Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
Anytime that you have a website showing up with corrupted or misplaced images and text, emptying your cookies and cache, then restarting the browser usually helps.

CTRL+F5 works on most browsers but not all, and sometimes won't work fully on some Flash/HTML5/PHP/CSS heavy web pages.

When new pages are released, sometimes your antivirus will decide to block part or all of a page too. Be sure to add the domains to your antivirus exception list for the web sites that you use that you know are ok.

Also, if you are using an ad blocking program or plugin, you may have to disable those and refresh the pages that are giving you problems.
This answer, while sounding very intelligent, amounts to little more than nonsense meant to cover up incompetence. And if I get an infraction for saying this, then so be it. But I can't stand idly by and pretend like this answer is anything other than what I just said it is.

You released a new website today that resulted in many dozens of people on the forums stating the website was broken, myself included. I have been programming for more than 25 years, so I definitely know what I'm talking about on this subject and every language you haphazardly mentioned above to make it sound like you have a sophisticated website.

And while that number may not sound like many people, those are just the people I came across in the forums. No doubt, hundreds of people experienced this issue today. And what is sad about this is that it was completely preventable through some of the most basic programming concepts. There's no excuse for this.

And really, I don't care that much that you broke your own website. But I definitely take issue with you pretending like this was anything but your fault. If this is the kind of support/programming we can expect from PWE, then I was sorely mistaken when I thought that Cryptic set the bar pretty low.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
sorry rswfire, but he's not incompetent, he's right. For the record, I use chrome, and STO's site works fine for me. If you're having problems at this point, they're on your end, not Cryptic's.

You may have been programming for 25 years, but I make a living troubleshooting computers. One of the most common problems with browsers is exactly what he mentioned. You may want to consider trying his advice before you start insulting him again.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Thank you for your feedback on my post.

I know the Cryptic and PW web teams go through a ton of checks for things, but it is impossible to test on millions of possible configurations.

Player demographics for Free to Play games versus subscription based varies somewhat, so we try to explain things so that most audiences will be able to get the general idea, or at least guide them into the right direction to help fix their problem.

Most web dev for many websites test strictly for IE 8 and 9 (little bit of 7) and Firefox. Opera, Chrome, and Safari are often not the priority.

If Chrome isn't working for you, please try another browser if our suggestions aren't working.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2012, 08:28 PM
The problem is you put new resources at the old location and so the browsers still had the old resources cached. There is a way to prevent this problem 100% of the time so there are no issues. If you change an image, css, js or any other resource file give it a new url that you have not used before.

What I suggest is putting a version number in a url and setting it to cache forever. That way your website always works for people, you never run into outdated cache versions and the pages run insanely faster.

I have taken some websites from 10 seconds load times to .5 seconds just doing this kind of stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
So I checked the new STO website on Internet Explorer (the derp common denominator) and it looks fine... But in Chrome, we get this.

...Anyone else noticed problems?
Getting the same result on IE9
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
What exactly did you try in the information presented to you?

What changes to your software did you make?

What browsers and version numbers did you try it on?

What errors did you get?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
What exactly did you try in the information presented to you?

What changes to your software did you make?

What browsers and version numbers did you try it on?

What errors did you get?
It is not a browser version issue since refreshing the page fixes it. The issue is new resources served at the old urls that have already been cached by browsers. Some browsers just cache a little more aggressively then others and how aggressively they cache is also based on how fast your connection is. If a resource takes too long to grab the browser can decide to use a local copy.

I have not seen any browser recently violate caching instructions though. The odds are your older resources where set as cache-able resources and did not require immediate re-validation so when you put in your new resources at the old urls the older data was used.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully some of the devs are aware of that and make the appropriate changes.

I am not the web developer for the website, all I can do is offer you suggestions on how to fix it so that you can use it and view it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATSIE
Getting the same result on IE9
I got this on firefox. Hitting the refresh button seems to have fixed it, but its still a bit of a turn-off.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Many things are being transferred and moved around during the transition, so whatever is in your browser cache may have to be refreshed every few days or more if your browser doesn't do it or you don't restart your PC or browser.