Lt. Commander
Not the best series in general. I'm just talking the opening sequence.

In my opinion:

Voyager - the most nautical feeling/looking opening sequence of all trek variants.
TOS - The original. The one that defined the mission statement for all later incarnations
DS9 - The opening has a feel of the age of discovery. More nautical feel than TNG
TNG - Re-use of Jerry Goldsmith's iconic score from ST:TMP. No originality. Would be worse if not for:
Enterprise - I almost turned off the pilot due to how bad the song is. The imagery, touching on spaceflight's roots, was nice, but the song... EGAD! Horrible. Just horrible.

Your thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Voyager had a nice intro. TNG was epic for its time. DS9 is my favorite. ENT was pretty cool in that they used so many pieces in creating that montage. I don't remember what TOS' intro was... so...?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
i like ds9. the music is great and the shots of the station look really nice.

voyagers is excellent as well visually.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
Not the best series in general. I'm just talking the opening sequence.

In my opinion:

Voyager - the most nautical feeling/looking opening sequence of all trek variants.
TOS - The original. The one that defined the mission statement for all later incarnations
DS9 - The opening has a feel of the age of discovery. More nautical feel than TNG
TNG - Re-use of Jerry Goldsmith's iconic score from ST:TMP. No originality. Would be worse if not for:
Enterprise - I almost turned off the pilot due to how bad the song is. The imagery, touching on spaceflight's roots, was nice, but the song... EGAD! Horrible. Just horrible.

Your thoughts?
Mirror Universe Enterprise opening was best IMO
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2012, 11:33 AM
TNG.
I don't know why, but the theme song should be used more often (like the SW one). It is epic.
And the captain's speech with "explore strange new worlds" also adds to the uniqueness.

I honestly don't know why they didn't use them more often and why the TMP/TNG theme wasn't used in the new ST film.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
TNG's = #1 for one reason : it has Patrick Stewart's voice in it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I think the openings match the overall tone of each series

TOS: Doing the best they can on a low budget
TNG: Rehash of the original with more modern graphics
DS9: Somber and serious
VOY: Wandering and aimless
ENT: Pointless and random

DS9 is my favorite, but TNG's is a classic. Even my three year old daughter was singing along with the TNG theme last night.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
My favorite would have to be Voyager. Jerry Goldsmith really made an emotive piece in my opinion which told a story about how they were stranded, faced adversities and were on their own, with only the strength of their Captain and the crew to get by.

Here is a link to a trekker adding his own Lyrics to the VOY theme. Be warned, its comically geeky, but if you spend some time thinking about it (and not criticizing this guy for his singing or attire - braver than most) then I would hope that you can see that the theme works well with lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAiCB7YmmY

I am continually awed by the talent Goldsmith has shown.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I grew up with the original series (yes, I'm an Olde Pharte), so that will always be the defining example for me.

TNG updated it very nicely, so it comes in #2.

DS9 and Voyager tie @ #3 for me, but I didn't enjoy either show as much as TOS or TNG.

And Enterprise's opening? Strange, stupid montage with some wandering orchestral piece that had no energy or excitement at all? That was something intended for some other show, that got copy/pasted into the Enterprise series. And reflected the quality of the whole show perfectly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
None.

Opening sequences are at this point useless and I just find them to be a waste of time. I love the fact than more and more shows are getting rid of them.