Lt. Commander
# 11
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I would be exited if a bit dubious of a new Trek Series.

But I've heard that rumor for the last 10 years or more, I'm not believing it until I start seeing commercials.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Interesting a Dev that's using the forum like a regular player. Neat to see.

On to the topic now... I would like a new series even though I'd only get it through iTunes since I don't have TV anymore. Something new to keep track of now that Smallville is over.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I would be exited if a bit dubious of a new Trek Series.

But I've heard that rumor for the last 10 years or more, I'm not believing it until I start seeing commercials.
Yeah there was that thing back in August but there hasn't been any word since but it sounded like they it was STO + ferrengi having some ultimate new resource to extort the galaxy with.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I am amazed he made it in to a dev post. 10 years, didn't enterprise finish in waht 2005? Ever since star trek left there has been a void left, other than star trek to watch, i also watch stargate but the went as well and it was not the same. St 09 is a good movie but star trek I think is better off doing tv series, the is so much they can do and use the movies to fill in when something big is happening.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Most of the talk I see is for something significantly after STO, 26th century minimum, in the Prime Universe since CBS would be producing it and that's what they own.

It could be really cool if Cryptic could tie into it as a "prequel" by helping to setup backstory for it.

I'm dubious too. I think it could be really tempting just to involve Paramount and make it a TV spinoff of the new movies, helmed by Simon Pegg and Karl Urban or something. (As Redlettermedia points out, Uhura has usurped McCoy's role in the classic trinity so he could have an expanded role elsewhere.)

There's also the consideration that the movies are allegedly avoiding TNG-era aliens (but have already implied contact with the Cardassians.)

I could see a NuTrek series as a follow-up/prequel to DS9. Y'Know, McCoy and Scotty aboard a Constitution class Defiant or Yorktown (leveraging the movie sets) and dealing with the Ferengi and the Cardassians. They're both really outsiders in NuTrek and I could see them getting posted somewhere else and pulled back in for sequels the way Worf did in the TNG films. Maybe have Robert April in command to bring things full circle to Gene's first pitch and a NuTrek version of Number One.

I think if we see it set in the Prime Universe, it means Paramount doesn't want to be involved. And CBS COULD be entertaining all these pitches as a tactic to get Paramount to agree to a movie tie-in. (Like I suspect that Buffy movie disaster may have all been a ploy to try and lure Joss Whedon and Fox into working with the the Buffy movie producers on a film.) Y'know, if you assert that your share of the rights allow you to do your own thing, it increases your negotiating leverage with other rights holders to participate to avoid dilluting their share of the brand.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Lost filled me up nice in the Star Trek gap. Now there's literally nothing. I mean I have shows I like but I haven't had anything make me say "yay" for a while now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-15-2012, 04:19 PM
According to the man himself, Seth Macfarlane is trying to reincarnate Star Trek. He says it's one of his biggest project proposals, though he hasn't started it yet. I look forward to his results with excitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Lost filled me up nice in the Star Trek gap. Now there's literally nothing. I mean I have shows I like but I haven't had anything make me say "yay" for a while now.
Try the Big Bang Theory.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
You mean McCoy and Scotty lost in space somewhere?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Rambling on from the other thread...

How about a 70 to a 100 year gap since Nemesis as a compromise? It worked with the transition from TOS to TNG. Humans clearly live into their hundreds in the Trek universe so that leaves enough scope for a few guest stars as you so desire?

One thing is for sure - I wouldn't want Rick Berman anywhere near a new Trek!
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo86 View Post
One thing is for sure - I wouldn't want Rick Berman anywhere near a new Trek!

What did Rick Berman do to you?