Lt. Commander
# 1 One question
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
If a foundry mission were to be based on, or reference something outside of startrek, would that violate anything?
Lt. Commander
# 2 Same question
01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I was wondering this as well. It's clear in the EULA that we can't impersonate any devs or characters from cannon but it's fuzzy on other material.

Example: I want to name ships in honor of characters outside ST like Malcolm Reynolds and Samantha Carter. We see USS Serenity all over so I'm guessing that's okay. But if I were to actually create a NPC the looks, name and tone of Malcolm Reynolds, I'm guessing that's a violation, but I'm guessing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
In fact the EULA is pretty clear on it:

"You may not make any copyrighted or trademarked material of third parties, and only may use the Star Trek Properties as explicitly defined in this agreement, without irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose "
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
So, i can forget about making a first contact mission involving references to MST3K, right?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
MST3K? That's like, referencing something thats referencing something else?

All I got to say: "Yo dawg, I heard you liked things like that."
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, I don't know about referencing. I would say contact customer support. A friend of mine has his ship named Andromeda Ascendant , his captains name is Dillon Hunt, his First Officer BO is named Bekka Valentine, his Science BO is named Trance Gemini and his Engineering BO is named Shamus Harper. (All referenced from another show by G. Roddenberry 'Andromeda') And as far as I know STO admins have not said a thing about it..

So who knows...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
I was thinking about a Holo-file of an encounter with a manned Bolian satellite (the reference) taken out of orbit by a cosmozoan.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
Well, I don't know about referencing. I would say contact customer support. A friend of mine has his ship named Andromeda Ascendant , his captains name is Dillon Hunt, his First Officer BO is named Bekka Valentine, his Science BO is named Trance Gemini and his Engineering BO is named Shamus Harper. (All referenced from another show by G. Roddenberry 'Andromeda') And as far as I know STO admins have not said a thing about it..

So who knows...
Andromeda Ascendant is too long, doesn't fit. I tried it. You see a lot of Andromeda's and Ascendants out there. I have both a Pax Magellanic and a Crimson Sunrise and haven't heard anything. I have a ship now called Trance Gemini. You'd think if it were an issue they'd have filters looking for that sort of thing. How do we know if material is copyrighted? I've looked to see if Malcolm Reynolds and Pax Magellanic are protected and I can't find anything.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
The rule is as follows. You may have any cultural references as long as it doesn't border on Plagiarism. Plagiarism includes Quote's, Likeness, Plot, Story and Titles.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
Andromeda Ascendant is too long, doesn't fit. I tried it..
Way back when (during head start I think) your ship name could be 32 characters. Guess they changed that.
Pitty.