Lt. Commander
# 1 "Special" Items on Ships
01-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I feel there should be an adjustment to the ships that are purchased through the C-Store. Since these are purchased using real money, shouldn't they offer truly better items?

Take the Peregrine Fighter for instance. It states that it comes with dual-phaser cannons that improve with your level. Fine and dandy, sounds good up front. However, they fail to mention that you can easily buy cheap common weapons that are far better at those levels than that "special" weapon. So the first thing you do is dump it for another. I guess if you intended to never spend another EC on a weapon nor craft one, this might be a good deal, but that's just silly.

Unless someone can verify that the increases of this weapon improves to a greater degree the more you level, so it eventually becomes more power than standard gear, I'd say it's a bad deal.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
This is the way that levelling items have always been. Yes they increase in level with you, but they aren't the best gear, look at it like this, at RA instead of a MK X weapon (or other item) it is really performing like a MK IX. I don't see that changing, because while some of them do nice tricks (like the TOS blue phasers) it wouldn't leave you with any incentive to buy newer stuff. Since you only need 1 skill now for things (like beam weapons) it makes it easier to swap out things for something you may want right then.

I understand the feeling, but I don't see it changing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498
This is the way that levelling items have always been. Yes they increase in level with you, but they aren't the best gear, look at it like this, at RA instead of a MK X weapon (or other item) it is really performing like a MK IX. I don't see that changing, because while some of them do nice tricks (like the TOS blue phasers) it wouldn't leave you with any incentive to buy newer stuff. Since you only need 1 skill now for things (like beam weapons) it makes it easier to swap out things for something you may want right then.

I understand the feeling, but I don't see it changing.
I agree, I don't see it changing either. I mean, if an error as obvious and easy to correct (like the key binding's Pitch Up & Pitch Down buttons being backward) hasn't been corrected in years, I guess this wouldn't change either. Just thought I'd speak my peace since this is a public forum.

However, the "incentive to buy newer stuff" would not seem to matter since there are no C-Store weapons for ships (not that I've seen), so why would they care if you didn't buy them in the game? It makes Cryptic no money. I would think that customers being happy with a purchase they used real money for would result in more future purchases than feeling they got a bad deal.

Thanks for your reply.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Encouraging such blatant pay-for-power is never a good idea as it essentially pay-gates competitiveness. This may make the game a bit more money, but will alienate a vast swath of the player base at the same time. This is why there are no +1 ships at level cap.

The "I should be stronger because I can throw money at it" mentality is not one I can honestly say I understand.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Encouraging such blatant pay-for-power is never a good idea as it essentially pay-gates competitiveness. This may make the game a bit more money, but will alienate a vast swath of the player base at the same time. This is why there are no +1 ships at level cap.

The "I should be stronger because I can throw money at it" mentality is not one I can honestly say I understand.
So don't offer premium ships if that is the concern. Offer items that give people special looking gear or have ships that look really different but don't have superior abilities. Now you have regular ships and "Refit" models that look the same. If there's no benefit of ability then there's no reason to have them. Just don't lure players with items that appear on the surface to be special when they are bottom-of-the-barrel goods. It isn't right.

I also know the popular opinion that players who "throw money" into a game are looked upon with contempt, but these are the people who are making the game free for others to play. Making them to feel that they are being duped is the quickest way to lose them and then the game closes its doors. I've seen it with many other games.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Not the best...
01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Leveling items aren't the best, but they eliminate the need to re-outfit your ship with each rank. When I create a new char I buy 4 Enterprises right off the bat, save the blue phasers (that's 4fore and 4aft) and everytime I rank up I use whatever weapons I have for the new rank, filling in missing slots with blue. Think of leveling weapons as a reserve that lets you save up EC for your end-game setup.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2012, 02:29 AM
OP Please... I beg you on my knees... (imagine they are bleeding and the bone is showing)...

DON'T encurage them to focus more on the c-store than they aready are... look... I am crying, just to make you stop giving them ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
OP Please... I beg you on my knees... (imagine they are bleeding and the bone is showing)...

DON'T encurage them to focus more on the c-store than they aready are... look... I am crying, just to make you stop giving them ideas.
LP Please... I beg you on my knees... (please read what I have posted and realize I am encouraging the opposite from what you are accusing me of)...

I'm saying make items that have a distinctly different look as opposed to more power. Right now they are selling exactly the same ships with maybe another console and crappy weapons. I'd rather pay for a cool looking ship with exactly the same abilities without any loadout and outfit it myself.

Let's face it: the reason STO is going F2P is because they have lost most of the paying user base. Perhaps the lame items in the C-Store were enough while there was a membership necessary, but now the only way the game will stay afloat is the C-Store. They must offer something that people are willing to buy so as to pay for YOU to play.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE5LA View Post
I feel there should be an adjustment to the ships that are purchased through the C-Store. Since these are purchased using real money, shouldn't they offer truly better items....
Note, it is possible to acquire C-Store ships without spending $$$ through the use of the Dilithium Exchange...

And in the name of Play Balance, what they offer can't be drasticly better... And not really a 'requirement' to be successful in the game... (As an example, In the lower level Starbase 24 Fleet Actions, I can take High Score flying a all white/green equiped Starship, so in many cases, Skill is just as important as equipment quality...)
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Note, it is possible to acquire C-Store ships without spending $$$ through the use of the Dilithium Exchange...
Right, and when you reach Commander 20, you'll be lucky if you've earned 10k in refined dilithium which will net you maybe 30 C-Store credits. Since the cheapest ships are about 400 points and the best ships at higher levels would require about 550,000 dilithium, is this really a viable option?