Lt. Commander
# 61
01-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Roll/Pass option would definitely be appreciated, or at least some way to avoid someone needing every item all the time (perhaps letting you press 'need, but should you receive it you can only obtain a total of 3 needed items per game?). That may make someone think twice about needing on something inane like a hypo.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
My advice would be to always choose "need". Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_2099 View Post
Something very very important to underline here.

People are not necessarily rolling NEED on items for their captains. In ground areas, items dropped might be extremely useful for a person' Officers and therefore, a NEED roll is logical I would think.

That's why I feel it should just be a PASS or ROLL system. Don't want the item? Pass on it. Want a chance at it? Roll on it.

Then, no one gets all "You took my loot" during group missions as often.

Cheers!
Simple_Solutions_Canuck
Yeah,

I think that this would be the best option.

Either you want a shot at getting the item or you donít.

Thereíd be no way for anyone to complain if they did not get something that they wanted.

I did another Elite STF run last night with a very good squad.

We all used the greed option on all items except the Borg drops. Towards the end of the Mission a very Rare Mk XII Shield dropped and I wanted it but because of how the flow of the mission had went up to that point I and 3 other team members chose Greed only to have our squad leader wait till we all made choices and go with need to snatch up the item.

I donít play many MMOs at all but of the ones that Iíve looked into the loot system has a silent random roll or a want or not option.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
They should just give us separate loot like mentioned before and be done with it.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
Yeah,

I think that this would be the best option.

Either you want a shot at getting the item or you donít.

Thereíd be no way for anyone to complain if they did not get something that they wanted.

I did another Elite STF run last night with a very good squad.

We all used the greed option on all items except the Borg drops. Towards the end of the Mission a very Rare Mk XII Shield dropped and I wanted it but because of how the flow of the mission had went up to that point I and 3 other team members chose Greed only to have our squad leader wait till we all made choices and go with need to snatch up the item.

I donít play many MMOs at all but of the ones that Iíve looked into the loot system has a silent random roll or a want or not option.
Just another reason to always, always, always roll NEED.

I used to roll greed, but quickly learned that it is basically the same thing as hitting the pass button in most groups.

Then I started checking what other people chose, and went with greed if that appeared to be what other players were doing. But, then you get situations like you describe above, when people greed/pass on mediocre loot, but need on things that are actually valuable.

So, now I don't even look. All need, all the time. Anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to click need as well. Or not. It is all the same to me.
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Until reading this thread I had no clue that there were such complicated rules governing the Need/Greed system. STO is the only game I've played that has a system like this. I click "Need" on good stuff, "Greed" on crappy stuff, and "Pass" on things that aren't worth clogging up an inventory space. If I'm in a hurry, in the middle of a battle, I almost always choose Need to save time.

I think STO probably has a lot of players like myself who have not been trained in the proper lootiquette.

I would think that choosing Need every time would be more effective than a subjective "What's need? What's greed?" system that nobody can check up on. Especially in a game like this one where PUGs are so common.

Anyway, I'm going to keep hitting "Need" if it's something I think I can sell. That may be greedy, but I've got to assume that someone else in my group is just as greedy as me.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I see a lot of people fail to understand the concept of need and greed.
It's fairly straight forward:
If the item is an upgrade for you, you need it. (Doesn't apply to alts or BOffs)
If not, you simply greed it.

Granted, people just hit need because it sells or it's useful for their alt/BOffs.

It's effectively like this in most other MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Easiest weapon against needers and WoW has already used it I think, is to make the item automatically bind to your toon if needed. This helps as those people who don't actually need the item and just want to auction it are no longer able to.
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Random roll for everything would be a lot better as need/greed is useless....
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Easiest weapon against needers and WoW has already used it I think, is to make the item automatically bind to your toon if needed. This helps as those people who don't actually need the item and just want to auction it are no longer able to.
Not really because people will still loot it for 1)their other characters if it's account wide, 2) for their boffs, 3) to NPC for the miniscule amount of EC, 4) Because they want to be jerks/tools, 5) they don't know better.