Lt. Commander
# 71
01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Voted Every 3 months or Quarterly. That to me is realistic.
MorBlade
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
Giving they don't have to put in new content every FE Series, they should be good pumping out every 1-2 months. Not every FE needs new maps, new assets, etc; just more story (dialog) and perhaps cut scenes.

I think if they did 2-3 high quality (new assets) FE Series a year and filled the rest of the year with more story based, low quality (few to no new assets) FE Series (or individual episodes) that they would satisfy most of the player base.
People were screaming this in the Romulan FE, pointing out that it was going to start taking too long to produce FE's if they kept trying to one-up themselves every time.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Richardson View Post
People were screaming this in the Romulan FE, pointing out that it was going to start taking too long to produce FE's if they kept trying to one-up themselves every time.
Yea... I think the quality of the Romulan FE was great... It was in fact more than I had expected from a "regular" mission series.
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Richardson View Post
Indeed.

It's often being cited in this debate that the length of time between the Dividian and Breen series was extraordinarily low compared to what we're now seeing with these FEs.

Consider how many key assets were reused in both series. How many times did we visit the same Defera map or Drozana station? This is something that didn't happen in the Romulan series. Almost every mission used entirely new art assets, and I suspect we're seeing the follow on from that precedent here.

If Cryptic intend to create new assets for every single series they produce, then of course they will only get 2 series out a year. It's funny how Star Trek, as a series, never saw many locations outside of a few matte paintings and the hallways of the titular ship or station, and this is why - You work with what you have, not what you wish you had. And the latter costs a hell of a lot more money.

Cryptic need to reexamine their priorities. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the same key art assets more than once, and to simply cast them aside once the episode has run its course (Coliseum, The Vault anyone?) is an absolute waste of resources.

We're seeing it happen more too. Why is it that the wonderful Defera Ground Invasion is only accessible maybe once a month for those who hold regular jobs? I'm not getting up at 3am just to play Star Trek Online. Utter waste.
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I'd settle for anything a lot less than the current timetable...
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I actually think you Can compare it to TOS: Dispite the fact that visuals are extremely limited and poor, people still watch them...

Why?

Because they have really good stories.
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I actually think you Can compare it to TOS: Dispite the fact that visuals are extremely limited and poor, people still watch them...

Why?

Because they have really good stories.
This is my point. Art assets are not *necessary* to make a good, enjoyable, story-driven episode. There is absolutely nothing wrong with setting every story aboard the same ship or environment... Lord knows, it worked just fine for the TV series.

Why aren't Cryptic capable of the same?
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
This is my point. Art assets are not *necessary* to make a good, enjoyable, story-driven episode. There is absolutely nothing wrong with setting every story aboard the same ship or environment... Lord knows, it worked just fine for the TV series.

Why aren't Cryptic capable of the same?
They are... They are just so focused on pleasing and improoving, that they've forgotten this.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Cryptic has to deliver fast new content otherwise the F2P release will be a disaster.
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
I was attempting to answer a question that I understood to be asking for clarification on the difference between the terms 'mission' and 'episode'. I think the person was confused about the difference between the term FE (series) so far the ones we have seen happen to have been 5 episodes long and the term episode, of which each series thus far has happend to include 5.
Yeah, I get a little lost with this myself. I don't really know what FE means. I've just taken it to mean "a series of related missions." Would that be accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
IAs I said before, (btw I voted 1-2 months) I think the more important thing is to get the total number of episodes/missions up to around 22 - 26 per year (more like a TV season) whether that be quarterly 5-mission FE series, shorter FE series, fewer FE series with some foundry spotlight redux or non-fed faction (KDF faction chains, eventually Romulan or Neutral faction chains, etc.) thrown in or whatever.
I remember reading that at some point and liking the idea. I think you even made some suggestions for new tags in the foundry to make a neutral faction chain have different dialogues for the different factions, which was also a cool idea. And of course a "generic enemies" set. Lots of good ideas.