Lt. Commander
# 61
01-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
The Oxford English Dictionary is the ultimate authority on the English language:
An act or instance of lying; a false statement made with intent to deceive; a criminal falsehood. Phrase, to tell (†formerly to make) a lie . †Also, without lie, no lie, truly (often as an expletive in Middle English poetry; cf. without fable at fable n. 1d).In mod. use, the word is normally a violent expression of moral reprobation, which in polite conversation tends to be avoided, the synonyms falsehood and untruth being often substituted as relatively euphemistic

-Source OED.
The OED sums it up quite nicely. Accusing someone of lying is, violent expression of moral reprobation, which in polite conversation tends to be avoided. Calling someone a liar does not just posses the denotation of accusing them of intentionally attempting to mislead, it possesses the connotation of accusing them of immoral or unethical behavior.

That is all I have to say about that. The Oxford English Dictionary states my points most eloquently.
So you are telling me Oxford only has one definition of the word? Really? Now that would be giving a false statement made with the intent to deceive. Nice going.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
It's more official than what "people think it means" as you tried to pool.
First, if you're going to argue about language, you should learn to use it. Tried to "pool?" Really?

Second, you left out the Merriam-Webster portion of my argument. Or the Oxford English Dictionary post above. ALSO, way to leave out the first and second definition of dictionary.com.

But hey, I'm done. Your intent is clear. No point in arguing anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
First, if you're going to argue about language, you should learn to use it. Tried to "pool?" Really?

Second, you left out the Merriam-Webster portion of my argument. Or the Oxford English Dictionary post above. ALSO, way to leave out the first and second definition of dictionary.com.

Under SOPA, quoting (copying and pasting) someone elses post will be illegal... I think Cryptic need to get rid of the Quote button, I for one don't want others to quote (copy and pasting) my original thoughts
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

Fast typing. So I made a typo. You never have?

I showed that there was a definition that fits so why would people get upset by proper use of the word being used. You all are saying I can't. So if a definition fits, then it can be used. I am not saying other definitions don't exist like you are. And I went to Websters site and it has : to create a false or misleading impression.

You didn't mention that, did you? So you basically did what you are accusing me of? Wow. Maybe next word you should look up is "Hypocrisy".

You are strong in the ways of trolling though. Nice.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Humans, this thread is now over.

Q
Closed Thread