Lt. Commander
# 101
01-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.

My wife wants to retain the name of her ship through various models as she progresses through the game, similar to the various iterations of the Enterprise. However, the game does not allow a single user to have the same name on more than one ship, even if changing the letter designation on the ID number (if I recall). So she will include the suffix on her ship's name to achieve the same result. She will not waste EC on changing the name of her old ships, which she may want to use again (if just for RP purposes) in the future.

While it may not be perfect in the strictest "letter of the lore" sense, it does indeed retain the spirit of the lore just fine.
This is precisely what my wife and I do. It's a hassle to have to rename old ships just so you can reuse a preferred name on a new ship. If it irritates other players that we do so, I'm pretty sure we can live with that.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
What I'd like to see an end to is not the unique ship names per character, but an end to the deliberate use of typos to get around naming restrictions.

People, when the system tells you that you can't name your ship Enterprise, Defiant, or Voyager, there's a REASON for that. Naming it Enterprize or Interprise doesn't negate that reason. Respect the canon or die. (figure of speech, not a death threat)
Wait hold on! Does that mean you royally disapproved of the name of my ship which is called:

U.S.S. Romp Shaker - with the registry NX 96969 X

Lt. Commander
# 103
01-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
he is right but you have to use a different name, now that I know it annoys the purists I may have to name my ship:

USS Name-A-2-34-901
Failed troll is failed. Back to your lasers you attention seeker .

---------------------------------------------------------

Sinse beta I was hopeing Cryptic wouldn't go soft nad become naming Nazi's, with PWE I doubt that'll ever happen.
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Wait hold on! Does that mean you royally disapproved of the name of my ship which is called:

U.S.S. Romp Shaker - with the registry NX 96969 X

LOL
< Throws $5's, $10's and $20's at The Romp Shaker >
Work that money maker.
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-13-2012, 06:07 AM
I can recall one of the Devs say would look into whether it could be set up where the game would look at the registry in conjunction with the name before telling you that you can't name it. Wonder whatever came of that.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-13-2012, 06:13 AM
It's simple - I'd love to be able to just use the Ship name and let the Registry have the letter, but I can't do that because game itself will not let me. So if I have a Name-X it's because I want to keep that ship and not loose it.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Who
It's simple - I'd love to be able to just use the Ship name and let the Registry have the letter, but I can't do that because game itself will not let me. So if I have a Name-X it's because I want to keep that ship and not loose it.
On in regard to Enterprize versus Enterprise - that I'll buy - it's just the English spelling. H.M.S. Enterprize for example. Even funnier is the name typos in order to circumvent name restrictions. Pikard for example instead of Picard.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Is this thread for real and when is it getting closed?
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
As far as I know, that's not how it happens in Star Trek. That's how the fan base refers to them. On-screen, they just say "Enterprise" always "Enterprise". Any other ships with that name is still "Enterprise."
Normally I don't touch zombies (they're icky), however I'll go ahead and respond here.

On TNG, Picard referred to his ship as the Enterprise-D a number of times, in is own, carefully enunciated style (in shows I've watched just recently). He also referred back to the Enterprise-C in a couple of episodes (including the one the Enterprise-C appeared in).

The various Enterprises have been referenced by characters in DS9 and Voyager using their letter designations as well. It is not unusal in the later shows when referencing historical "Enterprises" to refer to them with the letter designation, for clarity if nothing else.

So yes, it does happen in Star Trek numerous times. It also happens commonly in may official and/or standard sourcebooks and novels. That's why I've never really had an issue with it myself within STO. People began doing it simply because it seemed to fit the nature of the source material.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcenicx View Post
Only when two ships with the same name are referenced, such as in;

TNG Episode Relics (LaForge specifies Enterprise D after Scotty mistakes it for being Kirk's Enterprise A)

TNG Episode Yesterday's Enterprise (Yar specifies Enterprise C after she names it Enterprise, Picard does the same, and after that it all degenerates as both crews mixes Enterprise and Enterprise C/D)

Star Trek Generations (Picard first says he's captain of the Enterprise, then specifies Enterprise D, then reverts to just Enterprise again)

Excepting these three instances, I've yet to see it happen. The ship is always referred to as just the "Enterprise".

Oh, and ships given the same name only rarely share the same registry number. As a good example - the USS Defiant.

The Defiant was seen, and named, as the NCC-1764 in TOS "A Tholian Web", and was a Constitution-class cruiser.
The same ship is also seen in ENT "In a mirror, darkly", registry number and name clearly visible in both cases.
Thus, the Defiant in DS9 should have been named 1764-X, but it was not. It was named the NX-74205.
After its destruction and replacement, the renamed Saġ Paolo should have at least kept the NCC-74205-A, but AGAIN it did not. The new registry number was NCC-75633.
Either way is fine for naming your ship. I want to keep the same name for all of my ships, just as the Enterprise did over it's various classes (Constitution, Galaxy, etc.).

USS Centurion-A, -B,-C, etc. There's nothing wrong with that as far as Trek goes.
Closed Thread