Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
If you made a character during the Winter event, that was an Engisgn and went to the Q event, you were told you could not do race until Lt 6. For some people that was an annoyance cause it meant a bit of quick grinding. That equated to doing the Azura, Vulcan and maybe the Lackney missions. At the end of those missions you were level 5 or beginning of 6 in the old system. Now if you do the same missions with a new character, you will at best be level 3.5.
During the winter event, I think you were able to get a XP boost from Q. That might be why levelling was faster.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Nope.No xp boost was applied during that event. At least none i went to get on my alt accounts.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Any 'STO oldtimer' - remeber that some of the Vet rewards are EXP boosts that Silvers will not have.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-26-2012, 12:25 AM
it might be worth while to buy an XP skill boost, if you really want to get leveled up for the event, you can buy them from the CStore, or if you have a few hundred thousand ECs, you can get them off the exchange.

According to the blog post on tuesday, you only need to be lvl 5 on the fed side or lvl 21 on the Klingon side to get the mission for the flagship, although you can't use the ship reward until VA/LG.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-26-2012, 12:29 AM
I still say the leveling is better than when the game first came out. I have no complaints about it - only gripe I have though is that now I can't skip to the Breen storyline at a certain rank, but oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbled.

If you are a bit upset due to the Feb event, don't worry - You can get the free package when you reach Lt 5 Fed and level 21 Klink.

As long as you get your alts to those levels on time, you should have no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-26-2012, 12:30 AM
From what I remember , they said that leveling was now curved , with the initial two (Lt. , LT.Com) being faster , and slowing down toward Com.+Cap. .
This was intended to lessen the grind with the initial few weapons/skills and to move you faster over to better offerings from the c-store (with the latter being only my theory :p) .
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
Cause I am not too happy about that one.

Leveling my alts, and I noticed that leveling up to Lt Commander is 50%+ slower. Pre-F2P launch, I had to do up to the 3rd mission to be Lt. 6 now Lt. 5. But now I have to do AT LEAST 4 to 5 of the storyline missions to get to the same point. That is time spending grinding through missions I would rather not have to, so I could be prepared for events like Q Winter Wonderland and the upcoming 2 Year Anniversary event.

...Snip
Being someone who was here on Day 1 (actually before day 1), I HOPE they slow the leveling down as almost everyone was an Admiral a week after release. Some before headstart was over. I hope they have slowed it down A LOT!

Cheers

BTW: You might want to change the link to the ATARI RULES in your sig...:p
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
When sto came out levelling was quickish but took me awhile as i played slowly and just 1 character. With the early access for f2p ppl i thought there's an idea to try all the content again since s4. I levelled so fast due to doff system and borg encounters its ridiculous. I hate how they speed up the early game so they force ppl to get to the next ship etc because i bought a cony just for the start and ended up canning it after half a week which is a waste of 4 and don't say well u get the phasers because i bought it for the ship visuals not the phasers. Would have been nicer if it lasted me at least 2 weeks to a month.

So i have played about 3-4 weeks now with my new char and im rear admiral upper half 49 and i have just got up to the cardassian missions which i have had to skip because i fancy the breen set. I mean i can always play them later of course but still. RA UH 49 within 3-4 weeks of casual play i.e 2-4 hrs a day and thats about 4 days a week ish doing just story missions, doff system and borg encounters and just finished the last romulan mission set. Levelling imo is very screwed up.

My thinking is that they wanted the f2pers to level up really quickly and encourage them to keep buying stuff in the cstore i.e ships and stuff as they progress quickly which also makes f2pers think they are progressing well and they think to keep playing. Which makes the game levelling solely for the cstore not for the experience of the story.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
Which makes the game levelling solely for the cstore not for the experience of the story.
Well, that's the reason FOR f2p....Cryptic got in trouble and Atari bought them, a year later Atari got tired of losing money so they sold it to Perfect World (which all their games are F2P) so NOW Perfect World has to make their money and the only way to do that is the few that will spend heaps at the C-Store. And the ones that spend heaps at the C-Store aren't the kiddies that get to Lt. Cmdr and say screw it because they can't get mum and dad to fork over money, the ones that spend the money are the older (20+) that have the resources and all they want to do is PVP or STF (Both requiring expensive (game or CP) gear.

They can't afford to be concerned with 'story'. I'm waiting to see them bring out Pay2Win super-ships and items. (PW is famous for that if you ever played Perfect World or Forsaken World)

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-26-2012, 03:26 AM
The leveling process is much faster than it was. I'm not sure how he got to level 6 while doing 3 mission in the past, unless it was a Q weekend or something. Ive levelled over a dozen FEDS and the process is now much faster than it was.