Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsgale View Post
Being a larger threat to nearby enemies makes you their focus, and they'll shoot at you... and -not- your teammates. Thus freeing them to focus on offensive tactics while you take the damage and dish the damage, like a, well, tank.
The Threat Control skills do offer a passive Damage Resistance bonus, but that's mostly so you can have a chance of keeping up with the increased damage coming your way.
Generally, this is really something only people who intend to perform largely in the team role of Tank should even -consider- putting points into; it's basically a waste of points to anyone who prefers to dish out their damage in short confrontations and end battles decisively by themselves, or offer DPS support in any given fleet action. The damage resistance passive bonus is small enough that it's really only effective when combined with the other damage reducing skills, and the two skills don't usually become available until skills start costing over 2000 per point. Certainly reason enough to me to carefully consider my roles.

As an example, -have- a Vice Admiral Engineer that's captain of an Assault Cruiser. He's not a Tank, but I'm probably going to respec him towards being one, when I'm done fiddling around with the Skill Planner at STO Academy.
Yet, my current Captain Science character that's captain of a Long Range Science Vessel? I'm not even going to bother putting any points into either of the Threat Control skills for her. Science characters just... they make terrible tanks, in my opinion. They -can- do it... but nowhere near as well as Engineers or even Tactical captains.
Have yet to really flesh out my Tactical experience, so I don't know whether the way I'd level a Tactical captain up might benefit from some Threat Control over none or not. I'll see, eventually.
Now I see, this is the very reason, in the back of my head, why I want to tank...(well, this and I so enjoy irritating Klingon players!) but I almost never PvP in an established team or group so while it is an advantage to the other Federation players, with the lack of camaraderie, the residual benefit for me is very minor.

I will skip this skill, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsgale View Post
You had originally asked for builds or suggestions. I've given you impressions on the changes of the system, as well as some basic suggestions, but no direct suggestions towards what you were originally asking about...

So! Please allow me to share my Skill Planner build that I created for building a non-tank extended combat Engineer (space or ground).

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...atEngineer_841
I'll take a look...thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
I like your build...I would probably use the Excelsior Retrofit with the +5 to all subsystems.

I do prefer to use the latest Flagship shown in the last few movies but Cryptic has its own
ideas about things...

I never thought to use scramble sensors, tell me, does it work on all enemies or just the one targeting
you and someone else can target you thus bypassing the sill.

Also, the Scorpion fighters, isn't that a single consumable use item? If so, how do you replenish your supply?
If it renews like skills, what is the cool down time?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
I like your build...I would probably use the Excelsior Retrofit with the +5 to all subsystems.

I do prefer to use the latest Flagship shown in the last few movies but Cryptic has its own
ideas about things...

I never thought to use scramble sensors, tell me, does it work on all enemies or just the one targeting
you and someone else can target you thus bypassing the sill.

Also, the Scorpion fighters, isn't that a single consumable use item? If so, how do you replenish your supply?
If it renews like skills, what is the cool down time?
Everyone prefers their own ships, and I prefer my Soverign kitbash. That's as to be expected from a game that makes the play about what you're using and not how... But I digress.

Scramble sensors is to be used only on groups of enemies, the larger the batch the better. To aid in the use of this ability, you'll want to have your auxiliary power level up to at least base 35-40, just to give you some decent oomph when you use it. The ability isn't infallible, but it's great for taking some heat off of you and your allies and confusing a whole mess of enemies for about 5 to 10 seconds (average effective time affected, what with being fired on). When you use it, it only affects enemies caught in the energy field that expands from the target you shot the ability at. One single 'explosion' of sensor scrambling energy, and then about 5-10 seconds of free-for-all firing. Hint: Aim for the enemy closest to the middle of whatever group you're trying to hit.

Scorpion fighters are a consumable item, but they get given to you in stacks of 50. They use 1 on every use, but launch 3 from you shuttle bay. They're amazingly useful for keeping larger enemies preoccupied while you tear apart their support fleet... or for just giving the opposing fleet more things to have to shoot at. But beware, if you're up against a savvy foe, they might Scramble Sensors at -you-, and then you'll have additional fire coming down on you that you weren't prepared for. You get the item as a reward for one of the missions in The Vault string of missions (I think it's actually The Vault mission itself...).
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
Your quote in inapplicable, given you haven't "taught" anyone anything.

Again, thanks for playing---kindly run along now.
No, but I did make an excellent suggestion, that leads down the path of actually KNOWING what you are doing.

Want to learn something more specific? Here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stocombat/

Now you can actually gather data to perfect your build, instead of hoping the others here guess right for you.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malianx View Post
No, but I did make an excellent suggestion, that leads down the path of actually KNOWING what you are doing.

Want to learn something more specific? Here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stocombat/

Now you can actually gather data to perfect your build, instead of hoping the others here guess right for you.
I am well aware that x amount of time will yield x amount of knowledge which will translate into
x amount experience. This is a well established concept, you have not broken ground with your
suggestion.

The point of this thread was to benefit from the experience others have already learned. This is not
dissimilar to the tool-tip pop up window that shows when working within Photoshop, Corel, Excel
or any other extensive program. People share knowledge and offer suggestions all the time in the open chat windows, some members have taken it upon themselves to write tutorials on certain areas of the game although most are now out of date.

If you choose not to share what you have learned, fine but don't think your nonconstructive comments
in this thread are appreciated or desired.

Once again and hopefully for the last time, kindly find another thread to be ever so helpful in.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
I'm so confused too!!!!!!

I can figure out the what does what stuff but it real confusing spendin my 300K points without having actually played with the new systems... I ran out of points before I even got to Admiral level skills...
No one understands me when I say I was short 53K when I tried to duplicate my build prior to the big patch.... what they are GOING to tell you, is that you do not need 9's anymore in every skill... but I think it is a load of crap since I had to put 66K in ground and I still haven't gone on a ground mission... it is still a load of donkey dung.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I think what's being said is still perhaps being misconstrued. malianx has basically stated that it's better to go and do all the research of all the skills and abilities. That way, anyone would know what works best for them by just -knowing-. However, AZSteel has stated in the original post that they were seeking -suggestions- about the changes from the old system to the new system. Opinions, rather than hard knowledge.

I think that link you provided, malianx, is a potentially excellent tool to use for the active perfection of one's character build. It is also not an opinion. It will, if used, certainly inform the user of battle statistics, which would require they be well prepared to know exactly which statistics affect their desired abilities... Again, in the spirit of your postings, it is very much a "poke around and figure it out until it works best for you" sort of process. Though not in the spirit of the original post.

That said, I do believe that the best builds come from hard experience, since your play style really is unique to you and only you. You might play as a tank, but one person's tank does not equal the next person's tank, in most cases. So, AZSteel, while you have my suggestions and my build share, trust your instincts.

Also, TF-Omega, I do understand what you're talking about, having had a similar result with my own character on the first respec. I was also spending points up to 9 on more than a few abilities, so I was getting less effect with the same points spent elsewhere. Also, I did have to put points into Ground skills, but I didn't mind since I spent just enough in both categories that it really wasn't a huge issue.

Truly, if you just don't get lured into pumping more than one or two skills up to 9 (at most), I think you'll find that your points will spread to where you want them to, and then a little more.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I've decided to just re-roll. It looks like the skill system has changed enough that I'm better off learning from the ground up rather than trying to figure out where to put all my points with no idea how things play now.