Lt. Commander
# 21
01-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Here's some tips from someone that ran a load of elite ground STFs:

Avoid burst weapons like miniguns and auto fire weapons, they're crap unless you're a Tac that is providing suppresive fire to protect your teammates.

The Pulsewave Assault is the best "in their face" weapon. The MACO rifle is kind of... poo for STFs. It's a decent "2nd" weapon tho with it's sniper shot but the primary shot as it is right now makes the rifle near useless. The Omega gun is even worse, full burst mode mostly causes the Borg to adapt to one volley. Single shot weapons more or less rule the day here, Blast Assault, Sniper Rifle, Compression Pistol and the Pulsewave Assault.

Also, Wide Beam pistols for Scis/Engis as a side arm to expose the Borg so your Tacs can Exploit attack on them is pretty handy. Heavies and Elites die rather quick when this happens.

Also note, turrets etc. are great for drawing Borg attention. If you as an engineer want to inflict serious damage, use the Enemy Neutralization kit, it's bomb and mines are incredibly powerfull vs the Borg. The weapon disable attack and fuse armor are nifty too if your team is being shot at by a heavy or elite.

Scis are best off with a kit that is using Tachyon Harmonic. Zap the shields of the Borg and watch em die like they're from the normal diff runs. My personal favourite kit is the Analyst kit. Medical kits are kind of... well less useable in elite ground runs let us say. By the time your medic put a nice heal on you, you'll probably be dead by a DoT or unlucky flank shot anyway. It's not the fault of the medic, it's the unbalanced resistences on gear that is doing this to people. More plasma resistance on the set items would solve this but as it stands now, the person working on revamping the set items is actually thinking of stripping the plasma resistence which in my opinion is... stupid beyond words. But hey, who am I to say such things, right?

Hope these pointers help.

P.S.: Energy type used by multiple people is still a theory but I did notice if there's more then 1 person using Phaser damage for example that the Borg do seem to adapt a bit quicker to it. Maybe there's some type of mechanic to it that we've not fully figured out yet?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meynolt
Scis are best off with a kit that is using Tachyon Harmonic. Zap the shields of the Borg and watch em die like they're from the normal diff runs. My personal favourite kit is the Analyst kit. Medical kits are kind of... well less useable in elite ground runs let us say. By the time your medic put a nice heal on you, you'll probably be dead by a DoT or unlucky flank shot anyway. It's not the fault of the medic, it's the unbalanced resistences on gear that is doing this to people. More plasma resistance on the set items would solve this but as it stands now, the person working on revamping the set items is actually thinking of stripping the plasma resistence which in my opinion is... stupid beyond words. But hey, who am I to say such things, right?
I swear by my Medic Kits for STFs. On both Elite and Normal (I can usually be found inflicting PuGs on myself on Normal ground STFs but do run Elite as well) the Medic kit, particularly the basic Medic Kit is a powerful team heal kit but as with anything it really relies on the rest of the team helping themselves. I was in a PuG last night that was good but obviously inexperienced and the healing was pretty easy for me as they helped themselves, the optional was nowhere near being achieved but they improved as they went along and listened to advice in Team Chat.
The PuG before that however was just bad; no self healing, no use of cover and to top it off no one but me was using Team Chat so co ordination was nowhere to be found. My Medic Kit was useless there as healing someone who's stood in range of 8 Tac Drones isn't going to help them.

The Plasma Resistances on gear I don't think is going to be badly missed. It's only being reduced by 10% last time I saw (from 20% Plasma to 10% all damage) so MACO won't be hugely affected and Omega will be buffed as it currently has no resistance to Plasma anyway.
I guess it depends on whether these are intended to be anti Borg gear or just the best gear at end game for everything. If they're anti Borg then they need Plasma resists but if it's intended that these 3 sets will be all you'll need for end game ground combat then the changes make sense.
It would be nice if the one shots were toned down a little though, they get tedious after a while.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtnick View Post
this is only how i figure the things goin on .... its possible that im wrong

for weapons, borg adapt by wepon type, if 2 memebers have the same flavor wepon (ie ap, plasma,phaser etc) they both add to the hit count. Each dmg somoene deals from one type adds to the count for borg to assimilate. I also noticed that if I hit multiple borg in a single shot that it was counted as the number of borg that i hit wih the attack. For example a stacked up group of borg got hit with the secondary fire of the blast rifle (shotgun), it happened to me that they adapted afte only 1 shot.

Other thing i noticed that if 2 of the team members have the same weapon flavor, they adapt much faster from this you can have the issue when half the team has the maco rifle.

about the sci skills like thermal vent and radiation (old names I know dont remember the new ones) they do dot dmg to multiple targets, each hit of 1 or more dmg is counted toward adapting.

dunno if it helps, I think this is how the mechanics work.
I think you may be right about the Borg adapting to the weapon energy type.

I use an Mk XII [Borg] Plasma Minigun and a few days ago while running a ground STF I had a team member start telling me to stop using my Weapon because the Borg were adapting to us too quickly.

This player kept going on and on about how if anyone on the team kept using a minigun or rapid fire weapon that theyíd leave the team.

My response to their threat was to not let my foot catch them in the backside on the way out of the mission but it seemed that they too were using a Plasma type weapon.

There does seem to be something strange going on with the Borg adaption.

Iíve cleared my adaption and fired a standard 3 burst shot at a drone only to see the Borg adapt to me has soon has the 1st bolt struck them.

Iíve also had one instance where Iíve cleared my adaption and never fire off a shot and still had the adaptation icon appear on me again.

Iíve also had Borg adapt to me using melee attacks with my hand weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
I think you may be right about the Borg adapting to the weapon energy type.

I use an Mk XII [Borg] Plasma Minigun and a few days ago while running a ground STF I had a team member start telling me to stop using my Weapon because the Borg were adapting to us too quickly.

This player kept going on and on about how if anyone on the team kept using a minigun or rapid fire weapon that theyíd leave the team.

My response to their threat was to not let my foot catch them in the backside on the way out of the mission but it seemed that they too were using a Plasma type weapon.

There does seem to be something strange going on with the Borg adaption.

Iíve cleared my adaption and fired a standard 3 burst shot at a drone only to see the Borg adapt to me has soon has the 1st bolt struck them.

Iíve also had one instance where Iíve cleared my adaption and never fire off a shot and still had the adaptation icon appear on me again.

Iíve also had Borg adapt to me using melee attacks with my hand weapons.
That was more likely because the Borg adapt on a per shot basis and a Minigun fires a lot of shots. The energy type wasn't the problem, it was the weapon type; Miniguns and any other automatic weapon are useless against the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
That was more likely because the Borg adapt on a per shot basis and a Minigun fires a lot of shots. The energy type wasn't the problem, it was the weapon type; Miniguns and any other automatic weapon are useless against the Borg.
Exactly that ^

It seemed like the borg adapted when the first 'bolt' hit them, but in reality is was the 'burst shot' that did it and the laggy interface in the game is confusing you.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'll give pulsewaves a try
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Do the borg adapt to AOE/DOT damage like the fire spell in the sci kits?

I can start with a freshly remodded gun, cast the thermal generator spell or whatever it's called on the borg, wait a few secs, and then fire my gun, and it will say "adapted". However, it seems like my gun still does damage. So is the "adapted" sign part of them adapting to the AOE spell? If I remod will the fire spell continue to do damage to them?

This also makes it really hard to tell when my gun has been adapted to, since I always get the "adapted" warning seemingly from the AOE attack. I have to monitor the damage each shot of my gun does to see when it drops off, and then remod. Being an a hectic STF with multiple people shooting at your target makes this all the harder, especially since as was mentioned above the weapon fire effect and subsequent hit being registered are a little laggy. It's extremely difficult to tell if I'm actually doing damage, or just sitting there shooting my gun for 1 damage per shot. As a result I end up probably over-remodding just so I can be sure I'm doing damage.

Anyone else experience this? Particularly with the Sci Physicist kit but I'm sure it happens with other AOE kit spells too. I've since moved to the Analyst kit as my main kit which doesn't have AOE spells, partly because the spells are more useful and partly because it sidesteps this annoying adaptation issue.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meynolt View Post
Also note, turrets etc. are great for drawing Borg attention. If you as an engineer want to inflict serious damage, use the Enemy Neutralization kit, it's bomb and mines are incredibly powerfull vs the Borg. The weapon disable attack and fuse armor are nifty too if your team is being shot at by a heavy or elite.
I really love the enemy neutralization kits. Mines are great, weapon malfuction stops that elite from one shotting you if you can't get into a cover and the bomb can deal over 1.5k damage to multiple borg. You should also carry another kit with the Quantum Mortar because you can place it and then switch to the mine kit. Of course mines go well with the 'up close & personal' playstyle of pulsewaves.

Quote:
Medical kits are kind of... well less useable in elite ground runs let us say.
Advantages of medical kit are extra resistances with triage, countering assimilation with nanite healing and keeping yourself (or a team mate) alive if you are quick. Otherwise I usually use the Physicist kit because who doesn't like making things combust?

Anyway, there's really no 'best' kit or weapon to use. It all depends on your playstyle. I wouldn't expect people without a background in FPS games to play like I do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie25 View Post
I'll give pulsewaves a try
Once you go pulseweave you never go back. Keep the MACO rifle for some long range shots and the set bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah i'll keep both of the weapons incase.