contact the authors of particularly well done missions, and ask for permission to use them as storyline missions, such as FEs.

Yes, I know that some kind of compensation would be in order. For regular subscribers, they could be given 30 days of game time credited (About $15). For LTS folks, they could be given $15 worth of C-Points, and for a silver member, who had otherwise unlocked Foundry access, they could be given a smaller stipend (Or the same. Developer's choice).

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
What i would like to see is a cut down of the series length from 5 episodes to 3 and then that series can be set for a month then that would make it less work to get a 5 ep series out quickly but 3 ep series might be more doable I would hope.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats why its important we tell them that those things arent necessary all the time. Whether they choose to listen or not is on them. Either way they will reap what they sow.
To each his own - as personally - I think those things ARE necessary for a Dev created FE series myself I WANT to be blown away by new additions, etc.

BUT, what they ALSO need to do is leverage the Foundry too - not by using it to make missiuons themselves on the quick, but (as has been stated by many, myself included) - TAKE the 'Foundry Gems' and develop the tech needed so that can be quickly ported from the Foundry and ADDED TO THE GAME as direct content FOR STO in addition to the FE's, Events and any other Player content.
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
To each his own - as personally - I think those things ARE necessary for a Dev created FE series myself I WANT to be blown away by new additions, etc.

BUT, what they ALSO need to do is leverage the Foundry too - not by using it to make missiuons themselves on the quick, but (as has been stated by many, myself included) - TAKE the 'Foundry Gems' and develop the tech needed so that can be quickly ported from the Foundry and ADDED TO THE GAME as direct content FOR STO in addition to the FE's, Events and any other Player content.
Well, that means that Cryptic will have to hire more people in charge of running foundry contests and porting over the best missions. I don't think they have enough man power to do that right now.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Personally I would rather be blown away 6 times a year by an excellent story arc and interesting gameplay scenarios than twice a year (or at this rate, once every 2 years) by a few pretty maps.
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
How many missions would you want per episode?
i understand Episode/Mission to mean the same thing, with "FE series" referring the the 5-mission chains we have seen in each of the three previous FE series:

Devidians
Breen
Romulan
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
i understand Episode/Mission to mean the same thing, with "FE series" referring the the 5-mission chains we have seen in each of the three previous FE series:

Devidians
Breen
Romulan
Personally, I don't understand why this is so important. Why do they need to be five story arcs? Why can't we just have a steady release of missions that contribute to the unfolding of each of the stories, or are even just standalone?
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Personally, I don't understand why this is so important. Why do they need to be five story arcs? Why can't we just have a steady release of missions that contribute to the unfolding of each of the stories, or are even just standalone?
Hi Fire. Thanks for your shout out earlier

I was attempting to answer a question that I understood to be asking for clarification on the difference between the terms 'mission' and 'episode'. I think the person was confused about the difference between the term FE (series) so far the ones we have seen happen to have been 5 episodes long and the term episode, of which each series thus far has happend to include 5.

So speaking 'casually' I use the terms 'episode' and 'mission' interchagably, and I try to specify 'series' when referring to the chains we have seen in the past.

As I said before, (btw I voted 1-2 months) I think the more important thing is to get the total number of episodes/missions up to around 22 - 26 per year (more like a TV season) whether that be quarterly 5-mission FE series, shorter FE series, fewer FE series with some foundry spotlight redux or non-fed faction (KDF faction chains, eventually Romulan or Neutral faction chains, etc.) thrown in or whatever.