Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2012, 07:55 AM
these were designed for around 10-20 people.

they really need to be re-looked at a little to scale them down a touch. its doable with 5 people but people do need to work quite closely together, at least a the start.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I find the gorn mission fairly easy. The problem is most players don't seem to think in three dimensional space. You've got a giant bubble in 3D of enemy ships - so attack them from the outside of the bubble until you reach the objectives, then go WAY up and over that group, and hit the next group. Don't dive into the middle of the bubbles or you die. Your spawn gets moved up toward your objectives as you clear things, so eventually you stop needing to fly over groups.

Silly 20th century two-dimensional thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
these were designed for around 10-20 people.

they really need to be re-looked at a little to scale them down a touch. its doable with 5 people but people do need to work quite closely together, at least a the start.
Doable with 5? Not bragging here but I've done it with as few as 3 many times since you always have a couple quitters. That goes for all the FA's except CE. The Temple Dig Site I completed once with me and one other. Of course that one other was Kishary, a short skinny elflike alien sci officer toon, who is a grand master of ground combat. So I don't believe they need to be scaled down to make them easier, leave them tough and let the players get better at them.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
This is why the Gorn will kick your space butt, if ya don't listen/follow mission parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumStar
Part of the reason people find the Gorn Minefield FA so difficult is because they don't pay attention to mission parameters. If you don't do what the mission tells you to do then you're just wasting time and more than likely going to be worn down by respawns. I'll break it down part by part so those new to the FA will have a chance to complete it.

1st part - Free the freighters trapped by mines on the big asteroids.
Tip: Stick together as a team and fight your way from one big asteroid to another, freeing the trapped freighters, or break to the outside edge and work it from there. Once you have all 10 freighters liberated either break away to the right or left and fly around frigates or fly up and over them to the next objective.

2nd part - Destroy 36 crusiers
Tip: I always like to do this one from the right or left outside edge, less likely to be mobbed by respawns. Once you have all 36 cruisers destroyed again you can either fly up and over the crusiers or around them to the next objective.

3rd part- Destroy 12 battleships and 60 mines
Tip: You will come to an immense minefield just boost shields and let them detonate against your ship, clear out as many as you can, you'll have no problem breaking 60 in short order. Battleships will be on the other side of minefield, team up and take them out. This is the part where clearing out the mines is helpful since if they're cleared you won't have them exploding against your hull at the same time the battleships are firing at you.
Note: This part is actually harder on the Klingon side since mixed among the battleships there are dreadnoughts.

4th and final part- Kill the Dreadnought
Tip: The Dread will be hugged up against an array of turrets, you can either break all the turrets then go after Dread or kite Dread away from turrets then kill him. Either way seems to work ok. Have team concetrate fire on one shield facing, fwd, rear, either side, doesn't matter. Take shield down and make Dread a ball of flames.

Follow that and communicate to team what needs to be done and you will be able to finish it. i've had people complain to me how unbeatable these FA's are but all can be completed fairly easily if you know what you are doing, and yes that includes the ground missions too. The one exception is the Crystaline Entity which I have only seen completed twice in my over 200 days of playing STO.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
The Gorn will have it no other way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumStar
Doable with 5? Not bragging here but I've done it with as few as 3 many times since you always have a couple quitters. That goes for all the FA's except CE. The Temple Dig Site I completed once with me and one other. Of course that one other was Kishary, a short skinny elflike alien sci officer toon, who is a grand master of ground combat. So I don't believe they need to be scaled down to make them easier, leave them tough and let the players get better at them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I seriously did the latter half of Gorn Minefield solo just the other day. Honestly I think I could have done the whole thing solo it just would have taken a lot longer. I will say that being in the Defiant retrofit with the cloak was instrumental, because I could cloak and fly around the asteroids unharmed to find one with a ship that needed rescue. With my skill loadout (CSV3 and TSpr2) I was able to pretty much take out an entire "wing" of fighters with one volley so I'd just liberate the freighter and then try to get away to cloak again or just die and respawn.

Started with 4 others, we spent a lot of time randomly killing swarms of vishap fighters until I figured out what I had do. Teammates weren't doing much of anything (kept getting tangled in swarms of fighters) so I moved on myself to the frigates. Killed a number of those, eventually my teammates came and killed a few of those. When we were at about 30/36 frigates killed they had all quit so I killed the last 6 on my own, then moved on to battleships and mines. Those weren't hard at all since most battleships you can find flying solo, they were easy to take out 1v1. The trick there was just to fly past the minefield to find the lone battleships, and not the ones mixed in with the frigates. The final boss wasn't too bad he killed me once after I had got his hull down to 50%, and when I died he reset and got all his health back. But the second try I destroyed the torpedo platform hear him, and then solo'd him down without much difficulty. Got the 1st place trophy (obviously)- and well earned too since I did >half the mission by myself, and my teammates hardly did jack when they were there. They probably only rescued about 3/10 freighters and only killed maybe 10 frigates before they all quit. Oh and don't forget they were very polite by making sure to hit "need" for any loot that dropped but hardly contributed to the mission as well.

In all I think it took me an hour to an hour and a half from beginning to end.

But holy crap- I have never seen so many ships in STO before. I wonder how it would be flying that mission in my sci ship with grav well iii.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Try Starbase 24...the NPCs Klingons, don't play around there...
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
I soloed the Federation minefield fleet action with a raptor, start to finish (before the stupid queues of course). It is entirely doable, but you need to be gamey about it.

And yes it really does need reworking, the spawns are ridiculous and should turn off after the relevant objective is complete, just like the scout force fleet action. But it is doable if you are careful, and generally work above or below the spawn zones so you don't constantly pull things from every which way.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
You know, Breaking the Planet fleet action is some awesome, fun and quick action with good loot. You guys should try it. It has almost the same rewards as Romulan Temple/Big Dig without the long, drawn out crap.