Lt. Commander
# 1 Bizarre Facebook ad for STO
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
This ad for STO just popped up on Facebook, by "register.perfectworld.com". This is the copy:

"Follow the rules of acquisition as a Ferengi in Star Trek Online & bribe & cheat your way to the top! More is good. All is better!"

Whoever wrote that copy has not played a Ferengi in-game. (I have a Ferengi alt.) Ferengi have as a species trait a discount for requisitions. That's it. No wheeling and dealing, no cheating.

They also haven't read "The Path to 2409"/"The Needs of the Many" (published materials describing the storyline within Star Trek Online), which makes it clear that a Ferengi joining Starfleet may likely *not* have business acumen, or is just generally against the stereotypical Ferengi cultural principles.

It's just, weird. The ad has no relevance to the game whatsoever. I'm hoping that the copy for the ad could be corrected to better reflect gameplay for a Ferengi toon.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirannataan
This ad for STO just popped up on Facebook, by "register.perfectworld.com". This is the copy:

"Follow the rules of acquisition as a Ferengi in Star Trek Online & bribe & cheat your way to the top! More is good. All is better!"

Whoever wrote that copy has not played a Ferengi in-game. (I have a Ferengi alt.) Ferengi have as a species trait a discount for requisitions. That's it. No wheeling and dealing, no cheating.

They also haven't read "The Path to 2409"/"The Needs of the Many" (published materials describing the storyline within Star Trek Online), which makes it clear that a Ferengi joining Starfleet may likely *not* have business acumen, or is just generally against the stereotypical Ferengi cultural principles.

It's just, weird. The ad has no relevance to the game whatsoever. I'm hoping that the copy for the ad could be corrected to better reflect gameplay for a Ferengi toon.
But how would changing the copy help trick people who would really be happier playing EVE into trying STO?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirannataan
I believe this needs a translation.
Bribe=Buy C-points.
Cheat=Buy C-store ships.
More= Buy buy buy buy!
All= Buy moar!

Cheat could also be the TR-116 but I doubt it. :p

Do note this was written in jest. And anyone taking it seriously is well... Over thinking it and need to take a deep breath and a slice of chocolate cake.