Lt. Commander
# 21
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobogon
Just so I am clear on what you are saying ..

You know its supposed to be rare
You know its suppose to take time to get
and you are cool with that

but ...

You are not cool with it being rare
You are not cool with it taking time to get

in addition you are also not cool with bad luck, something that no one anywhere has control over by the way, and would like the drop rates to improve to such a degree as to be 100% guaranteed in exchange for your word that you will not stop playing STFs because you like to help people.
People are okay that it's rare.
People are okay with it taking time to get.

What people aren't okay is that after 200-300 STF runs, they never see a single piece of Tech. But some lucky individuals are sporting full MKXII sets after 20 runs.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
The first guy to get the complete mk 12 set, Vornek, got it in 46 runs. All three pieces. I've done 120+ elite runs, and not a single drop; it really is more a matter of luck than anything else. Others have done far more than I have with a similar lack of luck.

One thing that might be nice would be something like a guaranteed prototype tech drop if you complete an elite mission, with the optional, without dying once or something. I guaruntee that if getting the optional done on elite is a pre-requisite, you won't have people just standing by at the start so as to avoid death, since none of the elite optionals (KA ground as a possible exception) can be completed by anything other than a five-man teaming working in close coordination.

A little bit of grinding I can live with. This silly luck-fest is another matter entirely. You want to make it hard to get, to require a great deal of skill? Then tie the drop rate into the MACO / Honour Guard Commander accolades. Anyone who can earn those has demonstrated a very high level of skill in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain Brown
Fixed it for you.
You're implying that Gozer in fact didn't see this thread and asked Brandon to handle it because he was busy working on some AWESOME new fix or feature.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
What did you "fix"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nPoon
You're implying that Gozer in fact didn't see this thread and asked Brandon to handle it because he was busy working on some AWESOME new fix or feature.
I believe he just meant that he fixed the word IS to be ARE... Proper English, was his only intent.

Lt. Commander
# 25
01-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Quote:
This gear reminds me of the Mandolorian armor in SWG. Ah, DWB memories =P
The thing with Mando was that the parts to make it could be bought from players or even already crafted pieces. Maybe it wasn’t earned so to speak, but it could still be acquired without ever going to the DWB. That would be something if with a certain number of Prototype Borg Salvage, Rare Borg Salvage, and Encrypted Data Chips combined with some regular crafting supplies we could craft M.A.C.O. Omega, and Honor Guard gear at MK X, MK XI, and MK XII. Throw in a large amount of Dilithium and maybe the devs could be talked into it. It would be a nice option even if it were bind on pickup.

I believe the problem is that players are not supposed to get it the MK XII drops. Like people are not supposed to win the lottery or win at the slot machine, but they are supposed to play and lose over and over. The Devs are betting against players getting the MK XII gear. It is not about earning it, but simply about being willing to run the Elite STFs with the hope that you just might be a winner. The lucky people that do get all 3 tech drops are the visible in-game carrots at the end of the STF sticks. It is the MMO trick of getting people to stay and play through repetitive content with the hope of getting something in game that is very rare. If they wanted players to earn Mk XII gear there would be a way to earn it like there is for the for MK X and MK XI gear. If there were 10 or more STFs with a larger variety of game play then it might not be so bad.

I think the idea of some kind of earned credit for completing an Elite STF with its optional is a good idea. Maybe something like the player gets a Rare Encrypted Data Chip and X number of Rare Encrypted Data Chips gets a MK XII Elite requisition of your choice.

If players stopped running Elite STFs that would for better or worse send a more meaningful signal that amount of reward for the effort does not match up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldoran
A little bit of grinding I can live with. This silly luck-fest is another matter entirely. You want to make it hard to get, to require a great deal of skill? Then tie the drop rate into the MACO / Honour Guard Commander accolades. Anyone who can earn those has demonstrated a very high level of skill in the game.
I like this idea, but I think that makes getting the gear more simple than they want it to be.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
I just want guarantees on my rewards, not some harsh lottery.
I doubt would happen in a F2P game that relies on l00t to keep players in. There's no economical incentive for Cryptic to offer guarantees on any rewards, actually.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
The thing with Mando was that the parts to make it could be bought from players or even already crafted pieces. Maybe it wasn’t earned so to speak, but it could still be acquired without ever going to the DWB. That would be something if with a certain number of Prototype Borg Salvage, Rare Borg Salvage, and Encrypted Data Chips combined with some regular crafting supplies we could craft M.A.C.O. Omega, and Honor Guard gear at MK X, MK XI, and MK XII. Throw in a large amount of Dilithium and maybe the devs could be talked into it. It would be a nice option even if it were bind on pickup.
I think this is a great idea
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
I think this is a great idea
Yeah I like it and if you get lucky, you do not need to craft it. Getting the crafting supplies could be a grind in and of itself, but I think it would be a more realistic goal than knowing you can do 100+ Elite STFs and never get anything. However, there is a reasonable chance of getting the Borg tech I mentioned. In addition, you would need to master crafter and maybe spend money for c-points to get enough dilithium for the uncommon unreplicateable materials. I do not think there is a good chance of this happening.

The thing with MK XII is that it is better than Mk XI, but not by much. I think all people really want is the costumes. I got all the MACO MK XI ground gear, but I knew what I needed to do. If I go for MK XI space gear, I am just going to do them on double reward days and it takes as long as it takes.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
This gear reminds me of the Mandolorian armor in SWG. Ah, DWB memories =P
Mostly bad memories.

I must have run the DWB 200 or 300 times and all I ever got were the Mando gauntlets and boots. The real kicker was they were different colors.

I finally gave up on ever getting the chest piece and helmet, which is what I really wanted.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
As someone who has hopped into the Borg defense every time it has popped up, regardless of my rank, I'm not apologizing. I'm so so sorry that some random folks have mucked up the STFs that you mindlessly continue to view as your own personal Borg gear slot machine.

I would recommend looking into Gamblers Anonymous.