Lt. Commander
# 11
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRook View Post
Just goes to show ya that even high-ranking officers are just people too when you peal back the layers ehh?
Onions have layers...
If I pealed an Admiral, would I find layers?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Okay, you've listed a good dozen Admirals. Now, I ask you this:

How many Admirals does Starfleet have (Pre-STO)? Probably a lot.

And now the most important question:

How interesting, and how memorable, would a story be about a clean, regular old desk-jockey Admiral who just does his job?

This happens throughout written history. There are a bunch of Generals and Admirals who are remembered for great deeds, and a whole other handful who are remembered for fiascos and corruption. Now, how many Generals and Admirals does the United States have? Probably hundreds more who don't get much attention, but get their job done.

Yes, there are corrupt Admirals, but they more than likely aren't the majority. The majority just aren't interesting to write about.

Besides, I think I can let Dougherty and even Satie SOMEWHAT off the hook. They're not corrupt, just zealously loyal to the Federation, and dedicated to its "Betterment"
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
This is what hapens when you are left behind a desk for far too long.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
But Admiral Janeway was probably one of the worst. She even got promoted over Picard. Maybe she ordered the Doctor to wipe out the minds of Starfleet Command. It wouldn't surprise me.
Or maybe Starfleet decided to to promote her as far away from the command chair as they possibly could without looking too much like a punishment.

Besides which, you couldn't drag Picard out of the captain's seat of a starship, let alone ones named Enterprise, if you stuck a black hole over his shiney head. Probably the biggest reason Riker finally gave up waiting; he knew Picard wasn't moving out of that seat anytime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Might I say that for the time altering Admirals, the Timeline still exists but on a different string, The books and shows mention this.