Lt. Commander
# 1 DX11 is 20% Slower than DX9
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm experiencing performance in DX11 that is slower than DX9, across the board, on NV GPUs or AMD GPUs. Currently tested on the new Radeon HD 7970 DX11 Beta is averaging 20% slower than DX9 mode at the same settings. Doesn't matter if its on ground missions, flying around sector space, running around ESD, or running around the Academy. This performance degradation is also being experienced on NVIDIA GPUs, specifically on a GTX 590, using latest drivers.

Just reporting that fact, been testing performance between DX11 and DX9 all day on Holodeck for a possible performance review, but this is what I'm experiencing at this point in time, DX11 is slower.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
I'm experiencing performance in DX11 that is slower than DX9, across the board, on NV GPUs or AMD GPUs. Currently tested on the new Radeon HD 7970 DX11 Beta is averaging 20% slower than DX9 mode at the same settings. Doesn't matter if its on ground missions, flying around sector space, running around ESD, or running around the Academy. This performance degradation is also being experienced on NVIDIA GPUs, specifically on a GTX 590, using latest drivers.

Just reporting that fact, been testing performance between DX11 and DX9 all day on Holodeck for a possible performance review, but this is what I'm experiencing at this point in time, DX11 is slower.
Experienced the same performance difference, in dx11 vs dx9

Tested with HD 5870 and latest catalyst
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Brent I didnt know that was you!

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...ormance_review

I go by crimson on the hard forums Not that i post much.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
ATI is aware of the performance difference and is investigating a driver change to help optimize for the way our app is using their hardware.

Dave
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrypticDave
ATI is aware of the performance difference and is investigating a driver change to help optimize for the way our app is using their hardware.

Dave
Hey, it's Dave! The awesome Dev that worked so hard for us to get the Dynamic Lighting working. Good to see you still around.

It's good news that ATI is looking at their driver for STO. I'll /subscribe to this thread to hopefully keep "In the Know" on updates.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2012, 06:52 AM
i also have a bit weird behavior here.

if i stand still the FPS is fine and i have 99% GPU load / 50% CPU load

but as soon as i start to look around (left mouse button + movement) the FPS just drops by 5 - 20 FPS and GPU load goes down to 75% - 85% / CPU load goes up to 75 - 85%

my *guess* is that the increased CPU load slows down the GPU, so i would look for something, while *turning camera* that increases CPU load more than it should.

in DX9 mode this framedrop does not happen

System:

MSI N460GTX (latest nVidia BETA drivers, did not see a new WHQL in months...)
Core i5 2500k @ 4,6GHz (i don't think you can expect that much GHz from the casual user to begin with, so this NEEDS to be lower)

oh and lowering all graphics options or one by one does only provide a change about maybe 5 FPS up, but the fps drop itself still happens unchanged.

hope this will help to nail it down?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Much MUCH worse than 20% for me -- though the behavior is quite odd -- after the server came back up yesterday I suddenly found the game unplayable on ground missions -- 10-15FPS on a system that was running 60+ before... The only thing that fixed it was setting it to DX9, thing is I didn't set it to the DX 11 beta in the first place so...

What made it really odd was literally the slowdown only showed up on ground missions, and MSI Afterburner was only reporting 30-40% GPU use... Setting it to DX9 I see 80% use. Would be nice to see 100% sometime

i7 870, GTX 560ti primary, GTX 260 running secondary displays and dedicated CUDA, 8 gigs RAM, Win 7 x64.