Lt. Commander
It's been a /long time/ since I played and to be honest I don't remember the intricacies of the game very much. Logged in recently to see that I've got probably 40 boff's across all my characters that I don't have assigned to crew; and I'm not sure if any of them are worth keeping anymore.

If I remember correctly you can train most skills from having the appropriate captain and skill allocation as well as from the vendor on FirstCity/ESD? So what makes a Rare/VR Boff worth keeping? How would you know? Sorry for such a newby question but trying to get a grip on the 'finer' points of the game again
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 04:08 AM
I don't think it's a newbee question. I usually fill all my BOFF slots just to bring some life to my ships bridge.
As you can train your BOFFs I can't see any real difference between white, green, blue an purple BOFFs, too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Their passives mostly. Very Rare Boffs for example have 2 regular and 2 superior passives.
Check if their passives, also called traits, match their weapons, powers or role.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
Their passives mostly. Very Rare Boffs for example have 2 regular and 2 superior passives.
Check if their passives, also called traits, match their weapons, powers or role.
So their passives are the only difference? Is there any real large difference from a super-duper-rare and a basic common that's been trained[IE: is it a miniscule difference, or something that can actually be seen?). Is there any abilities(not passives) that can only be found on some boff's? Are there any passives that are worth going out of the way to find/get?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
There are some super rare powers that only come from Boffs and people usually go crazy over the efficient trait.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
There are some super rare powers that only come from Boffs and people usually go crazy over the efficient trait.
Do they even offer new efficients anymore? Anyways, to expand on this the Efficient Saurian was highly prized because it was one of the few traits that boosted space combat (slight power boost). The C-Store Borg also does this but you can only have one IIRC. The only other space-enhancing trait that I can recall is the human leadership trait (repair buff), but that is race-specific and applies regardless of quality. Since they effect space combat, they effect PVP so people often go crazy to get a little bit of an edge.

The passives mostly effect solo ground PVE. Things like extra melee strength, or resists to debuffs, etc. Since solo PVE isn't really hard, they aren't too necessary. And any ground PVP or group PVE isn't going to use boffs, so they have no effect there. In short, get what you want and don't worry about it. But also keep in mind that with the new doff system boff prices on the exchange on fed side have dropped like a rock. If you really want, say a Vulcan tac, it probably isn't too much to get a purple, and blues are dirt cheap.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
There are some other exceptions also.

Tactical Officers have untrainable powers that go for a good amount on the Exchange. Rare Blue Tacs that have Beam Overload 3, as well as Purple Tacs that have Torpedeo Spread 3.

These 2 powers are rare and while the overload 3 will get you between 800k and 1.5 million depending on availablitily, Torp Spread 3 will get you at least 6 Million easy.

So yeah most Boffs can be saold or dismissed, but look out for the untrainable powers as they sell for more.