Lt. Commander
# 111
01-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Yeah... that'll show 'em!

I know it's designed to raise awareness, but it's not like this bill was sneaking through.
You would be amazed how UNINFORMED most people are... It is downright frightening... Of course a lot of people get their news from the big media companies who have a vested interest in making sure this passes so of course they are not going to inform anyone about it.

The sweetest part of this bill is that, if it went into law as is, ANYONE with any clout at all could suggest that a certain site was linked to pirated material. Once they do this if the ISP or Host that puts that site up on the net takes the site down immediately then they are safe from any further legal action against them. If they do NOT take this action and it is found that the site is indeed linking or hosting pirated materials then the ISP or Host gets into Legal trouble. So it is in their best interest to take the site down at the first suggestion that there is a problem and to make the deal EVEN better the one who sited the problem to begin with is 100% legally safe even if they were 100% wrong or lied.

So effectively they can pull down any site anywhere anytime they want without any legal recourse against them. ANY social site that allows linking or uploading of materials is automatically going to be destroyable by someone popping into their community and uploading or linking and then ratting them out. (Yes, this can be used like a weapon to destroy these sites.)

So yeah... It is a BIG problem and not something to just scoff and roll your eyes about. Personally, I would prefer if Google, Face Book, Twitter, Yahoo, Wikipedia, etc... Shut their entire service down for a few days and just see how much folks would be interested in that new Web Experience that they would have under SOPA / PIPA.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Personally, I am against these bills/laws. That said, this thread is A) Off topic(as it is not STO discussion) and B) political in nature(because it is discussing bills/laws being passed in Congress). Both of those are against the forum rules.
I suspect the moderators allowed my post to stay on the forums because it was a topic that a) Involved the Internet in general and b) was going to show up sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Yeah... that'll show 'em!
I know it's designed to raise awareness, but it's not like this bill was sneaking through.
Actually, that's exactly what politicians had in mind; they had planned to fast track these bills through committee in order to get a quick vote in and pass them into law before the general public caught on. It's why I felt I had to speak out to a community in which I am a part (as a lifetime member at that, putting my Lifetime sub in possible jeopardy, etc.).

To be completely honest, I suspected this thread to be removed, and for me to get an infringement point or a temp ban. I think it really says something that the moderation team's only action was to move the thread and to change the title from "Why I Cannot Play STO At This Time" specifically to "Sopa / Pipa", in order to corral any discussion on the subject to this thread. Instead of ignoring the issue, they made a place specifically for it. Of course, it was probably to make moderation of the forums easier for them, but they very well could have just deleted this and any similar post altogether instead.

That being said, for the near future, SOPA and PIPA my be very well dead. Vote dates have been shelved, many proponents have become opponents, and all because of Internet discussion and discourse. I'll see how things unravel over the next few days, but I may be back sooner than I expected, unfortunately just in time for the new semester to begin.

I am still a bit disappointed that neither Cryptic nor PWE have spoken out against either of these bills. I can understand not wanting to be involved in the debate, but at the same time, with the ESA supporting these badly-written bills to ineffectually fight piracy at the cost of inalienable civil rights, it's like watching a travesty occur and not doing anything about it.
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
10F is the home of offtopic conversation, if you want to talk trek you can post in the discussion area :3 Or here.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-21-2012, 06:24 AM
The ESA dropped their support for SOPA/PIPA yesterday.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/esa-sopa/

Guess you can play again, Obsidius.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post

While good that they did its just a business decision. They are dropping support because its bad for business, losing customers and as said in the last paragraph people were looking to boycott their events. Just because they are stopping support for pipa and sopa doesn't mean they still wouldn't want it to go through, and they dropped out when they realized they were in a sinking ship.

I'm not saying anyone should just ban anything funded by these people but don't let this change your view of them.
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah....ummm...political threads get locked.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
This one hasn't, and good thing too!

Glad that the bill has been drawn to a close for the time being, we'll have to be ready for the next one =D
Lt. Commander
# 120 Why I am playing STO again
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Yeah....ummm...political threads get locked.
<Looks at date on OP>
To be fair, the OP was ninja moved and the name ninja edited. Some of my previous posts note what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post

While good that they did its just a business decision. They are dropping support because its bad for business, losing customers and as said in the last paragraph people were looking to boycott their events. Just because they are stopping support for pipa and sopa doesn't mean they still wouldn't want it to go through, and they dropped out when they realized they were in a sinking ship.

I'm not saying anyone should just ban anything funded by these people but don't let this change your view of them.
I read this yesterday, but it's also important to note that they didn't actually apologize for backing it in the first place, if you read the press release carefully. As The Escapist pointed out, their final position on the matter is very neutral, in a hope to appease either side of the argument (but really not doing a good job either way).

In any case, they've attempted to placate everyone involved, which is the best we're going to get. Admittedly, I was online last night messing with the Duty Officer system (but still haven't gotten around to my points respec). I'd consider this the end of the battle, at least for now. I'll give any legislation a fair once-over before condemning it, and hope that, if any new bills are introduced, that they keep the average Internet user in mind instead of treating everyone "guilty until proven innocent".