Lt. Commander
I'm coming back after a fairly large hiatus and never really liking ground combat to begin with I always let it go by the wayside. With the changes from when I last played I'm liking it a bit more, but to be blunt my knowledge of the 'min/max mechanics' for ground is disgustingly small.

I've got 3 max level characters and I'm 100% sure that all 3's ground layouts are pretty pathetic. So my goal for the next week is going to build an entire Boff set(and doff set) specifically for ground. So any recommendations on anything, weapons, consumables, class, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's a very largely open topic, but most info I can find is pretty generic and the most detailed information is always about space; thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Now I run the 'classic' Engineer ground setup...

3 Engineer BOs (with Superior Creative) running Phaser Turret 1, 2 & 3, and a dedicated Science Healer BO
Character is equiped with a Sniper Rifle (for long Range) and a Pulsewave (for close range). BOs are equiped with a mix of mini-guns and sniper rifles. (against the Borg, swap the mini-guns for blast assault rifles...)

Standard tactic. Upon seeing a enemy group, move to just within extreme Sniper Rifle Range, deploy all 9 Phaser Turrets, (max of 12 if using Engineering kits), then a Sniper shot to draw the target to the kill zone...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm a tac. I primarily use the fire team and grenade kits.

For most combat, this is my setup:

Me: two sniper rifles
3 engineers: Phaser turret 1, 2, support drone. For the ensign power I have one with mines and two with a shield heal.
1 sci: 3 heals and an AOE expose (not all that helpful anymore).

All armed with miniguns. Everything except Borg pretty much ceases to exist against four miniguns, their damage and rate of fire is ridiculous. I hang back and take targets of opportunity, but generally let my boffs take the lead in fights.

Problem being Borg. They'll adapt to miniguns within the first few shots, and your boffs will be locked in for a lot of wasted shots before they can remodulate. At the very least, I swap to pulsewaves with them (have two different energy types for yourself so they adapt separately, your doffs don't matter since assimilation is per-shooter and they only have one weapon), but I usually also use a tac with defensive powers (mostly there to take a lot of fire and often die while the engineers do the real damage) and don't keep the AOE expose, trading it for nanite health monitor.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I go strictly bare-fisted...Mano-a-Mano...Greco-Roman....skin on skin...naked....two warriors, fighting, sweating...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Now I run the 'classic' Engineer ground setup...

3 Engineer BOs (with Superior Creative) running Phaser Turret 1, 2 & 3, and a dedicated Science Healer BO
Character is equiped with a Sniper Rifle (for long Range) and a Pulsewave (for close range). BOs are equiped with a mix of mini-guns and sniper rifles. (against the Borg, swap the mini-guns for blast assault rifles...)

Standard tactic. Upon seeing a enemy group, move to just within extreme Sniper Rifle Range, deploy all 9 Phaser Turrets, (max of 12 if using Engineering kits), then a Sniper shot to draw the target to the kill zone...
I just came back for free to play and that is one crazy cool sounding setup. I've never had much of a strategy for ground combat, and I'd like to steal your method, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badname834854
I go strictly bare-fisted...Mano-a-Mano...Greco-Roman....skin on skin...naked....two warriors, fighting, sweating...
Sinewy bodies challenging the rock, because you're in love?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
I just came back for free to play and that is one crazy cool sounding setup. I've never had much of a strategy for ground combat, and I'd like to steal your method, please
I did say this is a 'Classic' Engineering configuration, so go ahead... (Engineers have the best toys...)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
The engineer turret bonanza is a very popular choice. It is by a long stretch the method for turning elite gorund combat with addled BOffs into a reliable win situation.

from personal preference I take one of each and an extra form the particular class of the toon. It means that I get different gameplay from each toon rather than the same (admittedly easier) fight each time.

The one tip-top piece of advice though - get a dedicated, proper healer with three heals. Take a good look at those BOffs and remove any with useless traits such as medics with +threat. It is worth spending time on your final BOff set to make the best use of those traits.

I will say though, if you play elite, be wary of giving a tac officer a high powered rifle and some recoil armour becuase he will get himself killed regularly. Stealth module or whatever it is called can reduce this quite profoundly.

As to weapons I am a big fan of me and my tac dude do the exploit damage and the rest carry stun pistols/rifles. This gives me a steady supply of exploit attack openings and stops healers etc from drawing aggro.

If you plan to play on easy (nomal) then just load up with miniguns for everyone and dont worry about aggro at all - you will mow them all down before it matters.