Lt. Commander
# 11
01-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
And be glad for that cause else you would have instead of "bwahh there is no pvp contnet" this "bwahhh faction imbalance thread number 1213512359"

And you know its true. :p
Faction imbalance discussions exist from PvP which is basically what any of this is. Sure your right, the crying that will be done will need a lot of box of tissues when a player dedicated to one Faction which gets beat comes in claiming their Faction needs better ships
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Faction imbalance discussions exist from PvP which is basically what any of this is. Sure your right, the crying that will be done will need a lot of box of tissues when a player dedicated to one Faction which gets beat comes in claiming their Faction needs better ships
This game has an artificial population imbalance placed on it (due to the KDF level restriction). So I don't know if it's a problem that really has a fix available to it you know what I mean? The KDF are sort of kept as the smaller population by design at this point. You have to level up to your 20s to just access them.

Or did I read that wrong? I could be doing that. If so, my bad.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Some Issues with this:
1. 10 klingons can easily overpower 10 feds
2. If the klingons even had one or two carriers, you know you've already lost
3. If one side is winning over the other, then most people will be compelled to just play whatever side is winning.

I could see this being added way down the track, but am not expecting it until season 7/8.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This game has an artificial population imbalance placed on it (due to the KDF level restriction). So I don't know if it's a problem that really has a fix available to it you know what I mean? The KDF are sort of kept as the smaller population by design at this point. You have to level up to your 20s to just access them.

Or did I read that wrong? I could be doing that. If so, my bad.
There's also an artificial population balance in that everyone's second slot is designated for Klingon use now.

After you've leveled your first toon, you have to spend real money not to play Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsofasolarempire
Some Issues with this:
1. 10 klingons can easily overpower 10 feds
2. If the klingons even had one or two carriers, you know you've already lost
3. If one side is winning over the other, then most people will be compelled to just play whatever side is winning.

I could see this being added way down the track, but am not expecting it until season 7/8.
I don't think the devs will pursue a territory control model that doesn't allow for indirect PvP to be given equal consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
There's also an artificial population balance in that everyone's second slot is designated for Klingon use now.

After you've leveled your first toon, you have to spend real money not to play Klingon.
I don't really see that as helpful. People, especially in the context of the current dilithium dominated economy, aren't exactly encouraged to play the KDF alt. PWE kind of sets it up to encourage you to take the easier path, which is to spend real money on C-Store stuff.

I think the KDF population obstacle is much stronger than the balancing positive you're highlighting. I could be wrong. Has there been a huge boost in KDF population since the game went free to play?

Anyone got some experiences they want to share to help further that discussion? I am curious and fascinated by how things are evolving.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
No you just have to grind some dil to buy 2 more slots.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
IMO I think this is the missing piece with PvP in STO. Sure you can do a PvP mission, shot the other guy, and gain new gear, but what is the point after you have the best set you can get?

PvP in STO needs a new point and purpose, and give players at all levels a reason to do it.

The system Meachwarrior has go to is what I kept saying on these forums. Make the PvP system effect some part of the game, where players control the way that zone will look. Yes i know the DEv team is hard at work, and I am hoping they come up with something great.

Now I have an idea, and I adjust it as more and more content comes out for STO, so this is the lastest and greast version of it. Based on what I seen work in other games, here we go:

1. All levels can enter this zone - Let everyone be open to this zone to play it, and grant their level gear to when they finish it.

2. Any epic PvP zone should play a role in the gameplay of the faction who controls it.

3. 1st part should always be a space battle - Fight your way to the starbase that orbits whatever planet.

4. 2nd part Take over control of Starbase. - The base must fall to enter the last part.

5. 3rd part control of planet - Once you control the planet you control the zone, and a countdown timer starts to when a new attack can happen.

Now to make this place worth it's weight, you have to sell gear here, that you can't get some place else. And make it so you faction gains a few bonus of sometype, just for having control of that zone.

It's a simple but yet go way to give people a since of lose in the game, without risking any gear they have. I know people don't want to lose person items in any game, but why not have it set so factions can lose zones in the game? Might be what we need in STO. After all it is war now right?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
For those who do not know the term "Online Persistency" within MMO; it simply means an area of the game that can be affected by players, it changes but does not revert back to it's original state. This is part of territory control games.

The new MechWarrior Online is going to be Online Persistent or have "Online Persistency" as the MechWarrior FAQ states but I'm not even sure persistency is a word. Anyway it is probably a major part of the game and reaction is seriously positive.

Why does Startrek Online not have a persistent arena?

Battlestar Galactic 3D browser game is massive and that is all about taking asteroids, sending a vessel to mine them dry and controlling the space around them. In that game water is the top resource, that is the resource that leads to buying from the games store, it leads to the ultimate upgrades. Players fight over water asteroids in groups of 25 v 25, the battles can be intense.

In STO it would obviously be dilithium. Cryptic can you not at least try a simplified version, an zone with a moon, a mining operation on it allowing a single instance which can be monitored? Players would need to beam down away teams to take control of it much like we had in a PvP map once so I know that is easy to do.

A single running instance with a limit of 10 v 10, VA players.

When are we going to get anything to play in STO? I've already tried SWTOR and I like it but I'm going to wait until it gets a year of improvements because I want my experience on it to be the best first time around unlike STO.

Now I'm seriously eyeing up MechWarrior because unlike STF's in STO every battle won't be the same and lets face it. After 2 years of playing STO all we have now is STF's.
Wow, Mech Warriors online with a persistant PvP area.... when is this going to be released, I used to love that game series?

Lots of game have this setup, specially for PvP... Pirates of the burning sea... Planetside to name a few...