Lt. Commander
# 1 It keeps patching
01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi
New to STO so I have just downloaded the STO pack (>3GB). After downloading, I installed it and started the launcher. However it then need to patch which I did another >2GB download. Thinking it was done I than started the aluncher again, and now its patching a >5GB download.
Can someone please tell me how many of these patches there are? And when do i actually get to play the game?

Regards,
Lateanguest
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Response with humor:

It will continue to patch until tribbles pour out of your PC.

Semi-serious response:

Be patient. Shouldn't take a huge number of patches.

Edited because I iz a derp.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
huh that was the furry thing that ran across the floor than!!

Ok so i have the "disable on-demand patching" set, I did a restart of the launcher and it still went ahead and tried applying the patch. Possibly a mandatory patch or something. Well at least I can cancel it and it appears to start of from where it left of.

Thaks for the help, will give an update when it/if it gets through this.

Regards,
Lanteanguest
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanguest
huh that was the furry thing that ran across the floor than!!

Ok so i have the "disable on-demand patching" set, I did a restart of the launcher and it still went ahead and tried applying the patch. Possibly a mandatory patch or something. Well at least I can cancel it and it appears to start of from where it left of.

Thaks for the help, will give an update when it/if it gets through this.

Regards,
Lanteanguest
'disable on-demand patching' (disable patching during game play) is going to make your Launcher Patch much larger, (because now it has to download ALL the patches from the Launcher, including those for files that you will probably never use...)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
'disable on-demand patching' (disable patching during game play) is going to make your Launcher Patch much larger, (because now it has to download ALL the patches from the Launcher, including those for files that you will probably never use...)
This is exactly true. Disabling on-demand patching is the opposite of what you want.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
This is exactly true. Disabling on-demand patching is the opposite of what you want.
*puts on dunce cap* Ah well...I'll go sit in my corner then. The search for knowledge is neverending...and we learn from our mistakes.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTelamon001
*puts on dunce cap* Ah well...I'll go sit in my corner then. The search for knowledge is neverending...and we learn from our mistakes.
Oh, it's not like that. Take the hat off.
Personally, I Disabled the On-Demand patchicng the day it was offered.

I played a different game once, ONCE, that ran all of it's patches by on-demand. I found it so annoying having to stop and wait soooo often, that I stopped playing it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, I too am of the opinion (though that's exactly what it is -- an opinion) that it's much better to disable 'patch-on-demand.' I like to think the best thing is to explain the advantages and drawbacks of each, so everyone can make an informed choice, because you don't get anything 'for free' either way -- either method is a tradeoff, essentially.

The benefit of 'patch-on-demand' is that you get in-game faster. Once the launcher has fetched all the 'core' files that it needs to run the game, you can start playing, though some other files will not have been downloaded. For instance, if you've never been to the Orellius Sector, maybe not all the asset files for that sector have been sent. That's all well and good, as you likely won't go there for a bit. But once you finally do -- that's when the catch comes in. (This is all just an example -- I have no idea what specific elements are actually patched when, only how it works overall.)

That data is then patched, 'on-demand' when you go visit Orellius. In this case, you may be playing along, then experience some rather long loading screens because your system is actually downloading the new data. This can be awkward if you're in a group with others who already have said data, as they might zone in and be wondering what's taking you so long to zone in as well. So anytime you do something 'new' that calls for data you haven't already downloaded because it was 'not entirely necessary' at the time, you're going to have some loading time.

Without 'patch-on-demand,' when you install the game, or anytime a new patch is installed, your launcher downloads -everything.- This means a longer wait for your install, a longer wait for a patch, but the flipside is, no matter where you go or what you do, you've already got all the data files needed locally on your hard drive. Longer wait to get in, no waiting later on as you play.

One other effect of note is that 'patch-on-demand' does spread out the demand on the patch servers over a wider span of time, where if everyone is patching completely when a new update comes out, it's going to be more work for the patch server in a shorter period of time. This is the main benefit of it from the game-provider's point of view, and why companies tend to like to encourage 'patch-on-demand.' IMO, of course.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the full patch and then enjoy my gaming sessions without having to wait for an area to 'patch-in' when I try to go there. But YMMV. If you're just giving the game a try for the first time, maybe start out using 'patch-on-demand' so you can get in and have a look around. But if you plan to stay, I'd say click it back off later, start the launcher one night before you go to bed, and let it patch in the rest of the data files for you. It might make your play experience smoother later.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
My internet is fast enough compared to the slowness of my computer that it doesn't make a difference. So I just patch on demand. Patching on Demand does help spread out the strain.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Great replies, thanks a mill.
I am swinging towards allowing it to patch, but does anyone have any idea as to how much in GB i could still have to download before it is finished patching?

Regards,
Lanteanguest