Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I'd like for the devs in charge of character and BO customization programming to look at this video of phantasy star online 2's character creation because this is what you need to be aiming for down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89_T...eature=related

This is pretty close to what I would want STO's customization screen to look like. Instead of having most of the features on the same pages, the STO character customization window would change to a different customization screen everytime we selected a new feature to customize in the small, upper left menu (where the menu should be instead of strewn across the whole page). Alternatively, you could have 3-4 features on the same customization window, but that should be the maximum. Notice how the pop out menus for aesthetic options are much easier to manuever though than the single-column, top down lists we currently have for things like Klingon armor? Yeah, that's freaking awesome.

Let me know if guys and gals like this style of menus because I think it's pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
The URL contained a malformed video ID.
Sorry about that.

Hopefully you can post again soon, cause I'm looking forward to checking out what you came up with.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
Sorry about that.

Hopefully you can post again soon, cause I'm looking forward to checking out what you came up with.
Oh, crap. How do I fix that?

Edit: let me know if it's fixed. I think I correctly linked it now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
Sorry about that.

Oh, and it's the sega developers that came up with us, not me. They've always done a pretty good job of having great character customization options in Phantasy Star games.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Other than the problems with missing costume pieces on the different genders and the misplacing of some species specific pieces (something that has occurred as a side effect as more and more patches have been added), I like STOs customization just as it is now. The manual customization for each section is actually more flexible than Fantasy Star's... and the characters don't look all anime and the backdrop doesn't have all of those goofy wannabe sci-fi graphics that are not necessary to customization at all.

In short, no thanks. No offense meant, I just prefer the simplicity of STOs customization style.

Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I think my favorite character creation system was featured in ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_Ake-mh4U

It really did an amazing job with the face and hair, offering alot of variety. Plus the interface was simple to use and uncluttered.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Other than the problems with missing costume pieces on the different genders and the misplacing of some species specific pieces (something that has occurred as a side effect as more and more patches have been added), I like STOs customization just as it is now. The manual customization for each section is actually more flexible than Fantasy Star's... and the characters don't look all anime and the backdrop doesn't have all of those goofy wannabe sci-fi graphics that are not necessary to customization at all.

In short, no thanks. No offense meant, I just prefer the simplicity of STOs customization style.

Putting the goofy wannabe sci-fi graphics aside, STO could certainly condense it's customization windows by having less features per page, as well as having drop down menus with more columns. Having to scroll down through a long single column of options wastes my time when I could see them more easily if there were more columns. Plus, I can only see a few options while I'm scrolling down through the list instead of seeing them side by side. To be frank, STO's character customization menus clunky and aged. They could aso have a cooler background with ships fighting in the background or anything else for that matter (use your imagination).
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
They've always done a pretty good job of having great character customization options in Phantasy Star games.
Oh no you didn't!

Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 4 had limited if any character customization outside of the usual rpg ones. (stats and gear mainly)
Phantasy Star 3 was similar. However you could decide which woman/man to marry and therefor had some slight power over appearance. (I so do not count this as a spoiler.)
-
Phantasy Star Online 1 to Episode1+2 and Episode 4 had limites options. Faces and hair and change of color. Size and height was also available.
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 was in a similar boat.
-
Phantasy Star Universe went the step further and opened up with further by letting you select various facial features and accessories for the hair. And a tailor.
Phantasy Star Portable 1-3(ok... 2) had identical system albeit with more accessories and outfits.
-
Phantasy Star Online 2 has a separate slider for the boobies.
-

*cough hack wheeze* Never again. *faints*
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

Agreed. It was a fun link to check out.

The PS artists did a great job and the morphing feature looks fun to play around with, but I very much like the overall approach of our current interface (minus some bugs and quibbles).

I am very much in favor of a k.i.s.s. approach to a very plain (boring) limited background for my character to be on top of while I am customizing. I don't need fancy art behind them to keep me interested in customizing (since it's something I love to do), what I need is a nice neutral, unobtrusive back ground that lets my toons keep the 'spotlight' of where my eye and my attention are focused while I am working on them.

But still, a cool link. Glad you got it working. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
-
Phantasy Star Online 2 has a separate slider for the boobies.
-
So does STO, what's your point?

Unless you meant to say that "Phantasy Star Online has 2 separate slider(s) for the boobies."