Lt. Commander
# 11
01-20-2012, 03:41 AM
I remember back before launch the idea of being able to share custom aliens was thrown around, basically creating your own race within the game. Cryptic even talked like it would be a feature. Then everyone seemed to forget about it and it never happened.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1701 View Post
I remember back before launch the idea of being able to share custom aliens was thrown around, basically creating your own race within the game. Cryptic even talked like it would be a feature. Then everyone seemed to forget about it and it never happened.
Make an alien, save it, send the headshot to anyone that wants it, they load the save, they have the alien. Just make the save in a uniform that is not from a c-store or special unlock. I think both of these are wearing non c-store parts http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b..._359418710.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b..._346519692.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2012, 04:17 AM
I'd really like to see the ability to share just the costumes, even with your own BOFFs, without it also reseting all their other attributes. It's doable as that is how the fleet uniforms work.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek88 View Post
I'd really like to see the ability to share just the costumes, even with your own BOFFs, without it also reseting all their other attributes. It's doable as that is how the fleet uniforms work.
Yep, and it might be a step towards getting the generics on ship interiors to wear what you do.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-20-2012, 04:24 AM
So will STO get shut down by SOPA if we have a picard or janeway toon ?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
So will STO get shut down by SOPA if we have a picard or janeway toon ?
The actors could sue, likeness rights.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-20-2012, 07:43 AM
I doubt many, if any, of the actors would sue because a player made an ingame likeness of them. Trek has made them for lack of a better word, immortal. The only reason it's in the EULA/TOS is just in case. I made my KDF character to resemble Data somewhat. It's obviously not that close to looking like Brent Spiner, but close enough to suit my needs in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
I doubt many, if any, of the actors would sue because a player made an ingame likeness of them. Trek has made them for lack of a better word, immortal. The only reason it's in the EULA/TOS is just in case. .
People not paid for things tend to sue, sometimes they win sometimes not, but likeness rights isn't a minor thing with video games, there is money to be made.

A quick google shows a lot of stuff going on with the subject
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ts+video+games

heh anyway, we've diverged a bit, the main thing is that you can share aliens, and have been able to from the start.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I have some tricks to get costumes to work across species types but they're "hacky" and of questionable EULA status. I don't want to get a cease and desist like Pendra did. They don't use external software but do involve very creative manipulation of game systems. That's also how I made my signature.

I used to use demorecord a lot but it's slow. I now have one technique to transfer costumes across species lines, providing slider values are consistent, and another technique to completely disable all slider and species restrictions in the character creator. And a third technique to view NPC only costumes such as the EV suits seen in the F2P trailer.

This is done without decompiling the game files or using external software. It is done in-game. It does not allow you to actually save or create a costume that falls outside of normal restrictions but you can view it in the editor. For legal and technical reasons, I shouldn't say anything more than that.

But check this out:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7...han99sixhe.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Lev, you have any links to the pics from the closed beta thread?
And they should have hired Pendra..