Lt. Commander
# 1 Choosing Need for EVERYTHING
01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
It seems a waste to have the need or greed option when some people always hit need.

If the Devs added a bonus for the first three Need rolls every hour, wouldn't that stop everyone from hitting need every time when looting? A cumulative penalty for every need roll would work also.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
This is a problem with all MMOs, not just STO. People will roll Need on stuff they don't actually Need - they just want it to sell.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
This is a problem with all MMOs, not just STO. People will roll Need on stuff they don't actually Need - they just want it to sell.
Unless it's a game with a better system that doesn't use the needlessly complicated Need/Greed metric. CoH uses random drops for everything, and IMO was a much better than thissystem we have. No button clicking. No waiting for everyone to choose "Greed" before ripping them off with a "Need" at the end. Random means you get what you get and are free to sell/trade it after that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
CoH, as I recall though, has no actual "gear" concept. You get those kind of "buffs" that you can use whenever you need. So there's no reason to Need/Greed things. The problem with random in a gear-based game, is the randomly handing out might give you something that's completely worthless to you - and maybe it isn't tradable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
i dont need everything i pass almost everything. Infact I see more people greed than ever need. How do you know said person doesnt need money?

How do you prove when a person truly needs something or not?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
i dont need everything i pass almost everything. Infact I see more people greed than ever need. How do you know said person doesnt need money?

A general rule of thumb for proper MMO etiquette, is a "need" is defined by a gear upgrade. "Greed" is because you want to sell it. "Need"ing something to sell it, is greed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
A general rule of thumb for proper MMO etiquette, is a "need" is defined by a gear upgrade. "Greed" is because you want to sell it. "Need"ing something to sell it, is greed.
Never heard of these rules. Thus need is defined as by me. and I trust that is what most others believe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie

If they give a bonus to a certain amount of need rolls, then people can judge for themselves what they need.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonto
If they give a bonus to a certain amount of need rolls, then people can judge for themselves what they need.
Except this concept punishes a player who might be genuinely finding gear upgrades all the time and, thus, "needs" the item. While this may not be 100% true, it is still having that chance.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
It's just greed. That's all it is and there's no need for it.