Lt. Commander
# 11
01-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Somebody pretty much always hits need, so if you want any loot then you need to click need too. It is what it is. Go with the flow, or don't get any loot. Shrug.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Except this concept punishes a player who might be genuinely finding gear upgrades all the time and, thus, "needs" the item. While this may not be 100% true, it is still having that chance.
Not if it is refreshed every hour. Ones need should not overshadow everyone else's need. I find it hard to believe that some would always truly need everything dropped, because it is usually not matching gear (how many engines do some people need?).
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonto
Not if it is refreshed every hour. Ones need should not overshadow everyone else's need. I find it hard to believe that some would always truly need everything dropped, because it is usually not matching gear (how many engines do some people need?).
Because most of the time people who "need" don't "need" it. They just want to get all the loot so they can sell it. They should pick Greed - but they don't. This has been a problem with the Need/Greed system for years, when they realize that need gets priority, they pick Need anyway so they can sell the loot.

It's why (not the MMO I like to bring up) WoW had that "Master Looter" system come out - it allowed someone to control who got what, so that way you don't get "ninja looters" who wait to see if anyone needs something, wait until they all greed, then they hit "need" to steal the item to sell it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-18-2012, 09:37 AM
The need option should be removed completely.

Going with just greed or pass ensures that they’ll be no loot sniping

It gets tiring to watch players hit need on everything and then hear them say hold up a sec, I need to clear inventory during the mission

A day or so ago I was running KA Ground Elite and our group had one member that just kept needing on everything (including the junk) so I started clicking Need right after they wood every time only to have the player complain that I should need any of the stuff at all.

I was able to convince the rest of the squad to just go need on all drops so that they at least got a fair shake at getting anything.

The loot system is currently flawed and I’d suggest that until its fixed start encouraging the teams that you end up with to just adopt the Need or Pass Option on all drops at the start of whatever mission that you’re doing.

More and more loot snipers are popping up every day and our current loot system just makes it easy for them to take advantage of players who follow the greed or pass system.

How hard would it be for Cryptic to just gray out the need option and make it of selectable?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Where is the button to turn of all the worthless junk i dont need drops and only trouble me with the decent stuff at the end. Maybe just a payout based on points scoured during mission. Not a big deal really but honestly i either let it sit there in the corner of my screen till it goes away or i hit need. I dont use my mouse much during combat so i have to switch gears to click it. And as far as selling it on exchange, thats a real pain cause if the stuff doesnt sell than somehow it gets lost and than i get returned to you emails from now on. SO, if its an issue i guess i can try to pass more which is what the timeout does. But really all i want is the stuff at the end and the optional prize, maybe.

And btw, i doubt anyone is getting rich on stf drops...
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonto
It seems a waste to have the need or greed option when some people always hit need.

If the Devs added a bonus for the first three Need rolls every hour, wouldn't that stop everyone from hitting need every time when looting? A cumulative penalty for every need roll would work also.
When people are selling stuff on the AH for millions of EC's, most people will need everything, even if its to repliicate it for a few credits... How else does a Lt. Commander afford nearly a million credits to get his ship running on blues.

OK, let's look at kitting out a Lt. Commander's ship in blue gear from the AH

2xbeams = 160,000 (80k each)
1x torp = 150,000
1x resil shield = 100,000
1x engine = 75,000
1x deflector = 75,000

That's half a milliion for blue MKIV gear and you haven't even thought about your consoles...

So say 3/4 of a million ECs to kit out a new toon with MKIV blue gear.

Let's look at purples...

2xbeams = 1,800,000 (900k each)
1x torp = 700,000
1x resil shield = 200,000
1x engine = 1,800,000
1x Deflector = 250,000

Nearly 5 million EC's for purple stuff on a Lt. Commander's ship, again without even looking at consoles...

I see why people click need on everything and I can see where the greedy people really are in the game without a dice roll.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Its high time we got rid of greed and went with Need and Pass.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
When people are selling MKIV Blues for 500,000 EC's most people need everything, even if its to repliicate it for a few credits... How else does a Lt. Commander afford 500,000 for 1 beam...

2xbeams = 500,000
1xtorp = 500,000
1shield = 500,000
1engine = 500,000
1deflector = 500,000

That's 3 milliion for blue MKIV gear and you haven't even thought about your consoles... could prbably add another 2 million on to that for them.

So 5 million to kit out a new toon with MKIV blue gear, Yes I need everything and always will....

Are you on the same exchange i shop on? I been paying 10-20k for blue mkX consoles. I honestly dont know about the beams, but always leveled with whites. Never could tell the difference till RA anyway. Unless your in an elite commander level PVP team.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
It's annoying. It's in every MMO with a Need/Greed mechanic. It's not going away.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't mind people who "need" everything. I simply hit need, too. It gets funny however when those people get upset over it.