Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-14-2012, 07:11 AM
As I am not that fond of the current UI (far too unicolored) I wouldn't mind if there was an option to switch between the current UI and a "New Website Style UI".
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I love the new site look...clean and to the point and not that overdone hideousness it had before.

Just like the in game UI is hideous and needs a massive redo.Even just allowing other choices in color would be great but that blue is just terrible looking.

This is one of those games that needs to allow players to modify and create their own UI mods like Rift,WoW,LOTRO and other MMO's allow players to do.

That way people could have whatever design UI they want.

So to answer your question I would love it if the in game UI looked like the site.

Black is far cleaner looking than that hideous blue color they have now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-14-2012, 08:01 AM
L99, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. In my opinion, a UI is only well designed if it is not in the way. While I'll agree the blood red Klingon UI and the bright blue Fed UI are a little harsh, I don't think going with the metallic color would be a better alternative.

I would prefer for the UI itself to almost be transparent with only the major icons being seen. I'm unable to tinker with photoshop at the moment, but I'm sure one of the more creative users could put a proof of concept together. Almost all of the UI borders could be cut in half. Leave the action icons the same size, but reduce the amount of space between and around them. Same with the minimap, though I like having the shortcuts up there. And the chat box has way too much empty space in the UI. I'd prefer it to be completely transparent with only the text being visible.

One other issue I have with the Perpetual UI is the "game in a box" look. That long action bar at the bottom makes the game feel like it is in a box. With Cryptic's UI, it has a more HUD look. That I prefer. I'd just prefer less UI and more info.

Plus, the Perpetual UI has a sort of Buzz Lightyear feel to it that I can't explain. But It doesn't sit well with me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-17-2012, 04:58 AM
I don't really care about the skin of the UI as far as it is bug free. When I compare the STO UI to other mmos like WoW, LotRO, DC Universe, Eve, etc., it feels like its constantly falling apart. Lots of flicker, weird gaps everywhere, even more terrible when scaling. This should have beed resolved in beta or soon after launch. But it seems Cryptic made themselves comfortable with this state.

It might seem extreme but the UI is THE main reason why I don't play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
L99, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. In my opinion, a UI is only well designed if it is not in the way. While I'll agree the blood red Klingon UI and the bright blue Fed UI are a little harsh, I don't think going with the metallic color would be a better alternative.

I would prefer for the UI itself to almost be transparent with only the major icons being seen. I'm unable to tinker with photoshop at the moment, but I'm sure one of the more creative users could put a proof of concept together. Almost all of the UI borders could be cut in half. Leave the action icons the same size, but reduce the amount of space between and around them. Same with the minimap, though I like having the shortcuts up there. And the chat box has way too much empty space in the UI. I'd prefer it to be completely transparent with only the text being visible.

One other issue I have with the Perpetual UI is the "game in a box" look. That long action bar at the bottom makes the game feel like it is in a box. With Cryptic's UI, it has a more HUD look. That I prefer. I'd just prefer less UI and more info.

Plus, the Perpetual UI has a sort of Buzz Lightyear feel to it that I can't explain. But It doesn't sit well with me.
^ This x100. Immersion is not knowing there is a UI - making it intuitive so that it stays out of the way and the player "just" sees the world/their character.

In terms of the Perpetual UI screenshots:
- curved corners waste a lot of space. You end up with lots of padding that isn't useful for the player.
- ditto gradients.
- the bottom bar concept can work, but obviously it 'has issues' with widescreen, and generally isn't a great idea. (you can find some very good mods for MMOs that work similarly to this, but I wouldn't suggest a default interface built this way)
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-17-2012, 06:16 AM
The Perpetual design looks shiny, I do very much like it, however, its just not practical to add that to the game, as it would simplify things too much. I combination of the Cryptic's function, and some of the Perpetual's looks and shininess would work well.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I find the ingame ui bland and a bit ugly but as others have noted the website ui doesn't look like star trek. Perhaps some sort of combination of the two?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Personally, I'd love to have the dark gray option for the UI. It gets confusing when I switch back and forth between fed and KDF, mostly because "orange" is bad for fed, but good for KDF. If there was an option for a unified UI layout, then I would take it in a heartbeat.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
This is a Star Trek MMO, intended to allow us to immerse ourselves in the Star Trek universe. In my opinion, Cryptic's user interface furthers this goal far better than any of the basic, incomplete designs offered up by Perpetual's early concept art.

How would I feel if the in-game UI looked more like the website? Not happy. Besides, as many a dev has stated, the user interface is one of the game's core elements and it is highly unlikely that it will ever be altered at this stage.
I agree 100%