Lt. Commander
# 21
10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm curious if there have been any improvements to the FPS on the F2P server.

I haven't had a chance to test it out, but I'm curious.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxu View Post
I'm curious if there have been any improvements to the FPS on the F2P server.

I haven't had a chance to test it out, but I'm curious.
Nope... There hasnt
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-03-2011, 02:46 AM
To OP.
In regards to your problems. Honestly it sounds like you have something else going on with your system for your fps to drop so much.
Honestly I would try this before spending a ton of money.

1. turn off background programs (taskbar items, like steam, camera software, even some anti-virus programs like norton tend to slow down systems)
2. Don't run browsers with multiple tabs open at once.
3. itunes is a system hog if you have it, the same about real player.
4. extra trash programs put in by computer maker (unless home built)
5. kill any unneeded programs that are running in task manager. like many software updaters, java, logitech, adobe. Before starting STO.

Also you might check if you have multi-core rendering enabled in options under the video tab in the troubleshooting area.

As a gamer from way back when windows 95 had memory and video problems out the ying yang. Anything you have running in the background takes away from your cpu and gpu ability to run the game properly. So I turn off everything that my system doesn't need to run while I'm gaming. Thus I never have slow downs like your are having.

later I hope this helps with your problems.
Just so you know my system specs.

AMD II x2 550 @2.8ghz
8 gigs ddr3 ram
ATI 6670 with 1 gig ddr3
500gig WD hard drive.
Realtek onboard sound.
21inch monitor.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf421
To OP.
In regards to your problems. Honestly it sounds like you have something else going on with your system for your fps to drop so much.
Honestly I would try this before spending a ton of money.

1. turn off background programs (taskbar items, like steam, camera software, even some anti-virus programs like norton tend to slow down systems)
2. Don't run browsers with multiple tabs open at once.
3. itunes is a system hog if you have it, the same about real player.
4. extra trash programs put in by computer maker (unless home built)
5. kill any unneeded programs that are running in task manager. like many software updaters, java, logitech, adobe. Before starting STO.
I do all of that and the UI does lag to hell and back, especially when there are a lot of objects on the screen. This is the only game apart from RIFT that give questionable performance at all settings.

Their UI has always been garbage. I remember when looking through the accolades window would slow down the game bigtime. But now it's manageable. So they have done some changes, just not enough.

Edit:

It seems that the lag for me is no longer there when a lot of objects are on screen.

I was in a match earlier with 5 carriers (lol) with no discernible lag.

I guess that mid-Sept patch did its job. Here's hoping it stays that way.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post

The UI needs a serious overhaul as it is, because it eats more Framerate than all the 3D Graphics combined -> http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=228866

The UI suffers from being CPU bound, and single threaded. Both of those problems are non-trivial to solve and changes we can trivially make don't typically achieve noticeable gains. With that said, we do know about it and we are looking for solutions.

FYI, this is what the OP is talking about. Its bad programming short and simple, and it needs a fix.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I have not seen this issues though I do believe it exist. It seems to affect ATI cards much less from what I have seen on the forums. I would suggest one thing and I am sure you probably have done it but I will suggest it so it is on the record.

A week or two ago my game suddenly went from being butter smoother on my three screens to being utter crap unless it was set to one screen only. I tried different driver versions, I tried various settings and none of it helped and I was getting really ****ed off.

So I made STO do a full systems file verification and while it reported nothing was wrong after the verification it now runs better than before. Give it a shot it might clear up some issues for you though it will not fix the coding issue it might help some.

Oh hey I just thought of this lol. It is a OLD trick I used to use when the timing would get off in a game that did not like multiple core CPU's and would screw up the animations or the game play or whatever. Try to manually assign the CPU part of STO to you least loaded core and manually set what you can to keep that core semi free. It can also work to set it to the second or third most used core if you have more than two and for it onto that thread. I have not done this in a while but when I used to do it it would give me some noticeable performance increases. It will not fix your issue nor will it be like having a brand new CPU for STO but it might get you enough to make the issues bearable or not as noticeable.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Except that dev post doesn't really explain why the UI is slow. Just that it's CPU-bound and singlethreaded. So what? Is it recalculating all displayed statistics on every game frame? If so, why?
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2012, 04:47 AM
Starbuck: Fix the fracking UI cryptic!

See even starbuck agrees!

This issue makes my game near unplayable.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I was getting slow downs too. Till I discovered the bios setting 'cpu thermal throttling'. With this disabled everything is fine