Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
(I know that should be in Feedback or somewhere else, but this is the only place I can make a thread or reply, my account isn't blocked or something. Bug or totaly 0 access? If there's non-agressive moderator, it would be nice to move this thread.)

So, near every day since a week we have 1-2 hour downtime thanks to "maintenance". Time of this maintenance works is the worst time... Why? Becouse between 16-18 (4-6PM) is the time when most players are online. Even if we are living in US, the update is on the morning, some people are playing in this time. We have weekend... so.

For example:

http://i43.tinypic.com/el3e5w.jpg - small chart about update, online players and when update should be. Maybe someone is playing in USA? So what, if he can play on the morning he get's the downtime... If someone is working on the morning in EU, he comes to home, and what... and downtime!

Why this can't be done in 8 AM UCT? Most people in US are working or are in school. Most in US are sleeping. The perfect time for update! But...

... but propably here customers are not most important, and the technical part of team is working only in office? Be serious, downtime when most people are online. Pathetic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Where did you get your data? It's been stated repeatedly for two years that downtime is scheduled for times when the least number of concurrent users are playing. Do you mean to suggest they are not being truthful about this?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-El
Where did you get your data? It's been stated repeatedly for two years that downtime is scheduled for times when the least number of concurrent users are playing. Do you mean to suggest they are not being truthful about this?
Somehow I can't belive that most amount of players are online in midnight in UE and US. Somehow I can't,,, Example of near every European user:

8-16 School/Work
16-17 free time
17-18 (sometimes to 19) DOWNTIME
18-22 free time

In US we have morning, some users are playing even on the morning. Every time I see the "maintenance message" very much users get frustrated.

Don't be so ignorant. This is pure laziness of game authors. They could do that in other time, in the night betwen US and EU. Somehow I can't belive that much more players are playing in the night, rather than afternoon (16-19 UCT or 8-13 US central time).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardulec
Example of near every European user:
Data to corroborate this statement?

Quote:
This is pure laziness of game authors.
Any data to provide to this either?

I would love to see any information you could provide, as if they are just doing it out of 'selfishness' as opposed to customer satisfaction that's a pretty big deal as it's contrary to what they have always said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Data to corroborate this statement?



Any data to provide to this either?
What they said. Look, it's proven time and time again--it doesn't matter what time maintenance is scheduled for, someone's gonna whine about how "PWE/Cryptic hates customers in (insert region of the world) because their maintenance is ALWAYS at (x) time!!!" Don't believe that? Check the mass QQing every single maintenance thread. Which, btw, daily maintenances are done at this point to freshen up the server. Once things settle down and/or new hardware is brought online, probably won't see daily maintenance/restarts. (Seriously, like one server is going to handle such a massive load WITHOUT needing to be restarted and flushed out daily? Yeah...an extra server or 2 at F2P launch might have been prudent, but hey, we weren't privy to the estimates and we all know the old adage about the best laid plans of mice and men....)

Last I checked it isn't possible to simply stop the rotation of the world and pick a time that pleases everyone and is still feasible to operations.

And, at least you get ample advance notice of such maintenance (in most cases) But PWE isn't just going to randomly pick a time every single maintenance simply to please everyone. It just isn't possible.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
The best way to remember Cryptic as far as this game is concerned is "We only care about our American players". This may seem a bit harsh but you only have to look at the timings for the Defari Invasion event, as to do that we need to be up at 2am in the morning. Timings are done around the devs schedules and I am sure if it were a bigger company they would have a European server as well but right now we just have to grin and bear it.

Maybe in the future when the mergers with PW servers gets more advanced we will see less downtime, in fact optimistically speaking these downtimes could be while they are doing said migrations.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia
The best way to remember Cryptic as far as this game is concerned is "We only care about our American players". This may seem a bit harsh but you only have to look at the timings for the Defari Invasion event, as to do that we need to be up at 2am in the morning. Timings are done around the devs schedules and I am sure if it were a bigger company they would have a European server as well but right now we just have to grin and bear it.

Maybe in the future when the mergers with PW servers gets more advanced we will see less downtime, in fact optimistically speaking these downtimes could be while they are doing said migrations.
The event schedule I can agree with(I don't play at NA primetime due to my schedule) and tend to miss it. It should happen more frequently and be a rotating schedule.

As for an EU server, that won't happen. They said they want 1 server, I don't see that changing anytime soon; just like we won't see RP, PvP, PvE servers. The population definitely couldn't even support it anyways.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
The event schedule I can agree with(I don't play at NA primetime due to my schedule) and tend to miss it. It should happen more frequently and be a rotating schedule.

As for an EU server, that won't happen. They said they want 1 server, I don't see that changing anytime soon; just like we won't see RP, PvP, PvE servers. The population definitely couldn't even support it anyways.
I don't see it staying at one server for long, though. It just doesn't seem logical to try and handle the player load (which, logically speaking, is beyond what could have been reasonably projected) on a single server.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardulec
Example of near every European user:
European here, GMT timezone, and the downtime coincides with when the majority of us Eurofolk in GMT are finishing up at work/school...

And you can already see the maintenance is starting to taper off. It was 2-3 hours when f2p first launched, now it's an hour a day. Eventually, it'll go back to the weekly maintenance on Thursday. Patience is a virtue! :p

I can't believe people can't find something else to do for an hour in the afternoon/evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardulec
Don't be so ignorant. This is pure laziness of game authors. They could do that in other time, in the night betwen US and EU. Somehow I can't belive that much more players are playing in the night, rather than afternoon (16-19 UCT or 8-13 US central time).
Yes, sure is lazy of them that they're in working on the weekend... but nevermind that, why not ask them to work through the night too!? They probably don't have families or lives of their own outside of STO. God knows some players don't seem to if they can't forego an hour of playtime.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTelamon001
I don't see it staying at one server for long, though. It just doesn't seem logical to try and handle the player load (which, logically speaking, is beyond what could have been reasonably projected) on a single server.
Are you serious?

There is a difference in terminology here I'm guessing. When we are speaking of 'one server' we mean one game world. The game does not operate on one shard of hardware. Not to mention I think your grossly overstating how many players F2P brought; as it's not even anywhere close to the amount of concurrent UU's that launch had; and the TECH should be better from launch..lol

Quote:
Yes, sure is lazy of them that they're in working on the weekend... but nevermind that, why not ask them to work through the night too!? They probably don't have families or lives of their own outside of STO. God knows some players don't seem to if they can't forego an hour of playtime.
This argument would work if we were talking about employees developing content and not IT. Companies that operate around the clock with user access will always have a tech(s) on the clock. So it wouldn't be hard for them to restart the servers during their normal 'night hours'.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.